HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:27 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Spare parts for the Walrus

I've posted these information to the HK discussion page, but it doesn't hurt to copy it here:
Customer service suggested me the following replacements:
TGS10x6F for the prop and 45FPSPIN for the spinner.

I've found out (and confirmed since then by manual programming, no card yet), that the product id of the ESC is: F-20A
_MDE_ is offline Find More Posts by _MDE_
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:19 AM
Italy, Toscana, Orbetello
Joined Mar 2012
328 Posts
Thanks MDE,
10X6 looks a bit too big prop, but if it's the suggested one, it must be good.
I'm using a carbon prop 9.5X5 and it looks good, but I'm waiting to receive my watt meter to check it.
Spinner 45FPSPIN would be good, if HK wouldn't have it in backorder since so long time...
I've bought it in another shop in UK.
My new problem is motor: yesterday I've lost the shaft and the case; I was checking the plane before flying, I gave full throttle and the prop teared off, with motor shaft and case.
After few meters of lone flight, prop beated a tree and kicked out the shaft.
I've found the prop, but I haven't been able to find motor's case and shaft in the grass.
Maybe, the shaft lock seeger ring was damaged.
I found Turnigy SK3 Aerodrive 2830 - 1.130 Kv on HK site and it looks good for Walrus, but I'm not sure 100%.
For this reason, I'd like to have a spare part list for Walrus, as it is for many other planes.
Ricky971 is online now Find More Posts by Ricky971
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:13 PM
Portugal
Joined Feb 2011
67 Posts
Maiden flight of Walrus

This glider is really nice for is value. The stock power is enough for all basic stunts. The flaps helps a lot for land in small areas. I also made a video of the flight, hope you like

Walrus Glider from HobbyKing (2 min 37 sec)

Happy landings,
G.Santos
gsantos_pt is offline Find More Posts by gsantos_pt
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:00 PM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,105 Posts
I have used the 9.5x5 CF folding prop from HK, just ran a Watt meter over it, peak amps 17A and it drew 180Watts, its a little tight in the stock spinner but with a little work will be fine as a replacement.
Looks the part as well
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:01 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
I have seen many fly this like a conventional plane ,but how about catching a thermal what are its characterisics then ?,
it looks good to me I have examined one closely and would only add a bit of carbon fibre flats strips along the inside of the cockpit sides right up and attaching to the motor mount , I havent looked closely at the motor used but if its like many others I would probably use something else that would swing a 10" to 12" folder at slower revs. I havent checked the folder hub diameter to see if any of the turbo vented HK folder hubs could be used, personally I dont like plastic folder hubs I have had them throw blades in the past, the german ones are an exception but the choice of plastics used in a lot of chinese products are suspect.imho.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:47 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I have seen many fly this like a conventional plane ,but how about catching a thermal what are its characterisics then ?,
it looks good to me I have examined one closely and would only add a bit of carbon fibre flats strips along the inside of the cockpit sides right up and attaching to the motor mount , I havent looked closely at the motor used but if its like many others I would probably use something else that would swing a 10" to 12" folder at slower revs. I havent checked the folder hub diameter to see if any of the turbo vented HK folder hubs could be used, personally I dont like plastic folder hubs I have had them throw blades in the past, the german ones are an exception but the choice of plastics used in a lot of chinese products are suspect.imho.
I haven't had the chance to take it to somewhere with large enough thermals but I tried to thermal it in quarter of a knot lift (guess) at my park and it did not lose any height. The thermaling radius is around 10m (5m with full flaps).

I should have strenghtened the cockpit as you said as it has buckled from heavy landings (not crashes).

The new ESC still gets hot when ran as a 7 channel glider but at least the spinner is attached properly (and is reasonably strong).
molond is offline Find More Posts by molond
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:14 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molond View Post
IThe new ESC still gets hot when ran as a 7 channel glider but at least the spinner is attached properly (and is reasonably strong).
If you feel the back of the ESC after loading it up with servo's you can locate the regulator chips they will be the hot spots and with a hobby knife cut away the heat shrink to expose the chips and glue rails along the sides to allow some air to keep the chips cool , I have in the past glued (heatsink adhesive) a long copper foil to those chips and cut a slot so that the foil can be attached to the outside of the fuselage. most ESC regulator chips are rated at 3 amps into a (theoretical)infinite heatsink, I have cut open a few that claimed to be 5 amp and checking the spec sheet only to find they were 3 amp.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:26 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
setting the brake

Hi All,

Love my Walrus. However I am having problems with setting the brake on the ESC. Initially it was set. Somewhere along the line it seems to have changed its mind and now the prop windmills so I need to know how to set the brake back on.

My esc is unlabelled, covered in black heat shrink and has no cooling fins. If anyone can tell me how to set the brake I would be appreciate it.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
328 Posts
@MikeRobey42:
Switch on the radio tx.
Set throttle on the radio to maximum.
Connect the battery to the ESC; You'll ear a series of five "BEEP", then set throttle to minimum.
Disconnect battery from ESC.
Now You ESC has the brake on.
If You want to set it off, do the same again.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:24 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
@MikeRobey42:
Switch on the radio tx.
Connect the battery to the ESC; You'll ear a series of five "BEEP", then set throttle to minimum.
Much obliged. That did the trick. Thanks.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRobey42 View Post
Much obliged. That did the trick. Thanks.
You're welcome!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:53 AM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Mirandola
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRobey42 View Post
Hi All,

Love my Walrus. However I am having problems with setting the brake on the ESC. Initially it was set. Somewhere along the line it seems to have changed its mind and now the prop windmills so I need to know how to set the brake back on.

My esc is unlabelled, covered in black heat shrink and has no cooling fins. If anyone can tell me how to set the brake I would be appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky971 View Post
@MikeRobey42:
Switch on the radio tx.
hello to all,
from the initial bind I got the brake on simply by reducing few points the throttle trim.
ciao.
cillyjr is online now Find More Posts by cillyjr
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
328 Posts
Thanks Cillyjr,
I'll try it!
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:46 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2008
35 Posts
Just a heads up...replacement props are in stock!
BrookR1 is offline Find More Posts by BrookR1
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:13 AM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Winnipeg, MB CANADA
Joined Feb 2000
201 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered a replacment, here is the link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...inner_Set.html
kenair is offline Find More Posts by kenair