HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
946 Posts
Motor Shaft Source

Anyone who has had a less than perfect landing with any of these 800mm planes, knows one of the weak points is the prop shaft. They tend to bend pretty easily, and trying to straighten them out yields mixed results. I Goggled a bit, and took a chance on some replacements that are "close". All the specs listed looked about right, but they were considerably longer than either the Long Shaft or Short Shaft FMS motors.

I pulled the motor out of my Corsair, and gave it a go. I was happy to find that the flat spot is in the right place, and the threads start where they should. I took a Dremel tool to the shaft after I installed it, and cut away the extra length. I put a nut on the threads first, so I could chase the threads after cutting. Whole job took about hour, including R&R of the motor in the plane.

Happy to report that they fit, function, and work perfectly! If you have a bent shaft, these work. Much cheaper ($1.95) than replacing a motor, and work better than trying to eyeball bend them back.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Replacem...?categoryId=-1

Edit: I decided to replace the shaft (Long Shaft) on the FW-190 after I posted. Just finished, and found I didn't have to cut the shaft down. There's plenty of room in the spinner for the extra length of the new shaft.
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Last edited by FLTRI; Yesterday at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,214 Posts
FLTRI, I thought you were Pylon Racing! Or practicing for that! hehe
That sounded higher RPM than when I run mine on 3S - quite a screamer, errrr, 'whirrer'. It was also flying fast so I guess you were up near max throttle almost all the time? Going a little bit slower towards the end.
It seemed very close to the light tower poles at times!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2013
124 Posts
Glad you got your maiden in, FLTRI! Looks like you enjoyed flying her! It's always great when a plane performs the way you want her to.

And thanks for the replacement prop shaft info - I filed it away in my Evernote for future reference.
JoeInNY is offline Find More Posts by JoeInNY
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2013
124 Posts
Just saw MotionRC advertising a 980mm high-speed FMS P40 with flaps and retracts.
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-p-40b-wa...-wingspan-pnp/

Pre-order for November delivery.
JoeInNY is offline Find More Posts by JoeInNY
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
FLTRI, I thought you were Pylon Racing! Or practicing for that! hehe
That sounded higher RPM than when I run mine on 3S - quite a screamer, errrr, 'whirrer'. It was also flying fast so I guess you were up near max throttle almost all the time? Going a little bit slower towards the end.
It seemed very close to the light tower poles at times!
Haha, yeah I was pretty much Nascar flying. Go fast, turn left. Those poles are further away than they appear. At least I hope so, haven't clipped one yet. Can't say the same for the flood marker polls in the center of the field. Ran a Zero into one at about 30 MPH once. The pole won...

Yes, I was near or at WOT. I'm nose heavy on the maiden, moved it back a bit for subsequent flights. Helped quite a bit. I do love the sound of a fresh motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNY View Post
Glad you got your maiden in, FLTRI! Looks like you enjoyed flying her! It's always great when a plane performs the way you want her to.

And thanks for the replacement prop shaft info - I filed it away in my Evernote for future reference.
I sure did! This is such a nice plane, and I am so pleased I brought her home in one piece, not a nick nor scratch anywhere. Maidens are always so stressful. 100 things going on at once, and if 99 are right and 1 is wrong, it's a fail.

I ordered three of the prop shafts as a test, and three more today for spares. They feel like they weigh a bit more, and the machining is noticeably better, so I'm hoping the steel is a bit more resilient. Should help us all out, I know I'm not the first to bend a shaft, and need one...

Here's my last video, it's the dead stick landing. Did I mention I love this new plane?!?

Dead Stick Landing (1 min 23 sec)
)
Last edited by FLTRI; Yesterday at 09:27 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
Haha, yeah I was pretty much Nascar flying. Go fast, turn left. Those poles are further away than they appear to be. At least I hope so, haven't clipped on yet. Can't say the same for the flood marker pols in the center of the field. Ran a Zero into one at about 30 MPH once. The pole won...

Yes, I was near or at WOT. I'm nose heavy on the maiden, moved it back a bit for subsequent flights. Helped quite a bit. I do love the sound of a free motor...

I sure did! This is such a nice plane, and I am so pleased I brought her home in one piece, not a nick nor scratch anywhere. Maidens are always so stressful. 100 things going on at once, and if 99 are right and 1 is wrong, it's a fail.

I ordered three of the prop shafts as a test, and three more today for spares. They feel like they weigh a bit more, and the machining is noticeably better, so I'm hoping the steel is a bit more resilient. Should help us all out, I know I'm not the first to bend a shaft, and need one...

Here's my last video, it's the dead stick landing. Did I mention I love this new plane?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQSA...jvvm8Iw1qz1MCQ)
Glad it all went well! Oh...... Did I mention..... I told you so....
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Joined Jan 2013
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40flyer View Post
Glad it all went well! Oh...... Did I mention..... I told you so....

Haha, yeah you did. I got spooked remembering the damage to your 2.0 P-40, and the massive fail that was my maiden, and re-maiden of the FW-190.

Ironically, the 190 is my now favorite second favorite 800, after I got it dialed in...

Old Today, 12:17 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,214 Posts
FPV Me-109

FPV with panning Me-109 coming this weekend.....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!