HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:17 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,709 Posts
Discussion
Simple Tool

I have frequently ranted about the importance of securing set-screw types of propeller hubs to motor/gearbox shafts. Well, attached is a picture of a tool that makes it easier.

While it appears to be just another T-handle allen wrench, it has a special hex shape that allows it to deliver higher torque with less risk of stripping the hex on the screw. If you have never stripped the hex on a hex head set screw (especially with a ball end allen wrench) -- especially on a propeller hub -- you just haven't lived. When this happens, removing the damaged screw is nearly impossible without destroying, at the very least, the spinner, and often, much more.

This tool is available at:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-t-...x-keys/=l6bex9

While you are at it, you can purchase metric set screws in bulk and low strength Loctite.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,582 Posts
Good tip Don. The hex drivers sold for model helicopters are also high quality and resist gauling set screws. I use them on all my high(er) torque requiring needs.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5