HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,064 Posts
Discussion
2013 TF FliteStreak ARF

Since FliteStreaks came up on the Smoothie thread, (my fault) I tried to bump the old FS thread but could not. It's a good one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330697

We have 4 TF ARF Streaks flying in our group.

Haven't had problems with the lead outs, but there is a convenient built in hatch to keep an eye on them.

No one is using the stock tank.

The fuse is pretty fragile, but my FB has managed to keep repairing his after numerous figure 9's! I recommend, before assembly, that you trace the fuse outline on a piece of med. 1/2" balsa and put it in storage.

Destroyed mine when the engine quit straight overhead. The new fuse is an inch longer in the nose and two more in the tail. Flies about the same but now it has room for a larger tank.

The OS 25 FP/LA is really an ideal engine for this plane.

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Does the OS .25 break?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Does the OS .25 break?
Like in 2/4? Yes it does. Plus it doesn't shake the plane apart like my old Fox!

Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
How would a nice OS 35 S work on a stretched fuselage FS? Are those schnurle ported? How much do they weigh?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
862 Posts
Quote:
How would a nice OS 35 S work on a stretched fuselage FS? Are those schnurle ported? How much do they weigh?
The Max-S 35 weighed exactly 7 ounces, without its clamp-on muffler, and runs nicely lying on its side. They predated Schneurle porting, being for the most part clones of the Fox 35 stunt, but with higher quality, save for the soft con rods they used. The original design Streak had a six inch nose, and used Fox's earliest, 7 1/2 ounce Combat Specials (plain bearing cross flow ported iron piston and steel cylinder standard 1950s tech).

As a clone of the stunt 35, the Max S was also an iron piston, steel cylinder cross-flow ported engine, just made better than a Fox stunt was. If you can get a good tank working, they work nicely on any Streak, be it a Brodak version of the Aldrich FS, a TF kit, or an ARF with the fuselage replaced,

The standard length nose on a Streak was five inches, not really enough for a proper tank to run a 29 or 35 with, and George used his own home-made Chicken Hopper on his, before and after he shortened the noses (because of the severe vibration from those Fox combat special engines). Gil Henry accepted George's idea to produce a short, fat tank for planes such as Streaks and the Goldberg Shoestring, but not as a 'Hopper.

Those Veco "profile" tanks don't work correctly for a Fox stunt or for OS's Max S 35, unless you run the engines in two cycle, and not try for a 4-2-4 breaking run. That's why a longer nose is good with such engines -- more room for a usable fuel tank.

Quote:
Does the OS .25 break?
Neither of the two LA 25s that I have used seemed amenable to running a classic 4-2-4 with the tanks I tried with them (my own experience with classic engine operation on profiles has been that the right tanks are much more critical to satisfactory results.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:57 PM.