HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
Chuck, you've known me for a while now and you're just figuring that out? LOL.
You're right though. Sickness or obcessed are good words to use in my case.
it takes one to know one!
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:47 AM
No mods no glory!
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Some more pics with the 6s and sepert BEC I am going to start with running a 6x4 prop. My 7x5 runs at 103amp 2000watts lol. I would think a 6x4 would do the trick at 90amps 1700watts.
What motor and ESC are you using?
micromantis is offline Find More Posts by micromantis
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Motor. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Motor.html

Esc. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

I made a custom bracket for the motor.
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, VA, Louisa
Joined Apr 2007
18 Posts
Quote:
i would say around 90mph with 7x6 apc and 40-90c lipos is my guess!
We radared Jason Cole's stock Moray at E-week and it was 90 MPH.
w4sm is offline Find More Posts by w4sm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Could the wing be converted to let 2 servo's be put in it (like the DF) allowing more space for a battery?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, VA, Louisa
Joined Apr 2007
18 Posts
After a couple of bad hand launches (a qualified helper to do the launching would be a BIG help until you get things trimmed out, after that it's easy on your own). I finally got the Moray trimmed out and flying on rails. It's a tough little plane! Using the stock 1600 mAh 4S pack pushed all the way back, the CG is about a quarter inch forward of the recommended 50 mm mark, but it seems to fly fine here with nice pitch stability. There's enough elevator authority for a good landing, though it does, as you would expect, land a little hot.

Even though it was nose heavy, at least according to the recommended CG, the elevator setting on mine for normal flight is neutral or even a hair of down elevator for straight and level flight. I set my trims to be flight mode dependent and I have one setting for launch that carries a couple millimeters of up and a millimeter or so of right aileron to help counteract low-speed torque. I launch upward at about a 30 deg. angle with about 2/3rds throttle.

My initial prop/spinner setup was definitely out of balance, but rotating the spinner 180 degs. resulted in a marked improvement in vibration. The prop itself was nearly perfectly balanced.

For radio I have one of the new Spektrum AR400 receivers. It's small and full range with a separate amplified antenna. Checking data after each flight shows 0-1 frame losses per flight.

My ESC is in the prop brake mode. I don't know if others have this as well, and I've yet to find the programming setup for the stock ESC to switch it off. Not a big problem, but a free wheeling prop would increase drag some for landing and might be less likely to break. If anyone has the programming info. please pass it along.

The supplied 20C battery gets warm after a five minute flight at full power most of the time, but it's not too warm. I haven't tried a higher C pack yet.

The aileron servo fits below the receiver tray and I believe that there is room for a couple of servos if you want one on each aileron. This would give some redundancy, more power per surface, and would allow reflexing upward to help bleed off landing speed, though this doesn't seem to be as big a problem as it is with smoother finished planes like my VIP.

This is a really fun, speedy plane stock, and it will be interesting to see all the hop ups. Enjoy!
w4sm is offline Find More Posts by w4sm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Could the wing be converted to let 2 servo's be put in it (like the DF) allowing more space for a battery?
U could but its not worth it in My opinion. The set up with One servo is nice. U just have to add lead to the back.
Last edited by olllian; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4sm View Post
We radared Jason Cole's stock Moray at E-week and it was 90 MPH.
Nice i figured it was close.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Quote:
U could but its not worth it in My opinion. The set up with One servo is nice. U just have to add lead to the back.
It's always worth putting bigger batteries in, better voltage under load = more power and longer flight times. I'm sure I'm not the only 1 thinking of removing the tray to give more options on the motor/esc/lipo choice.

How wide is the fuse inside (how wide can the battery be)?

I'm guessing the stock setup must be around the 30a mark, prob a bit less in flight, 5 mins from a 1600mah battery means it can't be asking much, and the supplied lipo is only good for 32a anyway, unlikely that retailers will supply a battery which needs to go into it's burst rate to maintain full power. I'm surprised no-one has put a watt meter on it yet.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
It's always worth putting bigger batteries in, better voltage under load = more power and longer flight times. I'm sure I'm not the only 1 thinking of removing the tray to give more options on the motor/esc/lipo choice.

How wide is the fuse inside (how wide can the battery be)?

I'm guessing the stock setup must be around the 30a mark, prob a bit less in flight, 5 mins from a 1600mah battery means it can't be asking much, and the supplied lipo is only good for 32a anyway, unlikely that retailers will supply a battery which needs to go into it's burst rate to maintain full power. I'm surprised no-one has put a watt meter on it yet.
True i did mod my tray a little. Max u can fit is a 2200mah 5s skylipo that I checked. there is plenty of room for the length. And I did do an amp test w stock setup 450watts 32 amp
Last edited by olllian; Oct 22, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,719 Posts
Ollian...with the 1500 kv motor..could you let me know what the amps and watts are with a 7 x6 apc?...any better then the stock motor?
Thanks,
-dave
shhhhh! is online now Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
Ollian...with the 1500 kv motor..could you let me know what the amps and watts are with a 7 x6 apc?...any better then the stock motor?
Thanks,
-dave
Shhh if you are planning on staying with 4s the stock motor is fine its nice. But if you want to run 5s or 6s i would recomend the 1500kv for low cost! But when i had the 7x5apc on the 1500kv motor on 6s its pulls max 103amps at 2210watts. I have a 6x5.5 on right now and i am heading the the field right now to try them both out!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Well boys as promised I got my flight in today on 6s HOLLY crap is this plane fast it sounds like an F1 car. It still fly’s awesome with my setup! Super happy with the speed I think I am around 140+mph but I will have my friend use a radar gun this weekend to prove it I used a 7x5apc and it ripps. After I landed I checked the esc and motor was not as warm as I was thinking it would be. I highly recommend my setup wow......

This is the last 3 big laps i did in the video enjoy. Sorry its with my iphon!

IMG 1271 (0 min 44 sec)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
Quote:
Well boys as promised I got my flight in today on 6s HOLLY crap is this plane fast it sounds like an F1 car. It still fly’s awesome with my setup! Super happy with the speed I think I am around 140+mph but I will have my friend use a radar gun this weekend to prove it I used a 7x5apc and it ripps. After I landed I checked the esc and motor was not as warm as I was thinking it would be. I highly recommend my setup wow......

This is the last 3 big laps i did in the video enjoy. Sorry its with my iphon!

Nice!
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Looks and sounds great ollian! I may have to reconsider purchasing another one
03svtsnakevert is online now Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert