925 Posts
Sorry double post.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,239 Posts
A speed control that uses a linear-type battery eliminator circuit (BEC) can usually cope with 3S lipo pack and 3 small servos. If you are using more servos with a 3S or 4S lipo pack, the linear BEC circuit way overheat and reduce voltage to the receiver causing it to reset with total loss of control. At the crash scene, everything may be working after receiver has reset. Defective servos, binding linkage, and stiff control surface hinges can also cause the linear BEC to overheat, provide low voltage causing receiver to reset. Using a high amp-rated speed control will not guarantee that the BEC circuit can cope with receiver and servo voltage/current needs. Use of a speed control with an adequate switch mode BEC circuit or installing an add-on switch mode BEC device will usually prevent receiver reset ("brownout") crashes.
Using a separate and adequate fully charged flight battery pack to power the receiver and servos is another way to avoid receiver reset/brownout crashes. I have cured brownouts using add-on Park BEC's with my old DX-6/AR6000 receivers and my new Hitec Optima 6 receivers. Read up on BEC's on Dimension Engineering's website and read specs on Park BEC's and Sport BEC's.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
I've been told by a couple fliers at work they were shot down. Apparently there is a 2.4 jammer, and someone was tired of them flying in a open field, or having his own brand of fun, and shot down 4 planes at once. All lost signal at the exact same time and all went in. I don't know how true the whole jammer thing is, but they certainly all went in. 3 were on spectrum, well, I guess 4 since one was a JR.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:11 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
70 Posts
Conclusion

It's been a while and many flights since my last post. And I have seen a few crashes and have come to a conclusion:

1. Never use Orange brand DSM2 receivers when there is other people flying with 2.4GHz! They cost me dearly.

2. Spektrum DSMX in general does work great. However, we had two Dx6i that were causing crashes. One got sent for warranty repair and replaced with some phoney explanation. Works fine now. The other one caused signal losses and later failed a range check. After replacing the antenna cable it worked just fine. Either the RF connector was flaky, or it was just a broken cable. The fact that a shop like MAS Hobby stocks the replacement antenna (cable) indicates that they cause problems! If you have trouble with Spektrum, check the antenna cable first.

3. The FrSky system works very well, I never regretted the switch and programming the 9XR is no bother (though it needed to get used to). Having telemetry with RSSI, altimeter and the battery voltage is something I appreciate. I also still use the Spektrum, for practical reasons. I never have enough receivers

4. I set up a 2.4 GHz spectrum analyser on my laptop and tested the field for interference but couldn't find any suspicious peaks. It is a busy band but I would say that any system that does frequency hopping will work. DSM2 won't.

5. Mobile phone signals never cause any problems.

Tony
scarborofun is offline Find More Posts by scarborofun
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:20 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,342 Posts
That seems to be a ballanced conclusion Tony.
I had a DX6i cause crashes (as I may have already mentioned); it is possible that it had the same antennae problem that you describe.

I'm very happy with my FrSky 2.4 telemetry equipment too. I have some FlyDream 2.4 ghz gear too, but they are problematic in aircraft with any carbon in the front of the fuse in my experience. Long story, but the take home conclusion is that it is ok in glass or balsa craft. The FlyDream used 10 ma. on idle while the FrSky telemetry uses 100 ma. Something to be taken into consideration in light aircraft with limited battery space.

edit: I understand the output power of the FrSky is 60 mw. While the FlyDream is 10 mw. Corrections invited.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Aug 29, 2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: see edit.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,694 Posts
Also witnessed dx6 issues first hand.

Great summary Tony. Had very few issues with the Orange 7Ch but overall DSM2 (Spek and Orange) locks me out once every hundred flights (glitches every 50) which is too often for me.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
I cant testify I have used and owned the original DX6, DX6i, DX7 and DX8 and only had one brownout and that was from running two digital and two analog servos on 3A linear BEC equipped ESC back 5 years ago using a DSM AR6000. It browned out and crashed, Those receivers took nearly 10 seconds to reconnect. I learned to power with a separate UBEC or battery pack. NO BROWNOUTS since. I run orange receivers and everyone is range checked. Out of a dozen or more orange receivers I have only had one stinker I threw away after the qualifying range test.

I just crashed a 4 flight old hot rodded Habu 2 with 9 channel orange receiver. Root cause was a cold solder joint that was my fault where I tapped in the Castle UBEC. I did not blame the DX8. It was clearly my mistake.

I considered the Turnigy 9XR but laughed out loud at the cult that believes in this radio. They totally ignore defects that occur with these radios right out of the box. Not to mention the smarti board upgrades and the like. Geeze, it's like building your own TV from Heathkit. My flying club has many, many giant scale planes and turbines. The radios used are Spektrum, JR, and Futaba. Amazingly, I don't here this same type of trash talking about Spektrum radios. None of them run modified Turnigy 9X radios.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 29, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,694 Posts
Each field is different. I've seen cheapo FlySky transmitters w/ FrSky work amazingly... and the same with the Devo... other guys at my club have 18QQs and 18MZs (love the screen). There's a bermuda triangle where Spektrum based planes have been lost....

