SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:54 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
Question
Milwaukee's unsung hero

The Milwaukee Harbor Commission operates a small tug called the Harbor Seagull. She is only 44.5 feet long and does cleanup, occasional ice breaking, and maintenance chores around the harbor. This summer she has been called upon twice to respond to unfortunate mishaps. Early this summer a Cessna Citation medical transport plane went down off of the north shore. The Harbor Seagull was one of the first responders. The subsequent diving and recovery work was done from her deck. A few weeks ago a car went in the Milwaukee River from the boat launch. The Harbor Seagull used her crane arm to raise the car. I was really suprised to see this on TV as I didn't think she was big enough to do something like that.

I have a request to make to the participants in the Foss Cup this weekend. After all the events are run, all the scores are tallied, and the prizes awarded could you take a moment and tip your hats to the Harbor Seagull and all the small boats that do big jobs.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:13 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
There are a lot of neat boats working the Great Lakes! "Harbor Seagull" definately deserves a tip of the hat- and deserves to be modeled! Any other info on this boat?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
The Great Lakes region is the best place in the world for a boat nut to live. This morning I watched a "laker" come in light. I think she was heading for the grain elevator. We have two "saltys" in right now. One is delivering wind turbine parts (those blades are impressive), and the other lengths of natural gas pipeline.

The only hard info I have on Harbor Seagull is off the NOAA Vessel Documentation website http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/CoastGuard/index.html . If you are looking for vessel info this is a good place.

Harbor Seagull was built in Escanaba, MI in 1961 by T.D. Vinette Co. An interesting side note. I have a book by a Dale Vinette from Escanaba, MI about his WWII experiences as a Navy Diver. I am going to check and see if he is one and the same. If so maybe he will have some recollection of the Harbor Seagull. If someone is really interested in doing a model I would be willing to contact the Port Authority and see what info I can get hold of.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
All of that and fresh water too! (don't know if I would want the winters there though!) Based on what I can see of the HS, looks like a multi-chined hull which could be reletively simple to build- the overall details don't appear too complex... could be a very fun little project! Make it 15" - 20" build it out like an "ST-FTG", 12 volt, etc...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:18 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
We have two seasons, running and building. Generally we emerge from the basement on Groundhog day to gauge when the ice will be gone. One of our members gets impatient. Also you can get in some winter running if you have a big enough boat.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Burrrrrr!!!! Where did the lake go?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:45 PM
Menace to Navigation
Central Coast of CA
Joined Apr 2007
130 Posts
Reminds me of Montana, as they have two seasons, also. Winter and July 4th...
Mrs. Toe's is offline Find More Posts by Mrs. Toe's
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:39 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
The pond is the slippery looking patch half way between the sign and pine trees. The BIG Lake (Michigan) is just on the other side of the trees and about 60 feet down the cliff. It had some ice on it too.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:41 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
BTW the tug on the river is Gillen Cos. Andrew J. They had a barge two bridges up. The city is installing a riverwalk.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:51 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
That is some serious ice!

Having another look at the HS pictures, with the right adornment, the old bass and balsa wood "steam launch" kit from Midwest could almost work-
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
I was thinking of the Midwest Harbor tug. A member in our club makes a similar hull in fiberglass. I think the chine would need to be extended to the stem to get the proper look.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
I have one of Chuck's hulls- I really like it a lot! I was chatting with him around the time of the CJ crash you mention above and he also told me there was a converted fishtug that also helped in the recovery- I've got his version on the list!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 07:24 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
The dive boat I think was out there was the Lender. It is the boat on the left in the three boat pic.

We have another dive boat conversion called the Recovery owned by Roger Chapman.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Those old fish tugs sure have a lot of character! I plan to build one, one of these days- Would be a very unusual model to have on the west coat!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,773 Posts
When you decide to tackle one let me know and I'll get some research material to you. I have to get back up to the museums and pull some more stuff together. My younger brother was up from Georgia in June and I took him up to the Door County Maritime Museum at Gills Rock. They have a fish tug indoors on display. I want to get better detail photos and some dimensions of the net lifter. There is another one on display at Rogers Street Fishing Museum in Two Rivers.

Too many research projects. I am planning to go to St Louis this year and I want to stop at The Mississippi River Museum and take photos and dimensions off a sternwheeler they have there. It would be a great scratch project. It was used by a stone company. Gasoline powered and chain drive. Towboat Joe might know more about it. Just another idea on the list.