HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:38 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
update and pics.........
Been sidetracked by another project that doesn't require sanding.

Top 6mm sheeting has been applied............... shaved and sanded.
Bottom 6mm sheeting applied ................... shaved and sanded.
Ailerons have been cut out................. shaved and sanded.
Fuse and wing ..................................... filled and sanded.

Jeeez........ I hate sanding
Why would you ever choose to be a plasterer?
ravencsr is offline Find More Posts by ravencsr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:41 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
Started the tail, glued parts together , more sanding to do

starting to look like something now.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:47 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
test fitted a test servo for the wing and just temporarily set it in with hot glue.
Must admit, I'm not really fond of this setup. Just seems like trouble having constant strain on the servo trying to push down and up with the snake in that position(if you get what I mean). Time will tell.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:47 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
I've done all the BC models except the spitfire, and have found that braided cable works better than the plastic snakes- especially in the heat of summer when the plastic gets softer- control surfaces may need frequent re-trimming. Cable is also much less "bindy" than the plastic snakes.

The typical aileron deflection is around 6mm, so there should not be too much pushing down/up of the snake. You could also consider using two servos- one for each aileron, but it may require trimming off the servo mounting tabs to make them fit (depending on the size of servo you are using).

PS: One of my current projects is an enlarged version of the BC Bearcat. I'll probably go for veneered or sheeted foam wings though.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:06 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
thanks wizard, normally I put separate servos in, just thought I may try it original for a change. Will keep an eye on it in the summer, thanks.

Any special flight characteristics that you can remember form your Bearcat?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:01 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Mate, sorry- I did this one around 2003, so can't recall specific details about flying characteristics, but it was a fairly docile model to fly with a benign stall. This one, as well as the Sea Fury, were the ones I enjoyed most.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:24 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
lets hope history repeats!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:29 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
306 Posts
btw, how was the Blenheim ? got that and the FW190 to do yet.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:57 AM
Joined Sep 2005
61 Posts
Hey there ravencsr. Just found this thread. I have the Sea Fury and the Bearcat in the shed as well. I actually looked through the Bearcat kit a few weeks back and bumped it up the order a few places. So finding this build log of yours was very timely. Keep going because I have very much enjoyed reading your work to this point.
I will be doing a foam wing on my F8F and using a servo in each wing (as I always do) mainly so that I can dial in more up than down on each aileron. I also use 2 servos to avoid any slop in the system. The only time I ever went with the central servo was on an old Dynaflite Fun Scale Spitfire and I swore that I would never use snakes for the ailerons ever again.
Looking forward to seeing your next post.
OzSloper is online now Find More Posts by OzSloper