HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:36 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
The way the servo and aileron control horns are it causes a roughly 3:1 ratio of down vs up travel.

I was just wondering if there was a way to push the servo to its LIMIT points(155%) with the butterfly mode when it has low TRAVEL rates(45%) for the aileron stick.....

So as it is now I have the Travel at 140 all the way around and the limits at 140 and 150. This gives me full flaps but way to much aileron movement. I have corrected this in Aileron Differential and everything is working fine. I just thought there was a better way to achieve this.

Coming from the 12FG the programming is very similar but there are a few differences as I'm finding out.

Thanks for all your help! I'm still taking suggestions

HUGH
You sort of lost me. But the ATV should NOT be used to tweak your final rates and or travel. It is there to set the maximum available travel. Then you use the menus in the model menu to tweak the travel for flaps, ailerons, etc. as needed. This is how I have set up every glider I have flown (with flaps) and also several sport planes (with flaperons).
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchristensen View Post
I got 1/2 the time and only 3/4 the distance with the R7008SB receiver. Tested the distance by flying to the cloud layer on a particularly nice thermal and right about 1200 ft I would consistently lose signal.

Brian

Interesting. I have a R7008SB in my Aspire. At the last TD contest I flew I misjudged the strong winds badly and ended up landing out waaaaaay downwind. I marked the spot with ground reference and later measured on Google Maps. I landed 2,600 feet from where I was standing and lost sight of it a second or two before touching down. It landed in flat as could be in soft plowed dirt with absolutely no damage. I was even farther downwind and had spent the better part of 5 minutes fighting back upwind (I was ballasted to 91 ounces BTW).

I have also flown the 3.7-meter Aspire to the limits of my vision numerous times with absolutely zero problems. I have failsafe set for dropping flaps and if I lost contact there would be no questions at all. I have also not noticed any difference in overall power consumption compared to the 617 it replaced.

BTW - the R7008SB specs say it draws 75 mA. My 617 draws about the same. It is unclear to me how it is possible for your current consumption to have doubled ( the time) using a RX that draws 75 mA which is inline with other RXs. My 6106HFC I draws 70 mA, so go figure.
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Apr 24, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:59 PM
Flying the point of the mtn.
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
The range issue is likely due to both having telemetry on and a bit more as the cause, I presume, is the antenna going into the wing rather than whiskers. I suspected that was the case but I have not tested that.

As for power consumption, it is most definitely using more power than any of my 617's. Again, telemetry active. Without Telemetry I would assume it is the same. I'll do a little testing but I could easily get 1 hour from a 350Mah Rhino battery in a DLG and a 617 and I was getting no where near that (estimate 1/2 the time) with the R7008SB. I suspect telemetry. I'll throw both on a table w/ and without telemetry and see what happens. It must draw considerably more power though. Transmission is always more effort.
bchristensen is offline Find More Posts by bchristensen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Videos
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:26 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
I am using the RX voltage telemetry on my Aspire. I will be interested to see your numbers. You have a higher sensitivity to the consumption wince your pack is so small. I have a 2100 LiFePO4 pack in the Aspire. I have not noticed any difference between the 7008 and 617 in that application. The manual only gives the 75 mA spec. It does not say if it is greater with telemetry active.

As far as your range issue are you saying you run the antennas into your wings? Are they CF?? If so, that explains the problem. Like I said, I've flown my Aspire well beyond what you would be able to see a DLG with zero issues. My antennas are up front in the glass/kevlar nose away from the CF in the wings and tailboom. There is absolutley no reason to think that having telemetry active affects the range. BTW - when my Aspire landed out at 2,600 feet I still had the telemetry info coming to my transmitter.
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Apr 25, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:09 PM
Flying the point of the mtn.
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
Telemetry was likely lost but I wasn't looking at that while my plane was going down. At altitude, I lost control. I've been much higher on a 617 receiver. The LE of the DLG wing is CF. Both antenna are positioned to be 2 inches beyond the CF and I have no issue under 1000 ft. It's a long debated issue (whiskers vs. in-wing antenna) and I will say that I will not go back to in-wing. Based on my own tests, in-wing is a problem.

My DLG is a bit smaller than your Aspire so likely I am not going as high. I've got a CF/Glass plane that I would love to smash and burn.. I'll be testing on that one.
bchristensen is offline Find More Posts by bchristensen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Videos
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
CF is the worst case for 2.4. I know the range I am getting and it seems clear that the proximity of the CF to your antennas is the issue.

On another subject I contacted the service folks and they confirmed that there is no difference in the amp draw with the telemetry on or off. I'm not sure how to explain your situation, but the receiver is not pulling more due to telemetry being used. I have not compared the 7008SB to the 617, but as I recall it is not half of the 7008.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Brian.

Thank you for posting the DLG programming guide. I still have some issues (with my 14MX). Do you mind if I send you a PM with a couple of questions (as I guess it is a bit off topic for this thread)?

Jan
Oslo, Norway
janbra is offline Find More Posts by janbra
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
Question for 18MZ Wizards: when programming a mix using a Line Curve. As I understand it, you click on the "Point" button to move to the point along the curve you want to adjust, then click on the "Rate" button to adjust the curve itself (the value of the control to be mixed as the slave).

Is there some way to accomplish the same thing by simply moving the related stick and where the blue reference line of the stick as it crosses the X axis act as the "Point" instead of having to click on the "Point" button.

In other words, you simply move the stick and when you have reached one of the pre-determined points, adjust the value of the rate to adjust the mix.

TIA,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:03 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Hi Steve,

In a word, no.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Question for 18MZ Wizards: when programming a mix using a Line Curve. As I understand it, you click on the "Point" button to move to the point along the curve you want to adjust, then click on the "Rate" button to adjust the curve itself (the value of the control to be mixed as the slave).

Is there some way to accomplish the same thing by simply moving the related stick and where the blue reference line of the stick as it crosses the X axis act as the "Point" instead of having to click on the "Point" button.

In other words, you simply move the stick and when you have reached one of the pre-determined points, adjust the value of the rate to adjust the mix.

TIA,

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
Thanks Steve. I was hoping for a far less clunky approach to adjust a mix. There must be a reason why almost every radio mfgr refuses to embrace the notion of a "digi-adjuster" used by Multiplex. Probably because it's so easy and intuitive.

The digi-adjuster looks like a traditional potentiometer but it's really a digital version of the arrows you press to adjust the value of the curve. You simply move the stick, say halfway long its travel, twist the digi-adjuster to adjust the mix, and repeat as needed along the length of the curve.

When you're satisfied with the mix, you simply leave the mix and your adjustments are saved. It's simple and intuitive and allows you to easily adjust a mix while in flight without having to take your eyes off your plane.

Dismayed but every hopeful,

Steve
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:47 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
Next Question: I have a sailplane with 4 wing servos, 2 flap servos, 2 airbrake servos, 2 elevator servos. I used "Function Name" to more readily identify each servo. Example: instead of having 4 servos called "aileron", I changed the names to "LO Aileron" (left outer aileron), etc.Same for the elevators e.g. L Elevator and R Elevator.

Now when I go to set up a mix, how do I treat both elevator servos as a unit e.g. a mix where elevators are used to mix with flaps? Must I rename all elevator servos as "Elevator" in order for the radio to include them both in the mix?

TIA,

Steve
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:21 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
Well, I just answered part of my last question. When I attempt to rename all aileron servos in the Function Name menu as simply "Aileron", the radio automatically adds a suffix to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. e.g. "Aileron2". So clearly the radio wants to identify each servo location uniquely.

So how to treat all aileron servos, elevator servos as single units when creating a mix?

TIA,

Steve
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
What type of plane is it? For my TD/F3J planes I use 2 ail/2 flap wing type. I assign the flaps to J3 (flap = J3, flap2 = NULL) Aileron is Ail & Ail2. Ail is J1, Ail2 is NULL

For my scale plane I use the 2 ail/ 2 flap and assign flaps to a switch and use the throttle stick for the spoilers.

So what controls do you have in each wing?

#ailerons =
Flap =
Spoiler? =
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Apr 27, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:19 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
The model is the Valenta 4.5M L-213. It has 2 physical ailerons but each aileron is driven by 2 servos. It has 2 flaps, 2 air brakes and 2 elevator halves, each with its own servo. There's one servo for the rudder (with vario Y'd in) and one for the tow release. I'm using the 14 channel receiver.

The model is set up as a 4 aileron/2 flap wing with normal tail.

I've included some screen shots. As you can see from the airbrake/elevator mix photo, it appears as though this mix is only mixing the L Ele (left elevator) with the airbrakes.

How can I get this mix to include both elevator servos? The same question holds true for a flap/elevator mix. If I add an SLS in the future, the same would hold true for a motor/elevator mix.

TIA,

Steve
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:20 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
Just ignore the model name on the home screen, should read L-213.

I wonder...would it make sense to slave the Right Elevator to the Left Elevator in a separate mix, then perhaps the Airbrake/Elevator mix would work?
Last edited by SteveR; Apr 28, 2012 at 07:46 AM.