SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,821 Posts
Guillermo and Jack

I designed a portly suited man and a normal suited man for some fun. Guillermo has his own thread and the normal suited man is just a modification of Guillermo. Both fly very well and Jack has answered some questions about head size in design.

Here is the Guillermo thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1865998

Here is a video of Jack. For those in the East, Jack in the Box is a fast food chain with fun commercials featuring Jack.

Jack in the Box Flying at Mission Bay (SEFSD) by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 55 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2013, 08:22 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,762 Posts
Guillermo is now available at Hoosier Cutout Service.

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:06 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,762 Posts
Laser cut PLy parts were received this PM !
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:19 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,456 Posts
I gave up on Elastigirl. Not sure if it was the small size or the 2 mm Depron deforming too much but she was just unstable as all get out in roll.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:25 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,762 Posts
2mm ???

I use 3mm for the 31" FG's

Did you use any CF for stiffening ?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 1999
2,456 Posts
No I didn't. But she was only 16 inches tall. I hoped it would be stiff enough since my 22 flyguy worked fine in 3 mm.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,821 Posts
Me thinks, too many variables to figure her out.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Aug 1999
2,456 Posts
I might try a 3 mm version someday. Probably just the arms and back would be enough. The rest of her has structure but the arms are pure bending.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,821 Posts
Jack in the Box Flyguy at Del Mar Beach.

Jack in the Box Flying at Del Mar Beach by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 5 sec)
Old May 06, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
High Altitude flying a Fly Guy.

I am interested in building a Fly Guy for use on a mountain air strip located at 4600 feet of altitude. Does anyone have any experience flying one that high and are there any others considerations I should consider? This would be my first venture into RC aircraft. Thanks. DIck West
Dick West is offline Find More Posts by Dick West
Old May 06, 2013, 12:59 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,762 Posts
Good question ?

I once took a .1 OS power airobatic 4 ch plane from Michigan 900 msl to Colorado ~5000msl.
When I 1st tried a hand launch up at the club field near a reservoir north of Golden
it just flopped. I had to really TWEAK that carb to get the MOST out of it to achieve flight.

Quite an eye opener.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Old May 06, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick West View Post
I am interested in building a Fly Guy for use on a mountain air strip located at 4600 feet of altitude. Does anyone have any experience flying one that high and are there any others considerations I should consider? This would be my first venture into RC aircraft. Thanks. DIck West
Having flown RC at 7000 ft for 4 yrs I found you need lower wing loadings and higher pitched props to get sea level performance. Also tip stalls are more severe. Flyguy should be fine as long as you keep him light.
Old May 06, 2013, 07:03 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick West View Post
I am interested in building a Fly Guy...
This would be my first venture into RC aircraft.
Very short simple 3-word answer DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK 4 words.

I don't mean to -discourage- you, but to *STOP* you. You *CAN'T* fly this thing. What you read here are written by folks with 5/10/40 years experience both building and flying. There are a -hundred- different hings you can do wrong that will make it 1) very likely incapable of -anyone- flying it and/or 2) absolutely definitely incapable of you flying it.

You need a trainer-trainer. And I don't mean a 'T-##' style military aircraft. Those are not trainers either in the sense that they are not the -first- plane the pilot flies.

Get an Apprentice. Find and INSTRUCTOR so you will crash-rebuild-crash-rebuild it only about 3 times before you become 'capable' rather than a dozen rounds of crash-rebuild.

Next, get a T-28. That's a good -second- trainer, not first.

Again I don't meant to discourage you. While you're learning the 'true trainers' you can gather the parts and build the FlyGuy. Along the way, while doing crash-rebuilds on the trainers, you find out about a few dozen things you did -wrong- on the FlyGuy, and change them.

However you still *CANNOT* maiden the FlyGuy.

Have your INSTRUCTOR review and maiden it. Or if you are beyond the instructor stage you *still* need to ask another expert to guru class pilot to maiden it. First he will find the dozen things you need to do to make it 'potentially flyable.' Then he will *trim* it in flight. He will advise you on the characteristics that make it 'different' from your trainers. (Every design is anywhere from mildly to drastically-spectacularly different.) Then and -only- then can you fly it.

I'm not even sure it'd make a reasonable 3rd plane. Only your mentor/instructor/advisor can gauge your skills vs the FlyGuy's 'skill requirements' as to whether it's possible.

I'm *NOT* trying to discourage you from flying. I'm trying to advise you on the *best* way to *learn*.

BTW bigger is always better/easier. I have seen a ton of people learn very quickly on Apprentice. It's a pussycat but with aerobatic potential. Especially for a newbie larger FlyGuy will definitely be easier than smaller.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old May 07, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Very short simple 3-word answer DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK 4 words.

I don't mean to -discourage- you, but to *STOP* you. You *CAN'T* fly this thing. What you read here are written by folks with 5/10/40 years experience both building and flying. There are a -hundred- different hings you can do wrong that will make it 1) very likely incapable of -anyone- flying it and/or 2) absolutely definitely incapable of you flying it.

You need a trainer-trainer. And I don't mean a 'T-##' style military aircraft. Those are not trainers either in the sense that they are not the -first- plane the pilot flies.

Get an Apprentice. Find and INSTRUCTOR so you will crash-rebuild-crash-rebuild it only about 3 times before you become 'capable' rather than a dozen rounds of crash-rebuild.

Next, get a T-28. That's a good -second- trainer, not first.

Again I don't meant to discourage you. While you're learning the 'true trainers' you can gather the parts and build the FlyGuy. Along the way, while doing crash-rebuilds on the trainers, you find out about a few dozen things you did -wrong- on the FlyGuy, and change them.

However you still *CANNOT* maiden the FlyGuy.

Have your INSTRUCTOR review and maiden it. Or if you are beyond the instructor stage you *still* need to ask another expert to guru class pilot to maiden it. First he will find the dozen things you need to do to make it 'potentially flyable.' Then he will *trim* it in flight. He will advise you on the characteristics that make it 'different' from your trainers. (Every design is anywhere from mildly to drastically-spectacularly different.) Then and -only- then can you fly it.

I'm not even sure it'd make a reasonable 3rd plane. Only your mentor/instructor/advisor can gauge your skills vs the FlyGuy's 'skill requirements' as to whether it's possible.

I'm *NOT* trying to discourage you from flying. I'm trying to advise you on the *best* way to *learn*.

BTW bigger is always better/easier. I have seen a ton of people learn very quickly on Apprentice. It's a pussycat but with aerobatic potential. Especially for a newbie larger FlyGuy will definitely be easier than smaller.
Great points and sound advice!
Old May 07, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,821 Posts
New video of my Flyguy 46 as Ironman 3

Ironman 3 Airshow made from Flyguy 46 by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 25 sec)