HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:15 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
New Product
Great Planes/Electrifly Yak-55M

Just saw this today and placed my order! I've been looking for one of these since I saw the GB Yak-55M! Anybody know more?

SPECIFICATIONS
Wingspan: 50.5 in (1285 mm)
Wing Area: 508 inē (32.8 dmē)
Weight: 3.5-3.75 lb (1590-1700 g) Wing Loading: 16-17 oz/ftē (49-52 g/dmē)
Length: 47 in (1195 mm)
Requires: 4-channel radio w/4-5 servos; brushless motor and ESC; LiPo battery and LiPo-compatible charger
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:38 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,072 Posts
Looks fantastic!But I am getting a little tired of R/W/B color schemes
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:45 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Me gusta mucho...

Looks nice...can't wait for video!
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:40 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Time will tell on this one. A promo video should atleast show what it is/or is not capable of to some degree. I do like the straight line scheme. Not as cluttered as some other schemes I've seen lately.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
Agree with the comments on the color scheme...I know the Russian colors are red/white and blue too and understand the YAK patriotic theme but R/W/B is on a lot of planes out there!

The .32 Rimfire might be a little overkill...at 3.75 lbs 200 w/lb. will be 750 watts for this plane. The Hacker A30-12XL on a 12 x 6 is pulling my 3.5 lb Sebart Sbach around like a rag doll and it weights .6 oz less!
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:08 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Are these new??? I've been eyeing on on the shelf at the LHS for a couple of weeks, looks like a nice airframe to say the least.

Not real sure what the problem is with the color scheme either, looks pretty darn good to me... Just sayin`, don't be hatin`!

Anybody build or fly one of these yet? I'd hate to be the first but I gotta do what I gotta do and I just happen to be going by the LHS tomorrow.
ziltoid is offline Find More Posts by ziltoid
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
Are these new??? I've been eyeing on on the shelf at the LHS for a couple of weeks, looks like a nice airframe to say the least.

Not real sure what the problem is with the color scheme either, looks pretty darn good to me... Just sayin`, don't be hatin`!

Anybody build or fly one of these yet? I'd hate to be the first but I gotta do what I gotta do and I just happen to be going by the LHS tomorrow.
Not hatin' at all...I ordered one yesterday! I love this plane...just commenting on all the red/white/blue planes out there.

You've seen this plane at your LHS? The Great Planes/Electrifly web site lists it as new...Tower hobbies says late November...
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:46 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
I really want to see what the weight will be after completion...usually GP planes tend to be on the heavier side but I really really like the 50" size and I like the 55M. Looks real clean...might have to give it a go.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:22 AM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
I've heard about the weight of GP planes from more than one person. I plan on using a Scorpion 3020-780 V2 (800W @ 5.8 oz.) on a 3S 2200-2650 30C pack and HS-65MG's all around to save about 5 oz. off the bat.

The IceLite 50 ESC I plan on using weighs the same as the recommended Silver Series 45A but it enables me to monitor power data and bump up the voltage on the servos to 6V without a separate BEC...saving me a little more weight.

The 65MG's at 6V are about 8 oz. less torque than the recommended Futaba S3115's but I'm running them on my 3.5 lb. Sbach 30e and doing fairly agressive 3D with no trouble at all.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:35 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
You've seen this plane at your LHS? The Great Planes/Electrifly web site lists it as new...Tower hobbies says late November...
Yep, pretty sure he's got one... We'll see for sure later this afternoon. If I pick one up I'll post some pics of the box contents and document the build from there.
ziltoid is offline Find More Posts by ziltoid
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:07 PM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
Yep, pretty sure he's got one... We'll see for sure later this afternoon. If I pick one up I'll post some pics of the box contents and document the build from there.
Awesome! Can't wait to see the build and hear your impressions of the plane!
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:57 PM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
Ahhhhh! Tower says "late December" now!!!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
Video Posted! Flying is IMAC type and looked very stable but no 3D...

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1186.html
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:49 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
Video Posted! Flying is IMAC type and looked very stable but no 3D...

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1186.html

Generally speaking most promo videos display the strong suits of a particular airplane (3D, precision, sport). I suspect this plane will be better suited as a sport/precision flyer than a 3D airplane. Not saying the plane can't 3D but I suspect if this was something the plane excelled at you would have seen it in the promo video.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:26 AM
Joined Jan 2009
608 Posts
Good point Tim. I'm hoping that overall flying weight reduction from a lighter motor, 3S battery and lighter servos will open up the envelope a bit.

Speaking of servos, has anyone had any experience with the Power HD servos? Folks elsewhere have posted positive things about them...and the Power HD 2213/2216 (both are 15.8g) look to be a very good match for a 56oz plane.