HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2014
281 Posts
New Product
Official Announcement: Freewing F-5N Tiger II 80mm Jet

Hi pilots, we'd like to announce the latest addition to Freewing's 80mm Jet Series. We have taken a lot of the recommendations to heart, and the latest model is...

F-5N Tiger II

I have put about 80 flights on the prototype so far, and we are working with Freewing to fine tune the release version, which is very close. The best news I can share at this point is that while we have been working for a few months on this project, luckily photos were not leaked early, so this time we can share that production is tentatively projected for the October timeframe. No more waiting many months between announcements and releases this time.

Here are a few teaser photos. Note, this is the PROTOTYPE, the paint is obviously hand painted and is NOT indicative of the final production version. Now you guys know why we didn't spec a desert camo Mirage... I thought the desert camo Tiger had more history behind it. We are modeling an aircraft which still flies in the Aggressor squadron out of Florida. The CAG's aircraft, in fact. The desert camo makes the Tiger very visible.

Company: Freewing
Model: F-5N Tiger II
Class: 80mm Jet
Material: EPO
Length: 1210mm
Retracts: Yes
Struts: Aluminum, articulated
Flaps: Yes
Trunions: Metal on mains
EDF: 80mm 12 blade
Motor : 1750kv outrunner (same as Freewing's other 80mm jets)
ESC: 80A w/ EC5 Connector
Features: Removable wings and tail (screw posts), carbon fiber spar, molded internal ducting, scale sized pilot, spring-loaded nose gear door, functioning wing-tip rails for Aggressor loadout.
Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Aug 25, 2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added more photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:51 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,412 Posts
This looks great!

Any more info WS and length?
anlucas is online now Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:57 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,678 Posts
I'm all in !

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2014
281 Posts
Anlucas, all of Freewing's 80mm jets are being standardized to the same 1210mm. The wingspan shifts accordingly.

As you can see, the Mirage and F-5 share similar dimensions. In fact, they are nearly the same scale (45 feet vs 45 feet in real life, respectively).

The F-5 is faster than the Intruder and Sabre, and about on par with the Mirage in terms of straight line speed. The flaps on the F-5 help it slow down very nicely for landing. Freewing has worked hard to nail the scale lines of the F-5, including the narrow waisted fuselage shape. The model does have a cheater, but I have been flying with it covered, for additional speed. The airfoil allows a good balance between speed and lift; the wings are only as thick as they needed to be to contain the retracts. At many angles, I think Freewing has done the F-5 Tiger II justice.

We felt strongly that the color scheme should be military and not sport, as has been seen in the past in foam. The squadron I selected is an "Aggressor" squadron which operates in the US today. While the F-5 has operated in many countries in many schemes, we believed that this model deserved a livery from its home country, in the same way that we modeled the Mirage after a French squadron which is still active.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:10 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,439 Posts
that looks pretty slick
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:12 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,439 Posts
this is about the same size as my dads F20 kit
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:13 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,553 Posts
Alpha, I started a thread on Freewings Super Scorpion already too. Just a FYI. LOL

Loving this F5!
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2014
281 Posts
You're right, CorsairNut, the two models are about the same in length and wingspan. Your blue scheme should stand alone in my opinion, hence we asked Freewing to model the desert camo. I've seen your ballistic F-20, I still cannot understand how you orient that tiny missile moving as fast as that thing does, especially its unlimited vertical. Respect!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:23 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Looks good, Alpha. My wife happened to be walking by when I was checking the photos, stopped and said it looks really good. That's a compliment for sure.

Now how about some nav and landing lights?
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:24 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2,803 Posts
Alpha....glad to see you back ......I see you've been a busy little bee.... ...A productive little bee....keep up the good work...what's next on the agenda...F-15.....???
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:35 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
608 Posts
I am in!!!
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,553 Posts
One thing I would love Freewing to do is produce a different a pilot figure. They tend to use one's that look like a bobble-head, and they always have a helmet and mic., but never a cool oxygen mask and realism. This is the same pilot as in the A-10 and man that guy is horrible. LOL. The pilot used in the Mirage sitting next to it is SO much better. Alpha, did they use the A-10 pilot in this F5 just for prototype aspects, or is that the pilot we'll see in the production model?
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2013
2,803 Posts
Hey T-buddy...you mean like this guy...he's from the Freewing F-86..
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2014
281 Posts
We have asked Freewing to focus on scale-sized pilots for their jets from now on. The Mirage prototype originally arrived with the A-10's bobblehead, and I specified the correct size pilot, which as you can see they did and it looks 100% better. Freewing is very responsive to our feedback for items like this.

Regarding the F-5, notice that the prototype had incorrect wing-tip rails, and did not have the navigation blisters aft of the intake, or the electronics blisters beneath the guns. But now on the teaser photo from the Shanghai Model Expo this week, those details have since been added (in addition to the nose gear door which I spec'd).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:46 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,588 Posts
Ther pilot looks like a telemarketer with a helmet!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake