HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:23 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
The assembly is not complicated as compared to some others I have seen........ plan things and take your time. There are always small things here and there which you will need to do the way you like it in almost every build. The plane design is so simple that even if you make minor mistakes in the assembly, it will still fly. Not doing mistakes and improving things will make it a great flying plane.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:22 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2012
41 Posts
SalamSyed, did you use the same number of pin hinges or did you add a few extra? did you place them beside the CA hinges or just create your own location for them. I have never used pin hinges before, used the regular style hinges, is there a size type/number for the pin hinges. I guess I will tear it all down and do this before I maiden it. I am oversized on the engine with the OS GT33 for sure.
what a bummer.
T
74ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74ranch
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:05 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74ranch View Post
SalamSyed, did you use the same number of pin hinges or did you add a few extra? did you place them beside the CA hinges or just create your own location for them. I have never used pin hinges before, used the regular style hinges, is there a size type/number for the pin hinges. I guess I will tear it all down and do this before I maiden it. I am oversized on the engine with the OS GT33 for sure.
what a bummer.
T
I have only replaced the aileron hinges and that is after a few flights before I cut all the CA hinges to put pin hinges. Because of the CA already so I moved the pin hinges away from the CA slots but kept the same numbers. I think they have 6 hinges on each aileron and they are plenty if they are done right.

This is what I have used for the ailerons:

Looks these are the one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET57&P=6

I had already decided that I will also replace the elevator and rudder and now for sure after the elevator CA hinges failed last weekend so that I will do when I get time. Of course the pin hinges in elevator and rudder will be smaller since there is not enough wood and to hold bigger hinges.

I am thinking of use something like these but will see when I get to the shop.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET53&P=6

Pin hinges could be a pain if not done right so do watch some youtube videos and you will know the correct way to put them in.

On another note, I would still suggest to maiden your plane and continue to fly it with the stock CA hinges. They are not going to tear apart first flight or all of a sudden all of them will quit. You will know when they are about to go so keep an eye on them.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:22 PM
SBP
United States, PA, Waynesboro
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
I have the 3/16 hinges for the ailerons and 1/8 ordered for the elevator and rudder. Robart also has a drill jig to help with installation for about $6 depending where you buy it. Some help here
Installing Robart Pin Hinges Part 1 (8 min 18 sec)
There are 2 other parts to this series on hinge instalation that are on You Tube Anyone having any problems with control horns ? Before I install what is provided, should I look for something better ?
SBP is offline Find More Posts by SBP
Last edited by SBP; Sep 13, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
I put one of the new AGM 30cc engines in the Pilot. It's identical to a DLE 30 and has the same power. Way more power than this plane needs. I went with flaperons instead of doing the flaps but now that I've flown it I think I'll do the flaps too. This is a really fun plane. We're going to the field tomorrow , it will be the first time my Grandson flies it Thanks to everyone for opinions and suggestions to get this plane in the air.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Glad to know about the maiden. Did the pin hinges work out well?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
The pin hinges worked fine. I bought the drill jig to put them in and that helped. A little chap stick to keep the epoxy out of the hinges worked well too. I'm really impressed with the AGM engine . Starts easy and now that I have a few hours on it it idles at about 1700 rpm. I haven't leaned the top end out yet as it's still breaking in. Not that it needs more top end . It's identical to a DLE 30 so it's got plenty of power. I need about 10 ft of runway to takeoff.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:01 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Nice!

These engines make it way overpowered but nice. Enjoy it.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:05 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
The new Pilot trainers are available. One of the guys at our club got his assembled and flew it yesterday. Notice the change in the front.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:03 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
The new Pilot trainers are available. One of the guys at our club got his assembled and flew it yesterday. Notice the change in the front.
Any other change in accessories, hinges etc?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:30 AM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
No changes to the hinges. They still are the ca hinges. Bill used the Robart pin hinges on the ailerons and the flat Dubro pin hinges on the rudder and elevator. He did the flaps too. He programed crow , which being new to this hobby, I don't quite understand how to do , but it really slows the plane down and makes this floater easier to get on the ground. Everyone who sees these fly wants one so there was one , then two and more to come.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
148 Posts
I ordered one Wednesday and will be putting my DLE-20 on it. Hope that is enough to hover it. Since the slots are already cut, I probably will use the flat Dubro hinges all around.

Chuck
019019cjl is offline Find More Posts by 019019cjl
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:56 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
148 Posts
I'm reconsidering my engine choice. Sell the DLE-20 and buy a DLE30. What size prop would be best.

Chuck
019019cjl is offline Find More Posts by 019019cjl
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
I've got an 18x8 on my AGM 30cc . I don't know what more you would need. It's way overpowered. My Pilot will fly on way less than half throttle. Full throttle , it will go vertical out of sight if you want to.
Last edited by SBP; Oct 21, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:59 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
you should always tune a gasoline engine for optimal performance. Gasoline is a lot difference than glow
. A gasoline engine should never be ran rich. It will carbon up the ring and foul the sparkplug.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50