HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:28 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,872 Posts
The step on either side is 7mm and the center of the hub is 5mm. For a standard prop saver to work you would have to glue in a 5mm ring and then ream it to 5.5mm.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2013, 05:16 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS welcome your opinions how to make our props fit your demand?

pls send your mail to: gws4ceo@gmail.com

In USA: service@gwsus.com
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Aug 07, 2013, 06:01 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,872 Posts
The easy fix is to make a 5.5mm ring to match the old hub size so the props will fit all the motors that are that size.
Mike
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:21 AM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
389 Posts
GWS is making me look bad

I sent the following e-mail to GWS in the USA: service@gwsus.com.

Dear GWS:

For the past half dozen years, I have been teaching summer classes about building radio controlled airplanes. The students have been children in elementary school and middle school. In the classes we've built LeadFeather's "Fire Fly", "Yak 55", and "Sky Cart".

As a result of my classes, my pupils and I have airplanes that use your GWS Slow-Fly propellers. Our airplanes have motors and prop-savers designed to fit the 5.5mm hub of the old GWS Slow-Fly propellers.

Recently, you increased the hub diameter of your new GWS Slow-Fly propellers from 5.5mm to 7mm.

We need washers with an inner diameter of 5.5mm and an outer diameter of 7mm to allow us to use your new propellers with our old airplanes. I have searched the web and can't find any supplier of such washers. I would be most appreciative if you could either supply those washers or point me to someone who sells them.

Oddly enough, you supply, with your new propellers, washers with an inner diameter of 5mm and an outer diameter of 7mm. Those are not useful to us. None of my students owns a propeller reamer.

Sadly, I have had to explain to my students that because GWS changed the propeller design, we can no longer get propellers for our airplanes! What a terrible way to introduce kids to the hobby!
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Old Aug 25, 2013, 04:02 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoguy View Post
I sent the following e-mail to GWS in the USA: service@gwsus.com.

Dear GWS:

For the past half dozen years, I have been teaching summer classes about building radio controlled airplanes. The students have been children in elementary school and middle school. In the classes we've built LeadFeather's "Fire Fly", "Yak 55", and "Sky Cart".

As a result of my classes, my pupils and I have airplanes that use your GWS Slow-Fly propellers. Our airplanes have motors and prop-savers designed to fit the 5.5mm hub of the old GWS Slow-Fly propellers.

Recently, you increased the hub diameter of your new GWS Slow-Fly propellers from 5.5mm to 7mm.

We need washers with an inner diameter of 5.5mm and an outer diameter of 7mm to allow us to use your new propellers with our old airplanes. I have searched the web and can't find any supplier of such washers. I would be most appreciative if you could either supply those washers or point me to someone who sells them.

Oddly enough, you supply, with your new propellers, washers with an inner diameter of 5mm and an outer diameter of 7mm. Those are not useful to us. None of my students owns a propeller reamer.

Sadly, I have had to explain to my students that because GWS changed the propeller design, we can no longer get propellers for our airplanes! What a terrible way to introduce kids to the hobby!
It could just be me....but it seems like a bad idea to teach anyone that if it doesn't work out of the package it wont work at all...how hard is it to go buy a 5.5 mm drill and re-drill these new props to work for our motors? a 5.5mm drill is only a couple of bucks at a local hardware store. Plus it teaches another valuable skill that will be needed by your students if they want to further their interest in the hobby. Almost everyone of my larger planes requires some kind of modification to the prop hub to work with the motor.

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Painted Bowker Yak 55 for sale
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:04 AM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,203 Posts
one could find a strand of the appropriate size copper wire or thread to wind around the prop saver to fill the gap. A dab of CA, trim the excess and voila, instant spacer. could even power up the motor and sand the pre wound/glued spacer for a perfect fit if its too large. its called "modeling"
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Sep 29, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
389 Posts
For those of you who would like to just buy something that works, I've ordered and measured this prop adapter made by Hyperion.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-3-way...ft-p-1552.html

One side of the adapter has a 5.5mm hub while the other side has a 7mm hub. That means this adapter will work with both the old and new GWS standards for the slow-fly props; you just flip it over to change from one to the other.

The part also comes with an aluminum adapter ring that increases the 5.5mm hub to 7.7mm, although I don't know which props take a 7.7mm hub.

I bought the adapter that fits a 3mm motor shaft. It fits my "blue-wonder" style motors. However, the all-e-rc website also lists a version for 3.2mm shafts.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Old Nov 07, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
GWS 5.5mm spacer needed

Fully agree, GWS should at least make the 5.5 mm spacer!
As Mike says: The new hub no longer has a 5.5mm hex socket in it. The new props have a round 7mm socket in them and come with a set of spacers to fit different sizes of shafts. The spacer set comes with two each 3mm, 4mm and 5mm ID. They do not come with a 5.5mm spacer so all the motors (Hacker, ect..) and the prop savers that we are currently using do not fit.
flyespen is offline Find More Posts by flyespen
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:06 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2012
324 Posts
I got an email from a distributor:

"The Old EP8043 is discontinued
We have asked the manufacture to include more rings to fit different motors.

We should be getting them by the end of next month. Once we got them, we will include in the package and anyone who previously bought the item without the new rings will be able to get free rings."

Should have a 5.5 mm adapter which will fit the 2204-14T.
boa2110 is online now Find More Posts by boa2110
Old Nov 25, 2013, 03:04 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,872 Posts
Glad to hear. I will have to get the new adapters from GWS.
Mike
Old Jul 15, 2014, 02:18 PM
Piffard, New York
Joined Feb 2003
25 Posts
where can I get these prop adapter rings 7mm OD X 5.5 MM ID

where can I get these prop adapter rings 7mm OD X 5.5 MM ID
Gerard M Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Gerard M Weaver
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:49 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,872 Posts
I talked to GWS a month ago and they talked like there were no plans to make a 5.5 ID ring.
Mike