Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:14 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Russ,
where is your Aileron gyro Gain wire connected to?
Wher is your elevator gyro gain wire connected to?
Gain wire is plugged into channel 5 plug. Elevator gain is plugged into channel 6.

Also how do I hook both gyros up to the control switch?

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
DJ I'm sorely tempted to do just that. I've actually thought about just buying a 3 axis gyro for it and be done with it. No guess work.

What I'm trying to do is make a wind proof airplane. It's almost impossible to land if the wind is blowing 5 mph or above. It's very touchy.

I've got a micro beast. Looks exactly like the Peaks only tiny. I came with AS3X system. I was able to fly it in 7 mph wind conditions and land it smoothly as if there were no wind.

Russ
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
Gain wire is plugged into channel 5 plug. Elevator gain is plugged into channel 6.

Also how do I hook both gyros up to the control switch?

Russ
So Ailerons is on ch 5 the Gear Switch
and Elevator is on ch6, but is ch6 a dial or a switch?

If you can't figure out the vids, your likely better off with an A3 Pro
A3 or A3Pro are the easiest to set up
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
So Ailerons is on ch 5 the Gear Switch
and Elevator is on ch6, but is ch6 a dial or a switch?

If you can't figure out the vids, your likely better off with an A3 Pro
A3 or A3Pro are the easiest to set up
Not sure. I think it's either or. Now the main plugs are plugged into channels 1 and 2. But I don't have channel 2 under the switch.

Russ
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Gyro - Yikes!

I just bought a 3 axis gyro. It'll be here within 7 days. Will let you know how it turns out.

Russ
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
540 Posts
I bought a Skyfun jet last year:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14517

Flew twice and crashed as many times. Put it up for later.

Put a 3 axis gyro on it........I'm flying!
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
I just bought a 3 axis gyro. It'll be here within 7 days. Will let you know how it turns out.

Russ
Remember to test it on a cheap airplane first, to make sure it works. It would suck to put a cruch on an expensive plane, only to have it fail and crash your expensive plane any ways.

Mick
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
I bought a Skyfun jet last year:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14517

Flew twice and crashed as many times. Put it up for later.

Put a 3 axis gyro on it........I'm flying!
Yeh I've got a Funjet Ultra that I haven't had much luck with. Last time I crashed I had the ailerons backward. So I've got it fixed and ready to go again. This time I left nothing to chance.

BTW I'd still like to kinow why I"m having so much wobble problems with my setup. I've got the exact same thing that Melnic uses. But the ailerons shake like it can't make up its mind which way it wants to go.

Russ
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
540 Posts
Quote:
Yeh I've got a Funjet Ultra that I haven't had much luck with. Last time I crashed I had the ailerons backward. So I've got it fixed and ready to go again. This time I left nothing to chance.

BTW I'd still like to kinow why I"m having so much wobble problems with my setup. I've got the exact same thing that Melnic uses. But the ailerons shake like it can't make up its mind which way it wants to go.

Russ
Too much gain maybe. If I do a high speed run, the ails. shake.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Russ. If you cant tell me the ch that the elevator gain wire is connected to then thats a problem in itself. At least with a dedicated 3 axis gyro it should be easier to set up. Consider removing the elevator gyro until then
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Too much gain maybe. If I do a high speed run, the ails. shake.
Melnics question was how I had my gain hooked up. That's one detail he didn't go into much detail on. For instance he didn't show how he hooked up his wiring. Just explained it, assuming we understood the language. So here's how I set my rig up.
  • Unplugged the aileron from channel one and plugged the gyro into it.

Plugged that servo wire into the gyro.

Plugged the gain wire into channel 5
Channel five, as it shows on my TX, is the gear/gyro switch.

I 0'd all my trims and set all the control surfaces to centered. So I'm mechanically set to 0.

Now on my elevator I did the same as above only with the elevator wiriing. I plugged the gain into channel 6. But I don't know how to control channel 6 ... yet. From what I'm reading in the Futaba manual I have to choose a control switch in order to operate channel 6 so I'm still learning.

Russ
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Russ. If you cant tell me the ch that the elevator gain wire is connected to then thats a problem in itself. At least with a dedicated 3 axis gyro it should be easier to set up. Consider removing the elevator gyro until then
Hi Melnic. The gyro gain wire is plugged into channel 6. As I was explaining above I've got to assign channel 6 to a switch. I have an A-B switches. In fact, here's a picture of my Futaba layout so we can be on the same page.

From what I'm understanding the knob in the center of the TX is for controlling channel 6.

Russ
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Knowing what dial/switch is controlling the gain on your gyro is very important.

Russ, that's why earlier I suggested you hook up a servo to the channel (6) where the gyro gain wire was, so you could visualize what the gain setting is.

Do this: Hook up a spare servo to ch6, verify that turning the knob on that center dial actually moves the servo.
Once you are able to do that, plug the elevator gyro back up to the Rx, power everything up.
Move the dial so that the GY48V light is ON. (lit)
Now SLOWLY move it so that the GY48V light goes OFF (not lit).
Now that you found the transition, turn the dial an additional 30 degrees of rotation in the same direction that brought it OFF.
GYRO LED should still be off.
Lift tail of airplane and as you are lifting tail, the elevator must be going up.
LEAVE DIAL ALONE FOR NOW

DO NOT TAKE PLANE OFF IF EITHER GYRO LED IS ON. This will assue it's in rate mode.

If the airplane tail wags up/downwhen you fly faster, slow down, rotate dial closer to the center point.

BTW, If your ailerons shake in flight, it's cause the gain is too high.
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 22, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:14 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
833 Posts
Thanks Mel. I really appreciate the time you're putting into me.

BTW I've come to realize there is one huge descrepancy here. I can 't see my gyros as they're inside the fuselage on top of the wing center. I can't put 'em in the battery compartment cause there's no room for 'em. I've thought about putting them in the cockpit but the canopy is glued in place. Only other alternative is to mount them under the wings and just punch holes in the side of the fuse. Probably should put 'em on a different plane until the 3 axis comes in. Probably better suited for a profile foamy anyway.

Russ
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:57 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,227 Posts
I'm using an Eagle A3 for basic gyro turbulence dampening on 3 axis, for FPV. It really helps, and the plane handles the bumps wonderfully.
However, I notice that it has taken out some of my Twinstar's inherent positive stability, and made it more neutrally stable. For example, it resists turbulence trying to lift a wing, but once it does manage to find itself in a bank, it also resists the dihedral effect of trying to level the wings. So the net effect is that instead of having the wings rocking back and forth in turbulence, it smoothly rolls off one way or the other if I stop working the ailerons to keep wings level. Has anyone else noticed this?
I guess I need the Guardian.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess