HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:06 AM
Scratch builder
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Build Log
The Fury Flyer- 54" TRUE AIRFOIL FLYING WING(Plans and 35" version!)

After Crashing my Easy Drone I decided I would design and build a new platform for Fpv flying. I started with a quick search for Dollar tree Foamboard flying wings and results weren't pleasing. Because of this I had to design my plane off of pictures and few dimensions. I saw a wing similar to mine on here that I based my design off of.

Dimensions
Wingspan-54"
Root Chord-12"
Tip Chord-6"
Sweep-14"
Blunt Nose Width-12"
Ailerons-2"
Cg:6.5" from leading edge
Here is a link to all the dimensions and a picture
http://j.mp/11xuPyx

Electronics
Motor-EMP 3536 1400kv
Esc-60amp
Battery- Two 2650 Turnigy Nanotech
Servos-Parkzone DSC130M (I would recommend stronger ones)
Prop-9x7.5

The plane a has a armin wing airfoil. At the root, the former is 1.5" tall and at the tip it is .75" tall. Here is a picture of the formers and wooden/carbon rods in this plane.

The plane currently is carrying two 2650 3s lipos and a go pro. And it still is not very heavy at all!! The 3s lipos and the 3536 motor push it around very nicely. I'm sure i could put two 3500's or with a 4s lipo I could get two 5000mah packs in there! The go pro inst needed but for my case, I plan on getting aerial video. I don't have a scale so I couldn't tell you how heavy it is but it is not very heavy at all! It is actually a challenge sometimes to land it because it just wants to keep on gliding. With the two 2650mah lipos in parallel I am expecting to get around 20-25 min run times.

Although the wingtips may look small they do their job very well. they are 4.5 inches tall and then covered in Black strapping tape for extra rigidity. On the far right wingtip I have mounted my receiver and satilite receiver as shown bellow.

I covered the whole entire plane is packing tape. I did this because the paper is very brittle and if it gets wet its starts to peel. Here are some more pictures!

Fury Flyer - 54" Flying Wing! (4 min 58 sec)
Bixler13 is offline Find More Posts by Bixler13
Last edited by Bixler13; May 04, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:23 AM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
Nice looking wing!
I'd like to scale it down for a 28 motor and smaller bats...
How is the glide???
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:31 AM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
It glides very well! A whole lot better than I expected! Especially considering I have a GoPro and two lipos in there!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:11 PM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
I got footage of the plane today and I will upload the video tommorow
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:44 PM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
I just added the video in the first post! Check it out guys!!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, VA, Culpeper
Joined Dec 2012
234 Posts
good editing! That's a great setup you have there! nice job.
live2rc is offline Find More Posts by live2rc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:19 AM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
I like the vid, Bix !

I also think the blunt center section might be superior to a pointed nose, just for impact damage, if nothing else. :-) the airfoil shape there probably provides better lift for the gopro...

With your center section, you are very close to a blended body wing. I like them a lot! :-)

Still, lotsa battery there... I'll try to scale it down for an 808 and tiny motor on 2s... cheapo!
rc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:11 PM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
This plane fly's so well i'm also looking to scale it down to a 30 inch wingspan and put a really high kv motor on it for some SUPER fast flying... Might build one this weekend...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2010
1,030 Posts
Bixler that is a beauty. i have been flying a similar that i scratch made a month ago. i can give you details and you pick and choose what you might want to use. here is a picture.
postalflyer72 is offline Find More Posts by postalflyer72
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:40 PM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Plans are now added! Look in the first post!
Thank you "potshot" for the plans!
Plans fixed as of 2/7/2013
When I designed the plans for this plane I forgot to take in account for the longer dimension needed for the top part of the airfoil. To fix this problem add about an inch to 2 inches to the to airfoil part of the wing and then trim it too the size needed to reach the trailing edge when folded over.

Here is an image showing what I mean. Make the red lines with the arrow pointing to them about and inch to 2 inches longer. Than trim back to size.

For those of you that have no idea what you are looking at when you are looking at the plans here is a picture. Don''t forget to cut out a 12X12 square to act as the middle section. This is my first time making plans so let me know if you have any questions.
Last edited by Bixler13; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, VA, New Market
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Nice build!

Here is my Dollar Tree Flying wing (very similar in design)
Flying Wing: Ax-1 (2 min 10 sec)

Third flight of the Ax-1 (1 min 58 sec)
bobalexander is online now Find More Posts by bobalexander
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:01 PM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Wow! That's a nice plane you have there! Does it have dihedral or is that just the wing flex? And are you flying with a gopro onboard? If not what camera is that? And what about the one mounted on your head?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:56 PM
United States, VA, New Market
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I started off with about 5 degrees of dihedral per wing and no spar. The wing sections seperated from the fuselage on the second flight! Next version included a carbon fiber arrow shaft spar and slightly less dihedral.
I added slight dihedral as I thought it might cut down on the yawing motion so many flying wings seem to exhibit. Something seems right as I haven't experienced it! My brother found out that it doesn't roll well though (he tried a barrel roll on his first attempt at flying it).

I am using a GoPro Hero3 - same camera just different flights. I used the GoPro head band mount (in case there was any doubt that I am a geek to anyone who sees me with my plane, the headband camera dispels it).

I really like you're design and will definitely be borrowing some of you're techniques!
bobalexander is online now Find More Posts by bobalexander
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:21 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
I noticed your dihedral right away, Bob... so 5d is too much?
I thing Bix might have a better form with the covered center section that might even produce lift.

What are the specs on your AX-1?
I'll need to build with a much smaller motor and bat. ...but just an 808 cam.
rc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:38 PM
Scratch builder
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
That wing you have there sure does carry that go pro pretty well considering how small of a wing area you have! What size battery do you have and what flight times do you get?