HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:06 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Just a random thought - The Jaz HD camera has an AC (wall wart) charger, which ends in a micro usb plug. This charger charges the Jaz ok.
Pluging the Jaz into a PC USB port - same micro USB socket - does NOT charge the Jaz, just allows you to read the SD card in the Jazz.
USB plugs have 5 connections, 5v+ from PC, Signal +, Signal -, 0V , and the plug outer which is ground (earth for us Brits).
I found the Jaz cable linked 5 v+ and Signal+, also 0v to Signal -. which could be how the Jaz selects charger / PC reader mode.
I Don't have an 808HD - yet, so this is just floating an Idea to help towards an explantation of what is being seen.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:18 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Tom,

I just tried to take a video with a generic and provided HD camera USB cables. Neither allowed charging.

I can plug in the car charger into a power converter and try to see if you can video with car charger connected.

Bill

EDIT: You can take a video with the car charger plugged into the USB. So the car charger should be marked for HD camera use and not get it confused with similar chargers. It's 5 volt output but so is my car power point charger which came with my Magellan GPS. I will check out and see if the GPS car charger will work and allow taking a video.
I can confirm taking video with the supplied charger plugged into my power outlet in my truck. I did it on the way home from taking my first videos with the HD. Took a 20 minute clip, closed and started a new 10 minute clip before I shut it down upon arriving home.

What I can't confirm is whether the supplied charger will charge only since I cannot get the red light to come on (i.e. charge, no video) while using the supplied charger.

Bill or someone, does your camera go into a charge only mode (red light) when using the charger?

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:31 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Just a random thought - The Jaz HD camera has an AC (wall wart) charger, which ends in a micro usb plug. This charger charges the Jaz ok.
Pluging the Jaz into a PC USB port - same micro USB socket - does NOT charge the Jaz, just allows you to read the SD card in the Jazz.
USB plugs have 5 connections, 5v+ from PC, Signal +, Signal -, 0V , and the plug outer which is ground (earth for us Brits).
I found the Jaz cable linked 5 v+ and Signal+, also 0v to Signal -. which could be how the Jaz selects charger / PC reader mode.
I Don't have an 808HD - yet, so this is just floating an Idea to help towards an explantation of what is being seen.
Mike
Yes, this is what I was referring to (without the specifics) way back in my post #167. Also, since the vendor has said the camera WILL both charge and shoot video when connected to its dedicated car charger cord, I will believe that until proven other wise.

I wouldn't rely on the lack of the normal red charging LED not turning on as positive proof that the battery is not charging, because the USB connection is different on the car charger cord than it would be when connected to the computer USB port.

A more positive test would be to shoot some video until the camera battery is discharged, erase and reinsert the flash card, then hook it up to the car charger cord and start shooting video again. If the camera records until the card is full, then as a minimum the camera is getting power from the charger and not the battery. If after the test you can erase the card, reinsert it, and shoot video with the camera disconnected from the charger cord, then the battery was also being charged while it was shooting video in the prior sequence.

Ideally both the red and yellow LEDs would light when shooting video when powered by the car charger, but it might not have been practical to do that with the circuit arrangement they have.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
I can confirm taking video with the supplied charger plugged into my power outlet in my truck. I did it on the way home from taking my first videos with the HD. Took a 20 minute clip, closed and started a new 10 minute clip before I shut it down upon arriving home.

What I can't confirm is whether the supplied charger will charge only since I cannot get the red light to come on (i.e. charge, no video) while using the supplied charger.

Bill or someone, does your camera go into a charge only mode (red light) when using the charger?

Yabba
Yabba,

Mine does not have the red charge indicator go on when connected to the charger. Go figure. I also have a handy little two port USB adapter that you plug into car power point (cigar lighter). I picked it up at the Black and Decker store to charge phones and other devices that work with a USB cable. Anyway, I plugged this two port USB adaper into the and the same power converter (110v to 12 v). Then I connected a standard, generic USB and plugged in the HD cam. The camera red charge light goes on. So, the potential may exist that the plug in car charger ONLY powers the camera so you can take videos but does NOT charge the HD key cam.

I will take photo of the USB two port adapter.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 05, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
OK Noob question.
where do your videos an pics get stored?
I fave three folders
DCIM-
100media

IMAGE-
record

VIDEO-
record
vlt

The image and video folders were created by the camera, but all images and videos are store in the DCIM/100media folder.
Does this make sense?
jazz53 is offline Find More Posts by jazz53
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:46 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz53 View Post
OK Noob question.
I fave three folders
DCIM-
DCIM/100Media/video file (PTDC in the case of my HD).

note: 100media may be something else with the HD. I'm experimenting with my hd right now and can't check so I used my #3 instead, same,same except not sure of the name of the folder that will open up from the DCIM folder.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
OK Noob question.
I fave three folders
DCIM-
100media

IMAGE-
record

VIDEO-
record
vlt

The image and video folders were created by the camera, but all images and videos are store in the DCIM/100media folder.
Does this make sense?

Yes, DCIM has the pictures and videos. Pictures are jpegs and videos are Quicktime movies (.mov).
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:55 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Mine just came in the mail today.....Took some test vids and I can't wait to strap it to my plane....By the way guy's keep up the good work for us noobs!
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
100 Posts
OK then why does the camera make the IMAGE and VIDEO folders and sub folders?
jazz53 is offline Find More Posts by jazz53
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:34 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
We don't know. It could be for some future use, or carry over from firmware for a different camera. Bottom line... does it matter? I'm happy as long as the video is recorded intact ANYWHERE on the SD card.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:35 AM
United States, TX, Waco
Joined Sep 2008
78 Posts
Do the sellers in post 2 sell the real #3. I am still working on my flying skills and need the cheaper one...lol...
crzytxn is offline Find More Posts by crzytxn
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:16 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzytxn View Post
Do the sellers in post 2 sell the real #3. I am still working on my flying skills and need the cheaper one...lol...
eletoponline365 still sells the #3, not sure about the others.
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:38 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,478 Posts
Quote:
#7 does that too. Videos are stored in the video folder, JPEGs in the Images folder.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:10 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Just a heads up, when I received my camera yesterday, it did not work. The RESET hole was off on the case from the actual RESET switch, so when I pushed in "reset" the camera I broke off the switch. This actually helped, since the RESET switch was pressed in and wouldn't allow the camera to power on. The camera has since been removed from the its case and is ready for some in-flight videos...

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:32 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Focus Problem

Hi Everyone,

On close inspection I have discovered my camera has a problem with its focus. In the top half of the frame the focus is good, but in the bottom half it is poor. The attached picture of a brick wall shows the problem well. The problem is there in video / pictures and is there for more distant objects too. I think I have a bad lens.

I've contacted the the vendor (eletoponline365), but I'm keen to know if anyone else has a problem like this with large area of a frame out of focus?

Simon

Edit: I've attached a couple of video frames for comparison. Same problem!
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Last edited by sgbfly; Jan 06, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Closed Thread