HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Luis_Claudio's Avatar
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,421 Posts
Beautifull wing and clean building Moray! Good luck on the maiden!
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
Planes in flames,,,
jetpackninja's Avatar
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
At $40, the Motorfly motors are entering MicroDan territory. I'm looking for a lower cost option from a US retailer - trying to avoid ordering from HobbyKing's Hong Kong warehouse as much as possible. But I may end up doing so if my stash of Exceed motors don't work out.
Value Hobby has the little red motors and they are a reliable outfit.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

More power? rewind the little red motor with 9 winds of 24 gauge microdan wire,
Several of the guys here are running this setup.
Scroll back and look for post from kc flyer and a few others.
The setup rocks for the Assassin and really rocks for the Widowmaker.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
Chess club geek with wings
blunight's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Value Hobby has the little red motors and they are a reliable outfit.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

More power? rewind the little red motor with 9 winds of 24 gauge microdan wire,
Several of the guys here are running this setup.
Scroll back and look for post from kc flyer and a few others.
The setup rocks for the Assassin and really rocks for the Widowmaker.
Ninja,
I'd like to rewind both of mine...do you know where I can find detailed informaton on how to rewind these motors (or any other) motors?
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Registered User
ttabbal's Avatar
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Ninja,
I'd like to rewind both of mine...do you know where I can find detailed informaton on how to rewind these motors (or any other) motors?
I used the video here as a guide.

http://vimeo.com/m/18554942

There are some good posts here in this thread. Use the search this thread button at the top right.

Note that the microdan wire really is that much better than radio Shack. It's worth the extra cost and time to get it. I have a few motors rewound now, and they run great. Nice way to get more life out of them after I've damaged the windings or lead wires. And they are more powerful. I'm not good enough with the assassin yet to run one on mine, but they work well on the albatross too.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:53 PM
Chess club geek with wings
blunight's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
I used the video here as a guide.

http://vimeo.com/m/18554942

There are some good posts here in this thread. Use the search this thread button at the top right.

Note that the microdan wire really is that much better than radio Shack. It's worth the extra cost and time to get it. I have a few motors rewound now, and they run great. Nice way to get more life out of them after I've damaged the windings or lead wires. And they are more powerful. I'm not good enough with the assassin yet to run one on mine, but they work well on the albatross too.
Just finished watching the video, thanks ttabbal!
24g Microdan motor wire ordered...
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Last edited by blunight; Sep 30, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
I've got 6 or 7 of my rewound 2812's around our club. Some have hundreds of flights on them. be sure to oil the bearings and not overtighten the mount to the motor.

They're amazing little motors. I actually stuck a rewound one on a scythe with a 7x6 prop.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:19 PM
Planes in flames,,,
jetpackninja's Avatar
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
+1 on ttabbal comments

I won't ever do any more with the radio shack wire.
I just did the first one with the MD wire and it bench tested at 300 watts.
I have also found that I need to set the esc timing setting to high with this setup.
Keep the bearings lubed (I got a bottle of bearing lube from the LHS)
The motor can get quite hot if you do a lot of full throttle, but what makes it work is the high temp rating of the wire insulation. Good luck and lots of info can be found right here in this thread if you have time to do some reading.
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
wheeeeee!
elCapitan's Avatar
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
After watching the vid, this little graphic I made may come in handy. Re-winding is the way to go with these little red motors.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:28 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
After watching the vid, this little graphic I made may come in handy. Re-winding is the way to go with these little red motors.
Thank you, I know the vid was clear but your drawing means if I have to do this I can.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
I'm a club flight student, 'buddy boxed'. I bought some stuff from a club member who had lost interest and he gave me a piece of pink board, said it was a 'combat plane'. Went to search and ended up here with y'all.

So after reading here I charged up and trimmed out and took it out to fly. That was a joke I thru it, crashed it several time then started to adjust the stuff and it flew about 30 yards last flight, right, left, right, crash. But it flew abit. Picked it up ,
twisted the taped nose back in shape and throw it again. This is going to be fun!

I'm all in,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:03 PM
Registered User
ttabbal's Avatar
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,093 Posts
Once you beat that one up real good, buy an assassin. It's a great plane.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:07 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,061 Posts
Try this...

Assassin vs Brick Wall 3-12 (4 min 14 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:15 PM
wheeeeee!
elCapitan's Avatar
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Try this...
Hehe... Lee, you shrewd business man, you.

True, though, Sculptor, as soon as you can get yourself an assassin, you'll see what we mean. It's crazy--just plain crazy--how durable it is, and how well it flies.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:45 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Hehe... Lee, you shrewd business man, you.

True, though, Sculptor, as soon as you can get yourself an assassin, you'll see what we mean. It's crazy--just plain crazy--how durable it is, and how well it flies.
I just Google 'RC Assassin? I don't know were to get this plane.

If I seem overly excited I may be. My experience to date in learning to fly has been both joyfully, stressful, joyfull.

I bought a Cessna 182 63" trainer to learn to fly with my instructor, who is a prince. The damn plane is no fun to fly. It's a pig!, but only because I'm not flying it well (found I can't fly clockwise). I'm back with my instructor tomorrow, this this is 'boot camp' these things must be mastered.

I have a private feild. I want to take this chunk of foam and thro it over and over.

Because it will be fun and I want that now.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Austang's Avatar
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
573 Posts
Here ya go mate, have fun, I know we do.

http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WALLY WING...no fins...flies great!!! gpw Foamies (Kits) 22 Sep 23, 2009 06:56 AM
Qjet Flamingo & Butterfly: A plane no one has!! romans1015 Parkflyers 6 Jan 29, 2004 04:05 PM
Qjet Flamingo & Butterfly: A plane no one has!! romans1015 Parkflyers 0 Jan 28, 2004 12:40 AM
Noob concept plane Mikey C. Foamies (Kits) 5 Nov 11, 2003 01:05 PM
It's a boat...It's a plane...no! It's flightship! MrBungle Electric Plane Talk 24 Jun 26, 2001 01:55 AM