Today, I had another glitch today with a AR6210 + satellite on a PZ foamy in the same area 4 others had this past weekend - which puts the nail in the Spektrum coffin for me. Thankfully, I saved the plane. Fresh batteries too and an overspec Eflite 80A ESC.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Each field is different. I've seen cheapo FlySky transmitters w/ FrSky work amazingly... and the same with the Devo... other guys at my club have 18QQs and 18MZs (love the screen). There's a bermuda triangle where Spektrum based planes have been lost....

Today, I had another glitch today with a AR6210 + satellite on a PZ foamy in the same area 4 others had this past weekend - which puts the nail in the Spektrum coffin for me. Thankfully, I saved the plane. Fresh batteries too and an overspec Eflite 80A ESC.
I just haven't seen it. There is even mondo large cell tower just north of our filed. We fly 7 planes in the air at the same time. I have concluded most "brownouts" or signal losses I have seen are with Futaba 2.4 ghz systems. I have never seen a Spektrum radio failure at our club.

However, the only loss of signal planes I have seen are usually flown by pilots who stuff their radio gear inside the plane in a snotted mass of wires resembling a bird's nest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:59 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
70 Posts
[QUOTE=Prof100;25978455.......
I considered the Turnigy 9XR but laughed out loud at the cult that believes in this radio. They totally ignore defects that occur with these radios right out of the box. Not to mention the smarti board upgrades and the like. Geeze, it's like building your own TV from Heathkit. My flying club has many, many giant scale planes and turbines. The radios used are Spektrum, JR, and Futaba. Amazingly, I don't here this same type of trash talking about Spektrum radios. None of them run modified Turnigy 9X radios.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the replies, good to see this thread still alive

The 9XR is cheap for what it offers. The firmware is crowd sourced and powerful. Though the radio looks a bit bling, it does a reliable job. There is no need to engage in add-ons or mods as it works fine out of the box. Many different RF modules can be used.

I haven't even opened the case yet after 4 month of use, in contrast to the DX6i, where I had to replace 2 broken trim tabs, added a LCD back light and replaced the throttle cut push button with a proper switch.

So far the 9XR is winning. It has space for a large 3s LiFe battery and far greater functionality than the DX6i for a fraction of the price.

As far as the FrSky RF system is concerned I haven't found any cons yet, except maybe poor chinglish in the documentation and too high a threshold on the variometer indicator. The receiver antennas have a convenient 5 inch cable length which makes it easy to place the actual antennas where you want them, even protruding outside the fuselage if necessary. I never had a RSSI warning even when the glider was 1000 feet high. Not bad for a 60mW transmitter. It's still early days of course.

Tony
scarborofun is offline Find More Posts by scarborofun
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarborofun View Post
Thanks for all the replies, good to see this thread still alive

The 9XR is cheap for what it offers. The firmware is crowd sourced and powerful. Though the radio looks a bit bling, it does a reliable job. There is no need to engage in add-ons or mods as it works fine out of the box. Many different RF modules can be used.

I haven't even opened the case yet after 4 month of use, in contrast to the DX6i, where I had to replace 2 broken trim tabs, added a LCD back light and replaced the throttle cut push button with a proper switch.

So far the 9XR is winning. It has space for a large 3s LiFe battery and far greater functionality than the DX6i for a fraction of the price.

As far as the FrSky RF system is concerned I haven't found any cons yet, except maybe poor chinglish in the documentation and too high a threshold on the variometer indicator. The receiver antennas have a convenient 5 inch cable length which makes it easy to place the actual antennas where you want them, even protruding outside the fuselage if necessary. I never had a RSSI warning even when the glider was 1000 feet high. Not bad for a 60mW transmitter. It's still early days of course.

Tony
Tony,

If it works for you that's all that counts.

I flew a Parkzone T28 2300 feet high with a DX6i and a AR6000 receiver. It was a dot in the sky.

I did repair one trim on the aileron channel. Those are a cheap a$$ design. But I still have it and it's worked great since. My DX6i was one of the original production releases.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I just haven't seen it. There is even mondo large cell tower just north of our filed. We fly 7 planes in the air at the same time. I have concluded most "brownouts" or signal losses I have seen are with Futaba 2.4 ghz systems. I have never seen a Spektrum radio failure at our club.

However, the only loss of signal planes I have seen are usually flown by pilots who stuff their radio gear inside the plane in a snotted mass of wires resembling a bird's nest.
My main field also has a cell tower (to the west) too. I have not seen a Futaba brownout nor heard of any, but have witnessed half dozen Spektrum losses (excluding mine). I'll probably send my tx to Horizon for a checkup. I was about to upgrade it to FrSky but decided it's not worth the effort. I'll buy the Taranis when it's back in stock.

Improper rx placement (along with no external BEC with HV setups) contributes significantly to signal loss, but I am anal and always use an external satellite that is usually located top/bottom of the rear fuse (it's ugly, but safe than sorry).