SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,057 Posts
Discussion
Mag removal on a 2211

A few months back I wanted to fit a 4 mag setup to my HK2211. Needing to remove, in order to reposition, the magnets.
I soaked the bell in industrial Laquer thinners for 2 days.
Only to melt off the blue paint on the chrome bell.
No effect on the glue.
Put the thing away as a failed experiment..
Retrieved it yesterday, noting that the plating on the wee mag segments has flaked off.
Astounding..seems the glue used is stronger/better than the plating.
Still have the problem of removing the (now messed) mag segments.

Short of a cold chisel.. any non ruining the bell methods come to mind?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,474 Posts
The glue is probably epoxy. If so, you can remove the mags by heating the bell until the glue begins to char or maybe even catch fire. Do this outside and don't breath the fumes, they are toxic. The bell will survive this, but the magnets might not.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I'd use this and you can save the magnets http://www.fgci.com/bp_viewproduct.a...oldItem=129212
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
http://www.fgci.com/default.aspx They have all sorts of neat stuff.
Last edited by zeroback; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,057 Posts
Looked in there .. there is an Epoxy solvent ?
Dunno If that works on cured crap though.
Will try the heat soak method and if that Fails.. I will attack the rotted magnets Dentist style.. with rotary Diamond burrs.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
T-12 dissolves most cured commercial epoxy. Higher quality epoxy takes longer. The China stuff usually comes loose in a couple of hours. It doesn't soften the industrial water based epoxy's but it is very unlikely that expensive epoxy like that would be found in a budget or top notch motor.
Although when stuff is really stuck I start with black powder and if that doesn't work I move right to the C-4
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:22 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,990 Posts
This is about as aggressive a paint remover as you can find easily, it will work on epoxy. I got a can of it at a local auto parts store.

Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover - QAR343

Just the "bite" in my nose of the odor when I uncapped it told me that it was going to work much better than the more benign stuff I had already tried. I quickly moved to an outside workplace.

I was working on getting epoxy saturated windings off of a stator motor and immersed it in the stripper in a small glass jar. In 12-15 hours the expoxy was soft and giving up. I rinsed it off in water (as outlined on the can), blew the water off, and gave it another overnight soak in some fresh stripped.

At that point the epoxy was easily displaced and it and the windings was easily removed. the stator coating (the glossy green powder coat stuff) was also much like a loose fitting tee shirt and was also easily removed. It had also seeped into the laminations and I as soon as I started cleaning the stripper off I had a do it yourself stator kit. You see it in the photo, that is my home made tool for aligning the laminations by the notch in them.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
The plastic welder is working well for removing gooped up windings.