SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Discussion
My First Gas, Radio Setup Question

I am in the final assembly stages of my new 30cc Freestyle Extra 260, from AeroWorks. This is my first gas so please don't laugh (too loud) at my questions.

I am using a Spektrum DX8 transmitter.

I will be using aileron and aux 1 for ailerons, elevator and aux 2 for elevators and aux 3 for ignition cut-off. My question is, which is the best transmitter switch to tie the ignition cut-off to? Since this is my first gas, I have never had an engine cut-off before.

Thanks in advance for the help!
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2012
45 Posts
I use the trainer bind switch. YOU must intentionally press it to kill the engine. Not accidentally flip a toggle.
Just my.02cents
mkroe is offline Find More Posts by mkroe
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
I also use a DX8.

I use the R-trim button.

I prefer it because it is located in a safe location, requires a fair amount of pressure to push and in the event that I need to cut the motor after a landing
This allosw metol have my left hand controling the rudder (I fly many planes with "over powered" motors and often they tend to keep rolling after the landing, until I cut the motor off)

Personally I consider the trainer/bind swith too easy to bump accidentally.
(and I also teach on buddy-box every weekend)

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
I use top right rear switch on the 8. Since I dont use the other switch, its usually for the rudder rates, dont use them, dont need them, I rarely have a finger up there unless I need to kill the engine.

But, its really up to you the operator on which switch to use. You dont want to accidently hit it, but you still want to be able to reach it in case you need to kill the engine quickly.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,248 Posts
I use the Mix/throttle hold switch for the ignition (useing the gear channel) because I also have electric helicopters and that's the motor cutoff switch, it is easy to find in an emergency need to shut it off in a hurry situation. I use the left trim switch as a throttle cut.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,185 Posts
My theory use what ever switch you like as long as you don't bump it while flying....then use the same switch on all your airplanes.....no chance of getting forgetful and flipping the wrong switch between planes
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:21 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
My theory use what ever switch you like as long as you don't bump it while flying....then use the same switch on all your airplanes.....no chance of getting forgetful and flipping the wrong switch between planes
Exactly my point.
I just find the L and R trim buttons the safest. one accidental flip of the switch can result in losing the plane...
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Great suggestions, thank you everyone.

I also use my trainer switch when working with others at the field. I like the idea of using one of the aux trim switches as it would be difficult for me to hit during flight.

Thank you again...

Bob
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
Well that is a good use for a switch I probably would never use for something else. I run 2 radios, a Futaba 8FGS and a DX8, and I think both have the switches in the same area.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I use a mix of the aux 3 nob and the right rear mix switch... When flying I rotate the nob clockwise rendering the switch inactive... When I want to kill the engine I rotate the nob counter clockwise making the switch active... Pull the switch forward and it kills the engine... I like having two steps so I don't just flip a switch and I'm dead stick... I have this setup on all my models... I also use this switch on my heli's...
Crosswind7777 is offline Find More Posts by Crosswind7777
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:12 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,306 Posts
I have a plane set up with an IBEC with the Dx8 (which works great), and I put the ignition cutoff on the knob, with throttle kill on the trainer button (which I use as kill on all my planes).

With the IBEC I only have one (fail on) switch on the plane, and I like to prime with the ignition off.

The knob is handy for this, and there is no way it could be shut off by mistake in flight.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosswind7777 View Post
I use a mix of the aux 3 nob and the right rear mix switch... When flying I rotate the nob clockwise rendering the switch inactive... When I want to kill the engine I rotate the nob counter clockwise making the switch active... Pull the switch forward and it kills the engine... I like having two steps so I don't just flip a switch and I'm dead stick... I have this setup on all my models... I also use this switch on my heli's...
Crosswind - this is a cool setup suggestion; I may look in to this for myself.

Thank you!
RCG Plus Member