HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
Discussion
First plane, first flight, plane lost! anyone else?

I bought my first parkflier after experience with a quadcopter. Hobbyzone Champ.

Took it to the park....open space.....not too wind (I think) and it took off.......totally lost control......flew away in a private property...with closed gates and tall trees...lost for ever...at least for me....

Now I am where I should have started in the first place...in front of a flight simulator (clearview)...... Feel very doubtful to buy another plane......it might just get away again....

any suggestions or comments?
Limetwist is offline Find More Posts by Limetwist
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:11 AM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
191 Posts
Please don't let me dishearten you but......

LOL

Next time do a range check! It gives you a feel for how far away you can let the aircraft get before you may run into problems.

Welcome to RC, may this be your only loss! (touch balsa):-)
Benagen is offline Find More Posts by Benagen
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:35 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limetwist View Post

any suggestions or comments?
join the cue I lost a couple when I was still learning. All part of it when you are teaching yourself. I still lose them occasionally, but it's normally due to the ground coming up too fast

I know you didn't, but just don't do what some do and blame the radio when they have a fly away as a n00b......
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:40 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
My personal favourite was back in the dark ages (36mhz days) I would blame a "glitch" or someone else turning on their radio on the same frequency for when my planes made a sudden arrival with the ground when I was learning.

Best advice I can give is use a sim, I have Phoenix and use it almost daily even though I've been flying for over a decade. It makes learning orientation so much easier, if you have to "think" about what to do then you are already behind the curve and the plane is flying you instead of the other way around.

Also see if anybody else in your area can give you a hand to setup your plane. The only thing harder than learning to fly is learning to fly with a badly setup plane.

Most importantly, don't give up! It's an amazing hobby that will give your hundreds of hours of pleasure
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:47 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
Not blaming the radio.....when I said I lost control..I meant I had no idea how to bring it back...radio was working..I panicked....and twisted the controls every which way.....and could only see it getting further away in spirals...LOL

Yes...I am spending time on flight sim now......heading to Parramatta club on Sunday to see what others do......learn that way first...also I felt that the Champ was so light....hard to control...but probably it was just me!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 05:52 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,597 Posts
The lighter a plane (more specifically the wing loading) is the easier it gets thrown around by the wind. Also building/trees cause turbulence which makes it even harder. Calm days are your best friend whilst learning
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:11 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,161 Posts
That's exactly how I lost my first plane (that actually flew for more than 5 seconds before exploding into balsa dust) it got away on me, then I lost orientation so I thought I'd turn, then turn some more, then some more...... until it was a dot.....then I never saw it again!

flying isn't hard as such, it's the little things like balance throws and trim that catch people out. Get someone to set it up to fly nice and calm and you are 90% of the way there. The rest is simply orientation and stick time. That's where the sims come into their own.

Not flown a champ but if it's very lightly loaded perfectly calm air is very important when learning. Also remember the sticks aren't a switch, gentle movements over crazy bend the stick jabs is the go.

oh, best tip I was ever told on orientation. a plane flying away from you is easy to control roll of course, right stick means right roll, but coming toward you it is reversed, so if you think when the plane is coming toward you push the stick in the same direction to push that wing back up.......if that makes sense?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:14 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
Thanks for the comments from all....at least I know that I am not the only one!

Probably will get another trainer.......but is it better with a parkflier that is very light or a larger one to fly in a RC field? as a first plane.....
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:21 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,161 Posts
depends on how much wind you want to fly in. light weight (or more accurately the lighter the loading on the wings) the more they get thrown around in the wind....which sucks when you want easy flying. And the more draggy the airframe the worse that is. But when it's calm, they fly nice and slow, which is very good.

Go out to the club, watch what the other guys are flying and you'll find something suitable for the field and conditions. And expect that whilst you may never lose one over the horizon again, you will crash them into oblivion sooner or later!

just googled that plane you lost, and yeah it's tiny, no wonder you lost it! I'd classify that as almost an indoor flyer, at the least, a zero breeze type outdoor plane. anything more than 2 knots would be a pain to fly that and have fun by looking at it's size
Old Sep 25, 2014, 06:55 AM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
I flew fixed wing for over 25 years and had my share of fly-aways and PFUs. I have only recently come back to RC modelling after a break of nearly 20years, this time flying quads.
If I may give some advice regarding losing orientation, when flying away from yourself the transmitter is in the correct orientation (right stick movement, model goes right, etc) but when model is flying towards you, everything is reversed.
A very simple tip is to point the transmitter antenna in the direction of flight, so if the model is going right, point the antenna to the right, when you turn and come back (left) turn the transmitter to left. What this does is to coordinate your eye-brain-fingers to work in the correct direction. Very simple but it works every time.

Cheers, Jet.
Jet Jackson is offline Find More Posts by Jet Jackson
Old Sep 25, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
Thank you for the tips Gouch and Jet, I'll go to the field and learn from others! :-)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:12 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,889 Posts
Get a Bixler with landing gear or a AXN Clouds Fly and learn on either of those. They both handle the wind well, are cheap and fly really well.

The Bixler 2 has a landing gear set you can buy for it but the AXN doesn't. If you build either of them pretty much stock standard they will take off from mowed grass on their bellies pretty easily.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:27 AM
Joined Sep 2014
7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Teamsherman....it looks like a good plane to learn on...will check it out...and the price is good too...seems easy to repair too :-)
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:45 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Join a club
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Sep 26, 2014, 08:01 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
361 Posts
Yep. What he said.