HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valestrife View Post
i have checked by holding the main blade and the tail is hardly to move..so im guessing it still solid, i think main gear is not a problem because my bird did fly,but keep spinning..the point still around the tail boom to the tail gear and servo..but thanks for the advance and i have checked it too..
I can pretty much guarantee that the B gear has an "O" shaped hole, and not a "D" hole like it needs for grip/friction... I know this from experience. I just ordered a clutch as well. All you have to do is breathe funny, and that thing spins out,
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Dec 2004
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post
I can pretty much guarantee that the B gear has an "O" shaped hole, and not a "D" hole like it needs for grip/friction... I know this from experience. I just ordered a clutch as well. All you have to do is breathe funny, and that thing spins out,
I always CA the B gear to the drive shaft and that problem goes away. I had Bob's slipper clutch on all three of my helis and they work great, but took them all back off after i got so i dont crash all the time.
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:41 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
I also removed my slipper clutch and I haven't stripped any gears since (I have been getting really good at hitting TH). That and I have only crashed about 5 times since I removed the clutch, but the gears didn't get damaged from any of the crashes. The landing gear was a different story...
flint723 is offline Find More Posts by flint723
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post
I also removed my slipper clutch and I haven't stripped any gears since (I have been getting really good at hitting TH). That and I have only crashed about 5 times since I removed the clutch, but the gears didn't get damaged from any of the crashes. The landing gear was a different story...
I had the same experience when bob's shaft broke on me. I didn't strip a single gear while not using the clutch. Until a oak leaf blew through the tail. thats all it took. Stupid driveway full of leaves. I currently have the microline hobbies clutch installed and it's been working great. My last mocroline hobbies shaft sheered also, just like bobs. I installed new tail step bearings and i am waiting for the shaft to sheer again. So far so good. The bearings were the problem. I don't have any such issues with the belt drive D05 though. You can slap that tail on the ground about 4 times in a row and probably have no damage. But the D02S holds the tail better, thats for sure. Your not recovering from a motor bog on the D05. Neither one of them handle the winds i get here very well. I wish i had started with a Sim and a Align 450 or something. I probably would have crashed less, spent less and enjoyed the hobby more.

V120D05CS08 - 3D Flight in wind 1 - 12-02-12 (3 min 58 sec)

I'm still waiting for a replacement swash for my D02S. They both fly about the same anymore. But the D05 actually being heavier, handles the wind better.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem of the main tail shaft (that goes through the boom) doesn't stick out far enough at the end where the B gear fits on? I've asked this before, and been told to tighten down the locking collar around the main shaft, but that didn't solve the problem. This thing has play in it. I can get it out, but then it goes back in if I hold the helicopter nose down....

PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:29 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Is the A gear stripped allowing the shaft to slide in toward the main shaft?
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
Taiwan, Hsinchu City
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone else have this problem of the main tail shaft (that goes through the boom) doesn't stick out far enough at the end where the B gear fits on? I've asked this before, and been told to tighten down the locking collar around the main shaft, but that didn't solve the problem. This thing has play in it. I can get it out, but then it goes back in if I hold the helicopter nose down....

PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!
The tail boom can move forward-backward inside the body on the main shaft side. Pull the tail boom backward until the play disappeared and then secure the screw of boom fixer.
Grant Litmanen is offline Find More Posts by Grant Litmanen
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Litmanen View Post
The tail boom can move forward-backward inside the body on the main shaft side. Pull the tail boom backward until the play disappeared and then secure the screw of boom fixer.
+1, also make sure you don't have the shaft installed backwards. The longer key mark goes to the A gear.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:45 AM
michigan
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Quote:

PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!
Could be the tail housing (part that holds the b&c gears) is not pushed onto the tail boom far enough ! This happened to me once. lol
George
george48184 is online now Find More Posts by george48184
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:00 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
I was going to say this also, I had a hard time getting the tail housing all the way onto the tail shaft. There is also a small bearing at the front of the shaft, which snaps into the underside of the frame. The mounting of the boom can be moved relative to the bearing so as to take up all of the free play in the shaft. And if the collar on the main shaft is correctly adjusted, the shaft cannot move forward.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
Quote:

PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!
here's what you can do assuming the tail housing is seated flush against the tail boom, and that the metal tail drive shaft is oriented properly as per flat side position. glue (use CA!) the B-gear to the metal tail drive shaft. make sure the entire beef of the gear is flush with the shaft when viewed from the rear. see benmlee's tail clutch pics for reference! this way you have assured the B-gear is well secured. install the entire tail assembly onto the main frame, seating the front bearing. then slip in the A-gear. by now, there should be a very little small amount of free play on the shaft or none at all. you can slip the boom a small amount to rear if you want to have no free play at all. in my case, i let it have the (very) minimal amount of free play. this should do well enough especially if you have a tail clutch installed. for good measure use a copper wire shear pin on the main gear for crash protection. i used a slightly smaller diameter copper wire in mine. so far it gave me the perfect, smooth gear mesh compared to the old metal pin. it also held up well in high rpm flight loads (with stock esc/motor). hope this helps...
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,970 Posts
I finally got my new swashplate installed. I had to order it off Ebay because Wowhobbies is charging like $15 minimum for shipping these days. I won't be ordering there until they fix that mess.

Anyway, with the new swash it's flying pretty damn nice. I was actually able to get in 2 good 3D flights without crashing and for the most part the batteries and motor held out in the wind, finally. Since thats the cause of most of my crashes on this heli. I still can't fly it on most days because it's just too windy, it's just no fun having the heli blown back in your face the whole time by the wind then bogging out trying to fight the wind.

V120D02S-Pro - Good flight - 12-04-12 (3 min 27 sec)

V120D02S-Pro - Another good Flight - 12-04-12 (3 min 31 sec)
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk01 View Post
here's what you can do assuming the tail housing is seated flush against the tail boom, and that the metal tail drive shaft is oriented properly as per flat side position. glue (use CA!) the B-gear to the metal tail drive shaft. make sure the entire beef of the gear is flush with the shaft when viewed from the rear. see benmlee's tail clutch pics for reference! this way you have assured the B-gear is well secured. install the entire tail assembly onto the main frame, seating the front bearing. then slip in the A-gear. by now, there should be a very little small amount of free play on the shaft or none at all. you can slip the boom a small amount to rear if you want to have no free play at all. in my case, i let it have the (very) minimal amount of free play. this should do well enough especially if you have a tail clutch installed. for good measure use a copper wire shear pin on the main gear for crash protection. i used a slightly smaller diameter copper wire in mine. so far it gave me the perfect, smooth gear mesh compared to the old metal pin. it also held up well in high rpm flight loads (with stock esc/motor). hope this helps...
Thank you very much. You guys are super helpful, and I appreciate it. A couple of things I need to know to start:
#1 What holds the housing on? I can't seem to locate the screw to loosen, then push the housing in. This is first on my list before disassembling the whole thing. My clutch should be arriving today, so I want to have everything ready - and right now, I can't fly it because every time I put on a new B gear it strips right away. I know that it's because it's not flush at the end of the shaft. .
#2 What kind of CA glue are you guys talking about? There are several different kinds.

Thanks again!!!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
I'm not trying to take over this thread, or be a pain in the ass - but could anyone tell me if they have this part that I have the arrow pointing to? It's grayed out in the diagram, so it indicates that it's a stock part. It shows on the exploded diagram, but it's not labeled. Not only do I not have that part, there's no way I would have enough room for it if I did! The shaft does not come out far enough. It's making me crazy... I'm working on it though....

Thank you....
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,967 Posts
That bearing you are pointing to is pressed into the tail block, and should be flush right behind the B gear. There should also be another bearing at the front of the shaft, right behind the A gear.

Maybe not all of Walkera's B gears are created equal--mine is so tight I could barely push it on without bending the whole boom. I don't think I need any CA glue, right now.

The tail housing, or tail block, is pressed onto the boom and secured by two screws that also secure the tail fin. I had a tough time pushing the tail block onto the boom, too.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011