HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2005, 12:44 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Build Log
1/6th Mirror Dinghy

Now don't hold your breath... but, having hunted around for a thread about this kit without any luck I thought I would write my own. But, I do have other projects around the workshop so this will not be a concentrated effort, but if you are not in a rush I am sure we can see it through this winter.

Any comments and advice as I go will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have solved any problems I may come up against.

So, to start... This kit is by Osborn Products and I bought mine through Climate Boatworks in Canada. It is to 1/6th scale and follows the full size Mirror construction process of 'stitch and glue', the stitching being lengths of copper wire in this case.

First job was to cut lots of lengths of copper wire, I cut my wire a little shorter than recommended because a friend who built one last year told me that he did not have enough wire... I did have enough thanks to his warning.

As seen in the photo I stained one side, the inside, of the hull panels before starting. All staining needs to be done before gluing to avoid light patches.
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2005, 11:45 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
As I added more sections of the hull the shape starts to show itself... and the tension starts to build, both in the hull and me! The transom went in pretty easily but the bow is more difficult, I had a couple of the holes break out as I twisted tension into the wires to close the gaps between the panels. New holes a little further from the edge are easily drilled though for fresh stitching so all is well in the end. I finally managed to get the bow section pretty close, not perfect but there is always the glass cloth to rely on.

At this stage I tweaked the wire stitch tensions to get the panels to sit nicely together and remove a slight twist which was evident when viewing the transom top over the bow top.

The instructions say to glass tape the joints with the hull in this state, but if you offer the main bulkheads up to the hull you will find that the hull is much too narrow. So I cut a length of 1/4 square balsa to length and used it to hold the hull 'open' so that the bulkheads would fit just snugly. My reasoning being that why strengthen the hull while it is the wrong shape, then force it open and put all that stress on the tape joints.

Before glassing the tape in I turned the wired hull upside down and weighted it to make it lay flat on the bench... then ran medium cyano along all of the joints, this removed the slight twist and set the hull shape.
Old Nov 03, 2005, 11:22 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Gunwales...

Moving on and gradually catching up with my progress. I have glued in place the 1/8 square deck supports around the inside of the hull. Also the inner gunwale with is 1/8 square and the outer gunwale which is from 3/16 x 1/8. This was an area of the instructions which had me pondering awhile, the drawings show the inner and outer gunwale as 1/8 square so I was left wondering whether the outer had it's 1/8 edge or 3/16 edge glued to the hull. After consideration I went with the 3/16 edge as this gave the greater gluing area.

I am using the excellent review in Model Boats magazine from early this year as a photo reference and that one looks to have the outer gunwale the same as mine. Any full size skippers know better?

Graham
Old Nov 07, 2005, 12:11 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Bulkheads

I now have the three bulkheads in place... and much epoxy filling around the gaps has been done. The rear 'stowage compartment' bulkhead is not too good a fit to the hull bottom, in fact the mast support bulkhead (the fore and aft one) protrudes almost an 1/8" below the bulkhead so it is clearly cut too short. However, I will not close all of the gap because should water splash through the stowage holes it can drain back out through the gap!

Coats of varnish are being applied to the various compartments as I go.
Old Nov 08, 2005, 04:36 AM
Coimbra, Portugal
Joined Feb 2000
875 Posts
Great "progress report" and a very nice boat !

Joćo
joao is offline Find More Posts by joao
Old Nov 08, 2005, 06:05 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
That is really cool!!! Looks just like the 1:1 boat!!! I'm looking forward to following this build!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:56 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Thanks guys... I am enjoying building it! Yes I think this model could easily lead to the building of a 1:1, There cannot but many differences really.

Hitting some tricky bits now... I have fitted the two 1/16" ply side seat upright supports, these are cut overlong and need to be shortened somewhat but still left long enough to be sprung into position. I used the side seat tops as a guide to how much curve should be flexed into the uprights... all rather vague really. The main thing is to get the two sides symetrical. I used a short length of the 1/8 square strip glued to the hull bottom inside the side seat to fix the curve. Also I did not glue the 1/8 square along the top edge on these upright seat supports until afterwards so that they could be curved more easily.

There is then a problem with the side seat tops which I have found... more anon.
Old Nov 08, 2005, 11:07 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Side seats

On offering the side seat (deck) tops up to the hull I found that when I trimmed the outside curve to match the hull side I needed to remove around 1/8", this then leads to the seat being too narrow at the front and back and the seat upright support is exposed. No solution I can see other than make new seat tops.

This is not caused by the amount of curve you put in the side seat uprights because it is at either end where the problem is. The location of the 1/8 square strips on the face of the two bulkheads involved is wrong. Maybe it would have been possible to force the hull sides in to meet the seat top curve (approximately) and thus avoid trimming the seat tops but that would have stressed the hull significantly. Anyway.... that comes later.

Photos below are of the keel/daggerboard box and the thwart attached thereto. The inside faces of the box was given 4 good coats of varnish before gluing it closed.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:08 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Well I have made two new side decks to fit which was easy enough, on further thought if my hull is curved out a little more than the original design then that would account for me having to trim the side seats and hence them being too narrow front and rear... so maybe other builders will not see the problem I had.

The keel/daggerboard box is now epoxied into the hull. I concentrated on aligning the box with epoxy on the bottom of the box only initially. When that was set (I used 2 hour to give me enough working time) I then double checked the position of each end of the thwart and fixed them with thin cyano. The 1/8 sq. thwart supports add more gluing area later.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:11 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Construction has moved on pretty well over the weekend so I have more to report once I have the photos. Very wild wind here through SE Wisconsin today so no chance of sailing my Victoria I am afraid.

Graham

"Come and join us, Sheboygan Area Boat Modellers" http://www.mcallisterdesigns.com/sabm.htm
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:49 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Still looking great, Graham! I still can't see any difference between this and the 1:1 version! This is going to be a great boat! Looks like a fun build! I understand the Mirror Dingy was (is?) very popular in the UK...

Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:54 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
Maby this will help, I used 3 planks and curved them to fit the hull
for my Billings Dragon.
I'm injoying your build.
Don M.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:29 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Still looking great, Graham! I still can't see any difference between this and the 1:1 version! This is going to be a great boat! Looks like a fun build! I understand the Mirror Dingy was (is?) very popular in the UK...

Nor can I!
I think the sail numbers are approaching 80,000 now... that would rate as popular I believe! And pretty much worldwide... I think the USA missed a good one here, Canada had a Mirror association, maybe still does but I have misplaced their web site.

Thanks for the tip mpo11, I have cut them from 1/16th ply now... the full size has ply seats.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:40 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
WOW!!! I didn't know they were THAT popular!!!

Does ths kit include the signature reddish-orange sails?