HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
First thing, MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone, I trust that all of you have mailed santa the finalized list of what boats and parts you want. To my dismay I was told that NCR and RCR wins are all on back order, darn!
I finished the season awards for the Elk Grove Model Yacht Club, bumped up the personalizing some more for this year to justify the increase in price. What do you guys think? Also have the Seawind class and Us1meter. Have not started thinking on how I'll improve them for next year yet.
Mike R.
Michael Rindfles is offline Find More Posts by Michael Rindfles
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:23 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
228 Posts
That would be such a nice trophy to receive Michael, well done, so personal to have your own number on each class.
You are a very clever and patient modeler.
Best wishes from "Middle Earth."
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:38 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
709 Posts
Wow, those are incredible Mike. Amazing job you've done. Congrats to the winners!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:49 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,195 Posts
Another fantastic job, Mike.

Those not in the Elk Grove MYC club might not know, Mike not only put the sail numbers of the winning skippers' boats on the trophies, but he also has matched the correct colors of each skipper's boat!

What a craftsman.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined Dec 2008
8 Posts
All I can say is that you've out done yourself this year.

And I hope next year some of those have your name on them!

Thanks!

Mark
fusion927 is offline Find More Posts by fusion927
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:46 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,857 Posts
Hi Mike,

WOW, You sure have put a lot of work into you trophies. They are beautiful!

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
Thank you everyone. For me it is just doing what I most enjoy. And I'm not so sure about one for myself, would have been a royal pain to put a flame paint job on the boat. Mike.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2008
8 Posts
But you managed my checkered deck! That couldn't have been easy
fusion927 is offline Find More Posts by fusion927
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
The checker board was not to hard, the checks are a whole lot larger than scale. After I painted them it struck me that I could have made them scale by using a decal. With all the detailing I did to this years trophies I developed new forms and jigs to speed up the process. Next year I can step it up some more. Mike.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,195 Posts
Details? Like getting the style of sail corner patches correct for each boat? (Star pattern in my US1M and solid on Marks)

An amazing amount of work. You must have taken photos of each boat to keep it all straight.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2014
68 Posts
I took photos when you were at Elk Grove pond in November and later I had to have mark send me better shots of his cJ. Even after that, I still could not duplicate the calking lines on his deck. Yours and Bob's turned out pretty good.
With the 1 meters, I thought Bob got third. I had to hurry and make James' boat, with the curved main and jib booms I might add. I soaked a couple long round tooth picks in water and rubber banded them on my mini sail form until they were dry.
I even painted the NCR chevron on your cJ's hatch. I should have used a decal for that to, if I was thinking I could have duplicated the different fonts everyone used on their sail numbers with decals. Next year.
Mike.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 07:32 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
709 Posts
Mike,

You missed a waterspot on Steve's deck that I remember seeing up there in September!!!

Truly amazing attention to detail!!!

Kevin
C-J #551
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist