HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2009, 04:41 PM
Gravity Challenging Fool
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Sep 2008
816 Posts
Discussion
What a difference 8oz makes!

I just took my SS out for a few without the camera, for the first time in ages. Possibly the first time since the newer motor, and def. the first time since I went from heavy 9.9V A123s to 11.1V LiPos.

Wow.

I can roll to inverted on rudder and elevator alone. I can easily come out of inverted with half an inside loop, instead of having to come down to rotate out. It was actually a bit wierd for the first minute, my normal stick banging that I'd expect to result in a hard bank would put the plane inverted, etc. Very cool, very fun. From now on I think all my sunset flights (too dark to take pics anyway) will be done like this. It's also easier to hold inverted without the weight (and maybe drag) of the camera hanging off the bottom (or top, since it's inverted). Vertical climbout was basically unlimited, only restricted by my ability to keep it perfectly vertical. It'll come up vertically with the camera, but not at these speeds.

Way cool. I do the typical loop or quick inverted stint with the camera on there sometimes, but losing that weight was a real trip. Very good times. It also glides like a bird. The plane is heavy either way, but man, that camera made a much bigger difference than I thought.

Dan
(remembering this can be fun without a camera too)
Dan_K is offline Find More Posts by Dan_K
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:32 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I build a modified flying wing into a Boomer. I have many, but 2 of them are built the same size, look the same, but one is 6.5ozs and the other(faster) is 11ozs.
Two totally different birds!
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,832 Posts
Half a pound is big difference when your talking scaled rc, imagine if that half a pound was in the real thing. 8oz in a 20oz planes or what ever. smaller they are the bigger it makes a difference.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:48 AM
Gravity Challenging Fool
Joined Sep 2008
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Half a pound is big difference when your talking scaled rc, imagine if that half a pound was in the real thing. 8oz in a 20oz planes or what ever. smaller they are the bigger it makes a difference.
I hear ya. I expected quite a bit of difference, just not anywhere near this much. Thing is, the plane isn't exactly light either way, it's in the 28oz range without the camera. Still, we're talking about a big percentage of the plane's AUW being in that camera.

I flew it again with no cam last night and my coworker thought the wing was going to snap when I was doing loops. It does have a bit of flex when I get into it Currently just reinforced with fiber packing tape, I used to have a brass rod running the length of the wing as well. I think I need to bring the brass rod back, or just reenforce what's there with a CF rod on each side. Snapping the wing would be a bummer a few hundred feet in the air
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
How about refitting a CF rod in place of the brass one? Stiffer and lighter!
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:41 PM
Gravity Challenging Fool
Joined Sep 2008
816 Posts
Yeah, just wouldn't be able to make the bend. I think the aluminum things cover that, so CF rods up each wing would probably be suffecient.