SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2005, 08:06 PM
DIY user
Barcelona, Spain
Joined Jul 2004
506 Posts
Tomorrow, if things go ok, I'll try to convert my first CD rom.
I plan to cut the base and remove the ring magnet with the lathe - it doesn't look too difficult!.
This motor will power a microheli, so I think I won't need to do further spinning, unless I decide to go with a 1.5 or 2 stator motor. In that case, is there any alternative to turning and boring a round piece of steel top make the can?
JCaste is offline Find More Posts by JCaste
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2005, 09:32 PM
Gardena, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
736 Posts
This was my first go at a rocker arm for my Corona. I'm going to start a sleeker one this weekend.
RandyT is offline Find More Posts by RandyT
Old Feb 05, 2005, 03:17 PM
Joined Nov 2004
245 Posts
Well done, Randy.
I would imagine there are many places on a heli for custom machined parts.
Paul
ps2727 is offline Find More Posts by ps2727
Old Feb 06, 2005, 09:48 AM
Gardena, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
736 Posts
Thanks Paul. There are a lot of things I would like to make, but don't have the skill to do them. I have my second generation rocker arm sitting on the mill right now. It's amazing how much time passes when you start working on these things. It's probably more like I don't know what I'm doing and it just takes long.

Randy
RandyT is offline Find More Posts by RandyT
Old Feb 06, 2005, 10:04 AM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
This is probably old hat to you grizzled machinists out there but I can't tell you how tickled I am with this little process.

I need some head shims for an upcoming engine project and wanted to see if this idea would work. I cut up some aluminum and brass stock into little 5/8" squares and clamped them tightly between some 5/8" x 3/16" steel with a couple 1/4" U.N.F. bolts & nuts.

I stuck that conglomeration in the drill press vice and drilled a 5/16" hole through the whole thing. They looked OK when I removed them; ready for the next step.

I clamped them between some washers on a 5/16" U.N.F. bolt with an unthreaded section so they wouldn't get hung up in the threads; then tightened the heck out of it and chucked the threaded end in the lathe.
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Feb 06, 2005, 10:08 AM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
I then center-drilled the hex end of the bolt so it could be supported with the live center. It was a simple matter then to turn down the OD to the .435" I needed. Only mistake I made was the case hardened washer that ended up in the middle of the right stack of washers. The freshly sharpened HSS cutter wouldn't touch it! I just about burned up my Dremel and used 3 abrasive discs cutting that washer down to clear the bit! Next time I'll make sure to check and use cheapo soft washers before lining up and tightening the stack.

The stack of washers came off the bolt looking great. Final pic shows a gaggle of clean, accurate shims.
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Feb 06, 2005, 11:59 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,883 Posts
Dickybird...

I chuckled about your encounter with machining a case hardened piece of steel. Years ago when I was young and had my first metal lathe I scrounged some junk steel to practice on from an auto junkyard. One piece was case hardened but I didn't know it. When I chucked it in my lathe and tried the first cut I watched amazed as my high speed tool bit had its cutting tip worn away like it was butter. There wasn't a mark on the piece in the chuck. We learn as we go.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 06, 2005, 10:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
245 Posts
Dickybird,
I wouldn't have had any ideas on how to make those shims.....there is always something new to learn. Are you building an engine?

Got the ball turner done. It's fun to play with a new toy.
Paul
ps2727 is offline Find More Posts by ps2727
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
NY
Joined Apr 2004
49 Posts
I need new rotor for my project. Since I dont own lathe I'm looking for some1 or company willing to make one for me. Some companies I have called just dont want to bother with small order like this. Please help.
max
max911 is offline Find More Posts by max911
Old Oct 23, 2005, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,064 Posts
You guys might like to check out the "Motorboys" site. They are a source of engine info, plans, castings and a variety of projects. Neat stuff!

http://modelenginenews.org/index.html

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Nov 01, 2005, 05:49 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
I've been busy making endbells for my new mega motor replacements. This will motor will go on my Stryker and other planes. I've milled the endbell so the curved magnets will just drop in. The tolerance is so close that the curve part of the magnets actually fits perfectly. On the left you can see the makings of an edf 6pole motor while on the right a standard 12pole, I've placed magnets so you can see where they go and a flux ring. The milling was done on my CNC micro mill. http://www.embeddedtronics.com/micromill.html
For more info on the motor check out this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=mega+cdrom+

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Nov 02, 2005 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2005, 02:33 PM
Gotta have more cowbell!!
Clawson, MI USA
Joined Sep 2002
2,169 Posts
Okay Kin, I see how it is... you've been holding out on us, eh? I was not aware you had the capability of such machining. You WILL make me one... er, uhh, I mean... WILL you make me one? lol.
Very nice. I really like the built in magnet spacers, that is a great idea the only problem I see is that it makes that endbell a little less versatile for other motors, but that doesn't really matter if you can just make a new one with different spacing. Are you using 2.3, 3, or 3.2mm shafts?

Mike
MTwallet is offline Find More Posts by MTwallet
Old Nov 03, 2005, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTwallet
Okay Kin, I see how it is... you've been holding out on us, eh? I was not aware you had the capability of such machining. You WILL make me one... er, uhh, I mean... WILL you make me one? lol.
Very nice. I really like the built in magnet spacers, that is a great idea the only problem I see is that it makes that endbell a little less versatile for other motors, but that doesn't really matter if you can just make a new one with different spacing. Are you using 2.3, 3, or 3.2mm shafts?

Mike

Hi Mike,

They are the same diameter as the GWS shafts, but you can easily drill them out to a larger diameter. Let's just find something we can trade if you really need one. I don't plan to produce these since they take some time to make.

Kin

Old Nov 05, 2005, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfong
Here is a 3D block I made with our CNC milling machine. More pictures of it here.
http://www.embeddedtronics.com/3dcube.html
I didn't have any aluminum to waste so I made it from a block of cherry wood.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com

Kin,

That CNC cube that was milled on you micro mill...did you have to rotate the piece manually for each side cut? IE 6 rotations?

Thanks,
BRendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Nov 09, 2005, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Hi BRendin,

Yes, it was done on our micro mill. The file was found on CNCZONE. You do need to rotate it manually. It was easy. All done with a 1/4 inch endmill as I recall.

Kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron
Kin,

That CNC cube that was milled on you micro mill...did you have to rotate the piece manually for each side cut? IE 6 rotations?

Thanks,
BRendin