SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2014
15 Posts
Help!
Super cub throttle shut off?

hey everyone, recently went out flying my super cub, first battery flew awesome, plugged in my 2nd bat, did flight check, had full control movement, went to hand launch, put the throttle to full and it shut down. after that I had no control movement whatsoever. I turned my transmitter off, then on again. once again I had controls, tested the throttle, 1/2, and 3/4 throttle will run and sustain, but once I max my throttle the whole thing just shuts down. anyone know why? or how to fix this ???
CGriffo is offline Find More Posts by CGriffo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:25 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
824 Posts
It sounds to me like your second battery wasn't fully charged. The Chargers that come with the Super Cub are not the best. There are quite a few inexpensive on the market that will do what is needed to charge your batteries. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:33 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,587 Posts
Yep, undercharged battery making the esc go into low voltage cutoff when a full load is applied.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:54 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
The problem with the LVC diagnosis is the OP mentions a loss of control not only power to the motor.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:03 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,748 Posts
As posted above, it does sound like the battery is either not charged or is faulty. Usually this would only cause the power to cut and you would retain control of the servos but if the battery is a 1s or 2s LiPo or a NiCd/NiMh then the voltage can go so low that the supply of power for the receiver also fails.

So what battery are you using and did you check it was fully charged and is it in good condition?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joined Jul 2014
15 Posts
im using the venom 1300, I tried multiple batteries I thought were all charged up? weird, ill try again soon, local hobby shop told me to trim my motor down. we'll see
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,145 Posts
trim your motor down?
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:52 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGriffo View Post
im using the venom 1300, I tried multiple batteries I thought were all charged up? weird, ill try again soon, local hobby shop told me to trim my motor down. we'll see
How many cell battery, 'Venom 1300' only tells what mAh it is?
It could be that your charger is kaput and so not fully charging all of your batteries, but that's easy to confirm my checking voltage with a cell checker or multimeter.

This sounds all the way like either a old/tired battery or a battery that's not charged. The only odd thing is that you say that the control surfaces did not respond. Normally they would even if the motor stopped due to low voltage cut-out, but it's possible that if the battery is 2s (7.4v) the voltage would have gone low enough to take out the power to the radio as well as the motor.

Your model shop is well and truly clueless.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:44 AM
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jul 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
I had the same problem with mine. Adjust the throttle down a few clicks and it will not shut off anymore.
chrispkaiser is offline Find More Posts by chrispkaiser
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:54 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispkaiser View Post
I had the same problem with mine. Adjust the throttle down a few clicks and it will not shut off anymore.
That's not solving the real problem, it's just masking it by avoiding going to full throttle.

An analogy.. You car develops a problem where it overheats and stops whenever you drive over 50mph. Your dealer 'solves' the problem by telling you not to exceed 50mph... Would you be happy
Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
hey everyone, recently went out flying my super cub, first battery flew awesome, plugged in my 2nd bat, did flight check, had full control movement, went to hand launch, put the throttle to full and it shut down. after that I had no control movement whatsoever. I turned my transmitter off, then on again. once again I had controls, tested the throttle, 1/2, and 3/4 throttle will run and sustain, but once I max my throttle the whole thing just shuts down. anyone know why? or how to fix this ???
Adjust the throttle trim down.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2014
15 Posts
Problem solved, my prop had been weakened after a nose over, it was off balance and wasn't letting the prop reach full rpm then causing the shut down, after a new prop it ran perfect,
Old Aug 29, 2014, 07:16 AM
Joined Jul 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
That's not solving the real problem, it's just masking it by avoiding going to full throttle.

An analogy.. You car develops a problem where it overheats and stops whenever you drive over 50mph. Your dealer 'solves' the problem by telling you not to exceed 50mph... Would you be happy
It didn't affect the power at all. It made it quit powering off at full throttle. It worked on mine and I was able to run it at full throttle instead of it shutting off before max power. rollseyes GFY
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:23 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,145 Posts
Quote:
Problem solved, my prop had been weakened after a nose over, it was off balance and wasn't letting the prop reach full rpm then causing the shut down, after a new prop it ran perfect,
i'm assuming then it was drawing more amps resulting in the motor shutting off at higher throttle levels?

Quote:
It didn't affect the power at all. It made it quit powering off at full throttle. It worked on mine and I was able to run it at full throttle instead of it shutting off before max power. rollseyes GFY
isn't that problematic for accidental shutoffs? i read here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456348 (and elsewhere was told by jasmine) that you should rebind every time you change throttle trim.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:56 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,748 Posts
Quote:
Sorry but this makes no logical sense. You say that reducing throttle still allowed you to get full power But at the same time full power causes the motor to shut down

Anyway, FWIW i was right in that reducing throttle would only be masking the true problem in the OP's case... In the OP's case the true problem was a damaged and out of balance prop. I'd suggest you would also be far better finding out what the real problem is rather than just running at reduced throttle.