SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
FPV Noob
fpsazerbaijan's Avatar
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Discussion
Sky Surfer or HK Bixler???

Hey guys/gals, I'm relatively new to the rc hobby and I'm beginning to tire of my 3-channel Sky Runner (by Nine Eagles), I'm looking at getting a slightly larger pusher glider and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Banana Hobby Sky Surfer or the Hobbyking Bixler...
In terms of price the Bixler is cheaper, plus I've only heard negative things about Banana Hobby...
I live in the UK but I have a relative who I could order the planes to, this would save me a huge shipping cost and import VAT...
Also if I were to go for the Bixler, would you recommend the RTF version? (I don't have any Tx/Rx's at the moment but I thought I could order the ARF version and then buy the battery, esc, charger and Tx/Rx seperately from Hobbyking)
Here are the two planes:
Sky Surfer: http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html
Hobbyking Bixler: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16542

As you can see I'm rambling on a bit so I'll leave it at that...
Thanks for any help
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
Registered User
kontakos's Avatar
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2007
90 Posts
Hi Al,

From HK I would suggest the Bixler or the AXN Floater Jet. I just received my Kinetic 800 from them and hope to fly this weekend. Never had a problem with any of my orders from HK.

The Bixler and AXN Floatere also have brush-less motors and are still cheaper.

If you feel like you are going to stay with this hobby for a while I would not suggest the RTF version. Better inform yourself about some good quality radios and look at what fits in your budget and plans.

I use the Spektrum Dx6i. (good enough radio for me and love the fact that I can get cheap receivers in different sizes for the DSM2 system )
kontakos is offline Find More Posts by kontakos
Last edited by kontakos; Jun 23, 2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added extra info
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
FPV Noob
fpsazerbaijan's Avatar
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontakos View Post
Hi Al,

From HK I would suggest the Bixler or the AXN Floater Jet. I just received my Kinetic 800 from them and hope to fly this weekend. Never had a problem with any of my orders from HK.

The Bixler and AXN Floatere also have brush-less motors and are still cheaper.

If you feel like you are going to stay with this hobby for a while I would not suggest the RTF version. Better inform yourself about some good quality radios and look at what fits in your budget and plans.

I use the Spektrum Dx6i. (good enough radio for me and love the fact that I can get cheap receivers in different sizes for the DSM2 system )

Thank you very much for all the information... I had a query regarding HobbyKing delivery from China, once it reaches the United Kingdom do I then have to pay extra for shipping to my house? (I know I may get charged Import Tax but I'm not sure about the rest...)
Thanks again
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
Registered User
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined May 2008
176 Posts
Hi, have you looked at www.gliders.uk.com their selection and prices do not seem too bad, and they even have spares for most of what they sell. I did notice whilst browsing that a few of their models even have free delivery to UK Mainland. Again because I am a long way from any supplier the fact of a seller having a spares catalogue is something I envy.
Terry Pieters is offline Find More Posts by Terry Pieters
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
Registered User
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Thank you very much for all the information... I had a query regarding HobbyKing delivery from China, once it reaches the United Kingdom do I then have to pay extra for shipping to my house? (I know I may get charged Import Tax but I'm not sure about the rest...)
Thanks again
Al
Shipping from HK is to your door. I'm not sure what you mean about a US order and VAT though as when it arrives on the UK border, tax is still due to be paid for items over 18. The HMRC web site will have the info.

I've not or flown one but have you see this ?

http://brchobbies.com/?page=shop&act...ditem&item=473

Maybe an easier option and from a good supplier.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
FPV Noob
fpsazerbaijan's Avatar
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdudeuk View Post
Shipping from HK is to your door. I'm not sure what you mean about a US order and VAT though as when it arrives on the UK border, tax is still due to be paid for items over 18. The HMRC web site will have the info.

I've not or flown one but have you see this ?

http://brchobbies.com/?page=shop&act...ditem&item=473

Maybe an easier option and from a good supplier.
Hello, thanks very much for all your great advice... I've heard others saying they had to pay Royal Mail extra to get the package from the border to their door, so it's good to know that it is all included in the price... I have seen the Sky Surfer on that site, thanks. It looks great but I think I'd rather start with a complete RTF package- seeing as I'm a beginner...
Thank you very much
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:40 PM
Registered User
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hello, thanks very much for all your great advice... I've heard others saying they had to pay Royal Mail extra to get the package from the border to their door, so it's good to know that it is all included in the price... I have seen the Sky Surfer on that site, thanks. It looks great but I think I'd rather start with a complete RTF package- seeing as I'm a beginner...
Thank you very much
Al
The POSTAGE is paid for but when the Royal Mail asks for money, it's for the tax and their fee.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:33 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
ArneHu's Avatar
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Have you seen the new Sky Surfer from Nine Eagles? Looks cool, and I order one today.
I like that it comes with aileron, makes it a nice, but easy flying aileron trainer.

http://www.hitecrcd.co.jp/RC/nine_ea...rfer/index.htm

ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:33 AM
drjazzneedstofly
near crewkerne somerset.uk
Joined Oct 2010
12 Posts
Axn floater.

Hi,I'm new on here,can anyone help me?
Ive tried hard to find a UK shop or UK distributor who stocks

the AXN FLOATER. to no avail. well actually not strictly correct

HOBBYKING do have them and will ship to the UK from their

German depot. so as I was impressed by the reasonable price

I made an order up for the plane..2 Lipo batteries & suitable

charger/balancer. Total cost approx when converted from euros

was 80. but that's the shock came when adding the post

& packing. It was almost double. So I gave up on the idea of

buying outside the UK.

I feel sure someone in here will know where to buy one

that's not going to cost the earth to get here?

Don't suggest anywhere outside the EU such as HONG

KONG or the USA. time you pay custom duty and the Post

Office fee (my last 20 purchase I bought from USA they

charged me 16) Its not worth it.

Ive been following Xjets channel on YouTube for a while

now,and most of guys in the club he flies with in New Zealand

have and fly the AXNs.they all love them,and recommend them.

they look very impressive in flight. Go and have a peep and see

what I mean.Anyway help in locating where I can get one will be

much appreciated.
cheers from Derek.Somerset.UK
drjazzneeds2fly is offline Find More Posts by drjazzneeds2fly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:02 AM
FPV Noob
fpsazerbaijan's Avatar
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjazzneeds2fly View Post
Hi,I'm new on here,can anyone help me?
Ive tried hard to find a UK shop or UK distributor who stocks

the AXN FLOATER. to no avail. well actually not strictly correct

HOBBYKING do have them and will ship to the UK from their

German depot. so as I was impressed by the reasonable price

I made an order up for the plane..2 Lipo batteries & suitable

charger/balancer. Total cost approx when converted from euros

was 80. but that's the shock came when adding the post

& packing. It was almost double. So I gave up on the idea of

buying outside the UK.

I feel sure someone in here will know where to buy one

that's not going to cost the earth to get here?

Don't suggest anywhere outside the EU such as HONG

KONG or the USA. time you pay custom duty and the Post

Office fee (my last 20 purchase I bought from USA they

charged me 16) Its not worth it.

Ive been following Xjets channel on YouTube for a while

now,and most of guys in the club he flies with in New Zealand

have and fly the AXNs.they all love them,and recommend them.

they look very impressive in flight. Go and have a peep and see

what I mean.Anyway help in locating where I can get one will be

much appreciated.
cheers from Derek.Somerset.UK


Hi Derek! I found a UK stockist of the AXN Floater Jet here: http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=sh...dditem&item=80

Good luck
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hey guys/gals, I'm relatively new to the rc hobby and I'm beginning to tire of my 3-channel Sky Runner (by Nine Eagles), I'm looking at getting a slightly larger pusher glider and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Banana Hobby Sky Surfer or the Hobbyking Bixler...
In terms of price the Bixler is cheaper, plus I've only heard negative things about Banana Hobby...
I live in the UK but I have a relative who I could order the planes to, this would save me a huge shipping cost and import VAT...
Also if I were to go for the Bixler, would you recommend the RTF version? (I don't have any Tx/Rx's at the moment but I thought I could order the ARF version and then buy the battery, esc, charger and Tx/Rx seperately from Hobbyking)
Here are the two planes:
Sky Surfer: http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html
Hobbyking Bixler: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16542

As you can see I'm rambling on a bit so I'll leave it at that...
Thanks for any help
Al
They are both Skysurfers. The Bixler is V1 Skysurfer with a brushless motor and Banana Hobby is a V2. V1 has external servos and pushrods and the V2 has internal. The V1 has more room inside the fuselage since it doesn't have the added webbing of the V2.

Hobbyking is a better internet retailer. Banana hobby is terrible if there are any problems with their shipment.

I would opt for the Bixler version. However, both have lousy electronics except for the brushless motors.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:43 AM
Registered User
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pieters View Post
Hi, have you looked at www.gliders.uk.com their selection and prices do not seem too bad, and they even have spares for most of what they sell. I did notice whilst browsing that a few of their models even have free delivery to UK Mainland. Again because I am a long way from any supplier the fact of a seller having a spares catalogue is something I envy.
Hey Terry,
Do u know anyone who sells the bixler or spares in SA?
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion BH sky surfer question allen2569 Electric Plane Talk 1 Mar 09, 2011 07:41 PM
Wanted Hawk Sky, Wild Hawk, Sky Surfer, etc dpw21562 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Mar 06, 2011 07:12 AM
Discussion Blitz Sky Surfer as a Tractor clayfeld Foamies (Kits) 1 Mar 05, 2011 06:21 PM
Wanted Wild Hawk, Hawk Sky, Sky Surfer, dpw21562 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 03, 2011 07:03 PM