SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:36 AM
Crash land!
Geelong Vic, Australia
Joined Sep 2009
635 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

Wow I'd have thought lipo travel rules would be opposite.

Think I'd rather have a lipo with me in the plane and know it's safe than have some baggage handler throw my bags into the cargo hold and risk starting a fire I had no idea or control of.
Joffa_Dan is offline Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:37 AM
UK, South Yorkshire, Sheffield
Joined May 2009
968 Posts
Cool, I'm doing the same, have the box done already, should I call them or simple put the lipos on the check in box and thats it?
Bandarra is offline Find More Posts by Bandarra
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:38 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Call them to be sure. Also about the R/C plane. Different airliens, different policies. Make sure you state that it's ELECTRIC airplane. Gas airplanes are not allowed on most airlines.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:39 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I think I'd rather have the lipos in the checkin luggage than to have some random terrorist short a 4S 5000 with his seatbelt buckle

If I can't bring my shampoo as carry-on, the LiPo is definitely staying out of the cabin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa_Dan View Post
Thanks for the tip.

Wow I'd have thought lipo travel rules would be opposite.

Think I'd rather have a lipo with me in the plane and know it's safe than have some baggage handler throw my bags into the cargo hold and risk starting a fire I had no idea or control of.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:25 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa_Dan View Post
Nice vid. How did you pack the Zephyr and all your gear?
Pack? He just flew the Zeph alongside the jetliner all the way over from Austria, you didn't see that video yet?

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
If I can't bring my shampoo as carry-on
Shampoo? What scent/brand do you use? I'm aspiring to become a babe magnet just like you are and stock up on the stuff

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:33 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about Sander
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:39 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
He talks about your new long-range transatlantic FPV flight! Hell, you have to waste yourself too bad when you don't remember!
Rastislavko is offline Find More Posts by Rastislavko
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:44 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Ratislavko: you have no idea We got so ... soo ... SOOOO drunk in NYC. I promised not to tell it to anyone, as it's quite embarassing when you think about it soberly. But it was funny as hell.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:55 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
No, lipos are not allowed as carry-on! you need to check them in. we called the airline prior, they said the lipos are fine as check-in - you should call them too if you want to travel with your R/C plane. they can tell you all about it.
Interesting, on my last trip to Alaska, last year, I was told to bring them as a carry-on. Which I did, all in a plastic toolbox with planes, tx and all necessary gear. Box was opened and inspected without a hitch. I also believe it has something to do with the ma's of the lipos. My largest I believe was
400ma 2s/ in a lipo sack.
mrfliboy is online now Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
International flights have very different security policies I believe. I'm not sure. Travelling out of the USA they specifically told us that spare "laptop or mobile phone batteries" were not allowed to be carried into the cabin.

They also opened my Zephyr and I suspect they checked to see if the battery had been plugged in. I always thought it might be really cool to have a R/C car or MK ready to run in the package area and you could enable it in flight and drive around, check out the innards of the plane etc. They told me on the phone that if I brought a RC Tx with me on the plane the stewardesses will take away my battery during the flight and return it to me at the end. Pretty sweet service, though.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:08 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
I brought lipo both ways in many (international) airlines and usually it's not a problem.
If you keep it with you you need them protected and unplugged. They might bother you, so be early.. it can take an hour sometimes. (that include stuff like special scan, having them keep your batteries til landing etc etc)

If you don't keep it with you (my favorite solution now because waiting 1H sucks), put them protected in a lipo bag (and protect the lipo contacts).

Likewise for the radio and video equipment. They're annoying during the security scan more often than not.

I take the plane with me every time. Mine is small enough to fit the requirement (split Zephyr), strong enough to survive possible chocks etc (again, Zephyr - it did fall a couple of times while traveling ;p) and usually the pilot asks whats that big bag (the customs and security guards don't care they just scan it through a special scanner to make sure it doesn't emit any radio wave). And when you show them a plane, I have yet to meet a pilot that wouldn't be excited about it (especially when you show the on-board camera

I was using a plane in a foam box previously and it's a lot less convenient

ps: it always depends on the country, airport, period/time and person in charge, so when one thing works one time don't expect it to work again reliably
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:33 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
exactly. your best bet is always to call your airline a few days prior to travel and have the assistant give you her name, write down what she says and that'll be what you need to go by. I contacted 3 different airlines, 3 different policies, 3 different fees. Same departure and destination. In case you have to check in your bag, ask if they handle fragile items (!!!). The airline I flew with didn't, but it was too late by then. So I just bought a couple of fragile stickers at the airport and hoped for the best.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:09 PM
DODOLAND
Joined Feb 2009
151 Posts
TRAPPY, you are a Sick person, flying in new york like that after all these S***t that happened there.RESPECT my friend,please don't push the limit too high ,we don't want you to get into trouble as we will miss you .
I think you should change your name to DAREDEVIL..you are such a Fing pilot.VERY nice Video though.
BTW next time don't drink alcohol plz but have a soda instead. you throw out so much on the high street there that they are still cleaning. LOL

Cheers,
Anthony.
flight01 is offline Find More Posts by flight01
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:00 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
---
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Last edited by AgentCow007; Dec 08, 2010 at 08:23 PM.