HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Yeah we need new pics and videos from the new guys. Going to get some video this weekend if the forecast holds up. Last weekend blew in so many ways!

cdee have you messed with the timing or start up on the new esc? Still trying to figure which is which with the sounds. Should have got the programming card last time I ordered. Will get it the next time I get some other stuff from TH.
I have been doing some testing with different timing settings, everything else I have left as stock. If you are wanting to play around with these, definitely get the programing card. What I have discovered with doing it via the transmitter, is that you have to go through the entire sequence for EACH setting, ie you can not do more than one "setting" per "cycle". This makes for a very time consuming process, and the only way to verify your settings is to listen to the whole sequence (yet again) when done and compare it to the included chart. The Twisted Hobbys' ESC are very nice and if you plan on getting others, the Card would be a nice addition to your tool set.

Soft start up is a good default... in regards to Timing, especially on the bigger motors for the 39" and plus models, using low timing will let you run a little more prop, but on the small 32" planes there are not as many choices for props, so sticking with Auto is probably the best.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I see Mark has the X Series 1480kv motor back in stock. I'm not sure it's rated for 3S but I've been running them on it quite a lot and haven't had any problems. If we could get the 24g or 26g Crack Series motor I'd have said go for that but at least with the X Series motor you won't be changing your cog. Works well on 2S with a nine inch prop too but is more suited to indoor with very smooth throttling.
Is that the same one i have?
I had took the yak and the pitts to the park today. First i flew the pitts on 3s, it was epic. So i had a go on the crack yak on 2s, and man was that ultra dull. I hated it. I just didnt want to fly it, so i flew the pitts again on 3s, and unfortunately i dunked it into the ground and broke the motor off completely.... Anyway that meant i had to go back to the Crack yak, so i said, ill try it on 3S. Now, we are talking! Much better, it flew OK, for about 5 mins, until i opened the taps and the prop saver broke again. Motor wasnt hot, but the esc was a bit.
So anyone want to buy some 2s packs? Looks like i wont be needing them anymore...
On the flip side, i think my flying has stepped up a level, im hammering around, doing crazy stuff and crashing a lot more. Is that good or bad?
J.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,165 Posts
It's amazing how 3s transforms these planes. Much more enjoyable on 3s for me. I still pull out the 2s batteries for some low and slow night flying though.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:17 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
It's amazing how 3s transforms these planes. Much more enjoyable on 3s for me.
Yep, like Jekyll and Hyde, 2s and 3s, so so much more power. I love it when the frame shakes and lurches forward when you give it the beans, the extra just accelerates, the analagy is like a ferrari and the fiat 500 (with a chevy big block).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Is that the same one i have?
I think you've got the same motor but the 1800kv version on your Crack Yak, a few have flown them on 3S with an eight inch prop but it is pushing it a bit and I don't particularly like the feel of it, great on 2S though. It might work a bit better on 3S with a bit of work on throttle end points and throttle curves, maybe even altering timing and things on the esc too. The 1480kv version on 3S with an eight inch prop is nice, pretty close the the feel of the Crack Series 1450kv but not quite. As I said before on 2S this motor really needs a nine inch prop it doesn't have the same punch but the power and torque is oh so smooth, fantastic for indoor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
On the flip side, i think my flying has stepped up a level, im hammering around, doing crazy stuff and crashing a lot more. Is that good or bad?
J.
That's got to be a good thing, if your not crashing a foamie your not trying hard enough. Must be time for an unedited balls to the wall video
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
It's amazing how 3s transforms these planes. Much more enjoyable on 3s for me. I still pull out the 2s batteries for some low and slow night flying though.
Prop ?
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
I'll strap the prop on with tie wraps again and fly on 3s. When it blows up, I'll get the motor from twisted.
Not much time at the sticks today, 1 pack with each, so no balls to the wall, just experimenting and having a crack.
EDIT: vid didnt work, reuploading.
Last edited by jimbo320; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Prop ?
8x4.3 on 3s and 9x4.7 on 2s. I'm running the old 1800kv motor and on 3s i have the throttle dialed back to max out at 70%. I think i may have killed the motor after a few months of 3s crashes so i'm probably going to replace it with the 26 gram motor. http://twistedhobbys.com/Outrunner-2...26g-1450KV.htm
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,314 Posts
Thanks for the info cdee. I don't know what I was thinking when I didn't get the programming card last order. It'll be on the short list after the holidays.

Guess I'll have to give 3s another shot maybe on the Yak this time. Got half dozen packs from HP just sitting here.

The difference between the the old motor and new ones is pretty good. Just switched my slick to the 24 gram motor and it's much more likeable.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
Wow this thing is an addiction. I have had mine for 2 months and I now have 12 batteries, 2 X6 parallel charging cables with X6 balancers as well. Nonstop crack-a-lackin for me!! I'm glad I stumbled on this thread when looking for a 3-d plane. My wallet, however, wishes I hadn't.

BTW, the turnigy nanotech 460's bring this plane to life without 3S. Just my 2 cents.
drakison is offline Find More Posts by drakison
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Two Crazy Cracks on 3s.

Two Crazy Cracks on 3S (3 min 6 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:44 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Budget tight at the moment. Hard to decide. Night lights or 3s?
Decisions, decisions.
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,314 Posts
Nice video jimbo looks like you're having fun with 3s.

I'd go 3s, but that's just me. Working third shift pretty much keeps me away from night flying. Does look like fun!
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
Gig Harbor, WA.
Joined Jul 2010
159 Posts
Yes. In good old sunny Washington state. It will soon be dark at about 4:20 pm.
But generally the wind dies down. Night lights would allow some stick time. On evenings when its not raining.

But then again. I really like the way the Cracker scoots with the 3s. Really impressive acceleration!

Think I'll go with a few 3s packs!
Chris Arena is offline Find More Posts by Chris Arena
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:17 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,609 Posts
Chris, good choice. 3s kicks ass!

Thanks Kamikaze, alway fun when the yak and the pitts are in the park

And 3s = more fun!
Last edited by jimbo320; Nov 15, 2012 at 03:30 AM.