SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:22 AM
Joined Jan 2015
175 Posts
Discussion
Can I setup my Taranis Plus to control a gimbal with the joysticks?

I'd like to be able to completely switch the control of the joysticks for a 3 axis gimbal on the same receiver with a flip of the switch. Is this possible?
MichaelFR85 is online now Find More Posts by MichaelFR85
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:19 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
649 Posts
Yes, a Taranis can do this.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2015
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
Yes, a Taranis can do this.
Could I switch the stick assignments to takeover gimbal control while in the air and then switch back to regular control? How would it work specifically? How is it setup? Is there a video? Thank you!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:44 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined May 2014
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFR85 View Post
Could I switch the stick assignments to takeover gimbal control while in the air and then switch back to regular control? How would it work specifically? How is it setup? Is there a video? Thank you!
Hmm, been thinking about this and would be a little nervous with this type of setup. But I would think you can set up custom mixes to override a stick's pitch and roll via a switch, and control a gimbal's tilt and pan, all while the multirotor is in a stable GPS hold hover.

Another approach is to simply program the Taranis' side slide switches for tilt and pan on a gimbal.

I think a really tricked out mod would be to mount a small joystick controller (gamepad/PS2 size) onto the Taranis and tap into the circuitry of the rotary S1 and S2 switches. Now you have a dedicated gimbal controller.

Jubz is offline Find More Posts by Jubz
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:59 PM
Joined Jan 2015
175 Posts
How would I setup a slide switch to pan smoothly and continuously on a 360 degree gimbal? Is that possible? Slide more for faster panning, less for slower panning? Slide past 50% to go in reverse?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:25 PM
Joined May 2014
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFR85 View Post
How would I setup a slide switch to pan smoothly and continuously on a 360 degree gimbal? Is that possible? Slide more for faster panning, less for slower panning? Slide past 50% to go in reverse?
You can, but the slide switch is overall quite limiting due to it's narrow travel and low resolution. You've got me motivated to explore this myself, and seeing if I can replace a slide switch with a small joystick to control a gimbal.

Info below on the joystick controller in my previous post; seems very doable.
"Standard interface and electronic building blocks 2.54mm pin interface leads; Cross rocker as a two-way 10K resistor, with the rocker in a different direction, tap the resistance with the change; 5V power supply"
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2014
71 Posts
OK, now going to make this happen. Just picked up a couple of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now to figure out which circuits to tap into and how to mount the joystick onto a Taranis Plus.