HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2014, 05:46 PM
Belgium
Joined Feb 2013
251 Posts
Question
SkyRC iMAX B6 Mini; is it any good?

Hi folks,

I am looking for a new charger and the B6 Mini came up in my search.
However I can't seem to find a lot of experiences from with this charger exept for the very few who are on the Banggood website.
And these don't go in to details such as weither it's accurate or not, balances correctly etc...
https://www.banggood.com/SkyRC-iMAX-B6-Mini-...-p-929890.html

The biggest batteries I own at the moment are 3S 2200's and this will be the case for a very long time.
To me it seems like a pretty decent charger for $40 and I like the fact that you can hook it up to the PC and there's the possibility to control it with your smartphone.
Do any of you own this charger and are happy with it?
Nelis is online now Find More Posts by Nelis
Last edited by Nelis; Dec 06, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:12 AM
United States, UT, Spanish Fork
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
I own one and love it - easy to use I charge a larger battery than you an E-Flight 3000mAh 30C and she does great - now make note of a few things
Only comes with 12 DC battery clips and so I had to find a wall adapter
The temp strap add on works great
The wifi module works well ! Not amazing
Over all happy with the foot print and the usage / make sure to buy a real one lots of fakes !!
GooberGuz is offline Find More Posts by GooberGuz
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
goober ... where did you get WiFi module - still cannot find on BG site ..

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:27 PM
Belgium
Joined Feb 2013
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberGuz View Post
I own one and love it - easy to use I charge a larger battery than you an E-Flight 3000mAh 30C and she does great - now make note of a few things
Over all happy with the foot print and the usage / make sure to buy a real one lots of fakes !!
Thank you for your answer GooberGuz.
I still hesitate because the Turnigy Reaktor 300W (rebranded iCharger 206) is only +/- $25 more. They both need an additional power supply however a 300W power supply costs also a lot more than a 60W one.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:05 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
Most chargers in this range need separate power supplies and tbh - I prefer that ... Myself and many others I know have had in-built power supplies fail in various and you end up with separate anyway. The chargers without built-in are smaller and more compact as well.

Once I get info from Goober about the WiFi module - I might grab one of these mini's to go alongside the 2 B6 standard chargers I have ...
The bits that interest me are the PC connectivity - why I want to know about WiFi - and the IR measurement. I have a dedicated IR meter - but it's a pain and needs power supply and so on ... so I rarely use it. This with built in facility will give me a reference check routine that is easier to use.

Nigel
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:05 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelis View Post
Thank you for your answer GooberGuz.
I still hesitate because the Turnigy Reaktor 300W (rebranded iCharger 206) is only +/- $25 more. They both need an additional power supply however a 300W power supply costs also a lot more than a 60W one.
Check out a server power supply.
http://feathermerchantrc.com/

More than enough power even if you move up to a PowerLab 6 or 8. 24V for about $90.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:29 PM
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberGuz View Post
Where did you get the wall adapter? I need one.
Zoedoggy is offline Find More Posts by Zoedoggy
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:47 AM
Belgium
Joined Feb 2013
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoedoggy View Post
You can get a 60W adapter at Banggood for $8.98
https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-PD1205-12V-5A-AC-...-p-49439.html
Old Dec 08, 2014, 02:09 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoedoggy View Post
Wall adaptors are two a penny on ebay .. HK .. Banggood .... and many shops.

For this a minimum spec of 60W and 6A is required ... but that is minimum. Personally I prefer to go higher spec and then adaptor is not pushed to limits when you set charger to max.
I bought adaptor of ebay that is said for LED light strips and rated at 100W or 10A max. Price was about $15 incl. shipping.

I have had a number of 5A adaptors supplied with my chargers just give out after about a year or less use ... my B6 50W chargers pushing them to limits. This mini charger is rated at 6A ... so do yourself a favour ... get a 10A unit ...
Plugs can always be changed / sorted at local electrical shop.

Nigel
Old Dec 08, 2014, 03:15 AM
Belgium
Joined Feb 2013
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Check out a server power supply.
http://feathermerchantrc.com/

More than enough power even if you move up to a PowerLab 6 or 8. 24V for about $90.

Glen
Thanks for your suggestion but since I'm outside the US shipping adds a lot to the price so it's a bit to pricey for me.
If I would need a powerfull power supply I was thinking of using an LED strip power supply like this one: https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-12V-30A-360W-Switch-...-p-39987.html?
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:49 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,407 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Charger.html
consider this unit if pricing and shipping work for you.
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:52 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion but since I'm outside the US shipping adds a lot to the price so it's a bit to pricey for me.
If I would need a powerfull power supply I was thinking of using an LED strip power supply like this one: https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-12V-30A-360W-Switch-...-p-39987.html?
If only staying with a sub 100W charger - then a 100w adaptor is more than enough and basically they are priced per watt in effect.

My two 50W B6 chargers can if I really wanted to - be powered of the one adaptor I have .... but that would then at times push the limits. So I have a 50W adaptor - was a warranty replacement by the ebay seller for one charger ... and the 100W adaptor I bought for the other.

In reality - there is no real reason to do an overkill on adaptor capacity ... unless later you wish to upgrade to higher capacity charger or multiple set-ups.

When people talk of Computer power supplies - these are usually people who are running multiple or higher powered set-ups well above the average sunday flyers needs. They would argue though that they themselves are Sunday flyers !!

What I suggest - is sit down. Think it through ... What will be your needs in say 2 years time ? Personally I think 2 years is the longest time to think ahead because of failure rates and replacement of gear. In 2 years most of us will be flying different gear or have modified requirements.

Nigel
Old Dec 08, 2014, 07:40 AM
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2014
31 Posts
Quote:
You can get a 60W adapter at Banggood for $8.98
https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-PD1205-12V-5A-AC-...-p-49439.html
Thank you Nelis and Solentlife for the good information. Will check online for one now.
Zoedoggy is offline Find More Posts by Zoedoggy
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:51 AM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
420 Posts
I use 106/Reaktor 300W and friend of mine has the B6. I'd go with the former...

You get better diagnostics/info and you can charge a set of 3S batteries at one go. Also the build quality might well be better.
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:26 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varis View Post
I use 106/Reaktor 300W and friend of mine has the B6. I'd go with the former...

You get better diagnostics/info and you can charge a set of 3S batteries at one go. Also the build quality might well be better.
Agreed considering how much watts it can deliver for the given price imax b6 mini is not cheap. I prefer reaktor or 106.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p