SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:04 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,537 Posts
Thats an amazing rendition of the full scale 172. Excellent work. Did all the paint add much weight?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Thank you!

I actually intend on flying it this weekend. As far as the weight, it did add some of course, but it's not going to be a significant amount. The plane seems to have plenty of power and should be readily able to take the extra weight.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,537 Posts
Yeah, It may even make it more stable in the air as well! I'd like to paint mine to look like an old 172RG we used to have at the airport I worked at but havent gotten around to it yet.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
We've got two of 'em in our fleet (172RG's)...and one derelect one at one of the airports (KASD) that I fly at occasionally.

Here is the build log that I did for the re-paint.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=flyzon+182
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
It flies!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Got tired of the stripes that Flyzone sends 'em out with. All of my airplanes have custom touches, but none as much as this one. My latest mod was to have Callie-Graphics do some more work for me and once again, she hit it spot on! I wanted some stripes that were similar to a factory Cessna scheme circa 2009/2010 and I modified a lil bit what she sent for my particular plane. The kewlest thing (to me) is the "N" number. Notice that it's the same as my screen name here, which is also the same screen name I use on many different forums around the web. First flight with the new colors will be this weekend!

Wondering why this thread/plane doesn't see much updating...???
Last edited by mds47588; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Flew two batteries thru mine this evening and woulda stayed out some more but the mosquito's did me in.

I must be about the only one that's left flying this plane or at least reading/updating this thread at all.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and tailwinds to all!

Last edited by mds47588; Dec 24, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Flew two batteries thru mine this evening and woulda stayed out some more but the mosquito's did me in.

I must be about the only one that's left flying this plane or at least reading/updating this thread at all.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and tailwinds to all!

Happy Holidays to you too. This thread has been pretty deserted lately. I have been flying my cessna lately. I have the gear off and am belly landing it. I fly mostly from a grass field so it works out pretty good. I do still miss doing touch n goes with it though. Mine has th sock color scheme.
I really like your new paint job.

Merry Christmas,
John.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:33 AM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Good to see others still flying them. Mine had an unfortunate mishap when I lost too much battery to make it home. It was a mess, with foam everywhere. But, I loved it a LOT! They fly very well, though I actually punched mine up a bit with a 450 eflite motor and that was money for making it a rocket ship at the field.

I flew this thing in the clouds and all over the place. Keep going with the updates. We read them, and enjoy them a ton.

Merry Christmas!
viper69 is offline Find More Posts by viper69
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
Qualified foam surgeon
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Apr 2012
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper69 View Post
Good to see others still flying them. Mine had an unfortunate mishap when I lost too much battery to make it home. It was a mess, with foam everywhere. But, I loved it a LOT! They fly very well, though I actually punched mine up a bit with a 450 eflite motor and that was money for making it a rocket ship at the field.

I flew this thing in the clouds and all over the place. Keep going with the updates. We read them, and enjoy them a ton.

Merry Christmas!
You make it sound as tho you couldn't salvage your plane? Did you?
I nose dived my plane like 3 different times into the dirt. With a little shop time i had mine back up in the air every time. These Flyzone planes have tough foam, that's why they are a little on the heavy side for foamies.
FlyGuy3345 is offline Find More Posts by FlyGuy3345
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
I've built four of these planes.

#1. Was my FIRST R/C plane and to make a long story short...it didn't end too well. Didn't
have any SIM time. Contributing was my all too small choice of a flying field. I simply
underestimated the size of real-estate that I'd need to fly. Damn trees!! What's left
was turned into spares.

#2. I bought #1 based on looks alone. Taking advice, I bought another and kept it until my
skills were up to the level of the plane. It's actually the one pictured above and one of my
favorites to fly.

#3. That's the 182 modelled after one of my employer's 172's. It's flown three times, but I've
only managed to get one picture of it airborne.

#4. One of my co-workers liked #3 so much he had to have one. He bought it, I assembled
and customized it. It's going to be displayed in the corporate offices.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:57 AM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy3345 View Post
You make it sound as tho you couldn't salvage your plane? Did you?
I nose dived my plane like 3 different times into the dirt. With a little shop time i had mine back up in the air every time. These Flyzone planes have tough foam, that's why they are a little on the heavy side for foamies.
I concur they are tough airplanes. It was repaired several times, once it bent the prop shaft pretty badly, so I upgraded to the eflite 480 (I believe I may have said 450 previously) I had sitting around. Flew well over 100 flights. I broke things here and there, including the nose gear which is a real bear to replace. Great airplane which I gave away to a guy as spares for his. Technically I could have repaired it again, but I have other airplanes that need attention.

The hands down best flying airplane I have ever owned is the Bixler. All it needs is a stiff APC prop and it is a real machine. The Cessna still looks sexy though! I miss it.
viper69 is offline Find More Posts by viper69
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Apr 2012
730 Posts
Yea the stock landing gear is crap. I modded mine into a tail dragger and got new struts for the main gear. My plane is a bush flying beast now. I'll post a pic of it later.
FlyGuy3345 is offline Find More Posts by FlyGuy3345
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:30 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Mine is waiting for a bit warmer weather and calm winds. I will wait till it is at least 50°F outside.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:46 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
303 Posts
Still working on mine here and there. Park 480 motor with 3 blade 10x6, tail dragger with nice rubber tires, plastic rims with bearings. I'm looking to give mine a nice paint scheme and to lighten up the tail by removing existing Sullivan tail wheel assy and replacing with a lightweight extended spring tail gear assy utilizing the rudder to enable steering. Had a servo for the other it just proved to be tail heavy. Was using 12x6sf electric prop. She definitely has intestinal fortitude.

She just needs more lift or less weight, she'll stall and snap roll in a heartbeat but if I catch it early I can usually power out.

As she lands with previous setup I had to keep er under power durring descent through flare. I did move the 40a speed controller up in the nose section above the battery and cut a cooling hole in the cowling. Haven't tried er since removing the tail wheel servo, three blade prop and moving the sc forward. Maybe it's plenty? We'll find out soon enough.

I did try extending and cupping the leading edge to improve lift... No great success, removed it.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24