HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, VA, Middlesex
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Question
Vanguard Products Whirlwind J Class

Good evening,

I'm putting together a Whirlwind that has been started by the previous owner. He has installed the bulkheads, deck rails, electronics and ballast and really did a good job.

I'm looking at the deck, I have the original F/G deck, but the deck hatch bump outs don't match the bulkhead scheme and built access hatches.

I've never seen the rigging and winch layout in a hull like this, so I'm not sure if I follow the deck hatch scheme of the manufactuer or follow the lead of the previous owner and build a new deck from wood?

Any help on this project is appreciated..

Thanks
Brian
bwmarks is offline Find More Posts by bwmarks
Last edited by bwmarks; Feb 13, 2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,999 Posts
Here is the original instruction manual that came with the boat. I have an original deck if you need me to measure something.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
United States, VA, Middlesex
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Boater Dave, you are a hero, thank you very much!!

Brian
bwmarks is offline Find More Posts by bwmarks
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:12 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,999 Posts
When I started working at Harken (nee Vanguard) back in 2002 I heard all the stories about the 'little' model boats they used to build back in the 70's and 80's. And how the facilities manager took armloads of masts and fittings to the dumpster only a few years before I started. It almost brought a tear to my eye. I did get a brand new set of sails, thouigh, that was hiding on top of a rack filled with bags of real sails. All the real sails were being cleaned out and donated to the hurricane relief a few summers ago.
We have a few Vanguard J's in our club, so if you need some info on something let me know. I have two hulls and one deck, all unstarted.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:21 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
This place is amazing!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded