HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
Build Log
Top Flite Stinson Reliant SR9

Hey guys, I'm getting started on this plane I purchased at the I.M.A.A. event at Castle AFB in California. It is already partly built, the wings and tail surfaces are mostly done. I'll be doing some modification first to the stab which had cap strips on the ribs but I want to sheet it. The reason, the manual says to as well as others since I am going with a larger engine.

I've already purchased a DLE-35RA for this build, but have not purchased any of the other components yet, just getting started.

By the way, if anyone followed my first build, a Sig 1/4 scale J3 (Giant Scale - Getting Started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316841), then you'll know this is not going to be a quick build in the least! I like to take my time and savor the experience! The way I look at it, is it saves me a LOT of money!

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the stab as I'm removing the cap strips:
Cub Flyer Fresno is offline Find More Posts by Cub Flyer Fresno
Last edited by Cub Flyer Fresno; Aug 26, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
Just discovered another issue; when the guy built the stab, he didn't line it up exactly to the plans. I'm not sure if some of this was "scale modifications" or just got in a hurry or something. But if you'll notice in the picture there is a gap on the T/E of the stab. The plans have this going straight across. The gap is about 1/8". Also, the cord at the center of the stab is about 1/8" more than the plans. The plans call for 7-1/4" cord and the stab is about 7-3/8".

These variations may not be noticeable when complete but I hope they don't effect the rest of the build.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
864 Posts
Im subscribing.

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
Wow! Johnny on the spot there SDP! (whatever that means) Welcome!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:48 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,157 Posts
I'm in, too.

I wouldn't mess with the stab, unless it isn't structurally sound.

I believe that the cap strips are a more scale option for the stab. The use of your DLE shouldn't hurt the structure, but remember to use functional tail braces.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
Ya know... I kinda thought someone would come along and tell me that, after I got all the cap strips removed! Well, it's kinda late now, already started. BUT, it's not too late, haven't sheeted it yet. (Did I just contradict myself? )

Oh, I did find a couple loose spots. A diagonal brace and one of the tip ribs had come unglued! I think I'm going to have to check the wings out with a fine tooth comb!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:03 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,157 Posts
I'd put the cap strips back on. Or, if I decided to sheet the stab, I'd put cap strips over the sheeting, to simulate the ribs.

Sheeting adds tail weight, however. These Stinsons balance pefectly with Benettized G-38s up front. Your DLE is lighter, and it may take nose wegiht to balance your SR. Sheeting the stab would make the situation worse.

From the sounds of things, I suggest that you check every glue joint on the already built parts. Now is the time to catch bad glue joints.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
Fiddlesticks! Okay, your reasoning is sound. I'll just try to do a better job than was originally done. It's wasn't awful, just not up to the standards of other builders I've seen. (wink-wink)

(Glad I started this thread! And I think I'm liking it much better than that other place!)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:14 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,241 Posts
I'm aboard, for the long haul.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
And a long haul it will be!

Here is another example of the build "quality". The sheeting was too short and was filled in with glue. Sure, it's on the bottom and won't be seen, but I'll sure as heck know it's there!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:55 PM
USA, FL, Palm Bay
Joined May 2008
29 Posts
I'm subscribed to learn and and supply moral support.
pete
malitape is offline Find More Posts by malitape
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,725 Posts
I was 'too busy' to ride along on your Cub build, but I've built several of the Top Flite kits of the Stinson...I'd prefer to watch you, than build another one

With what?-126 pieces in the Stinson stab alone, it has enough structural integrity.

I'm in for the long haul...
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,205 Posts
Woo-Hoo! Loving it!

Hey Robert, maybe it's time to renounce the other site and just come here. No bugs at all that I know of!

Welcome guys, I'm eager to get your input... AND support.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, NC, Advance
Joined Sep 2012
142 Posts
I'm here following along as well. I might just do my next build here instead of RCU, I'm still trying to figure things out there since the change.
neddy191 is offline Find More Posts by neddy191
Old Aug 23, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
864 Posts
A friend of mine re-kitted his Top Flite Stinson this last Monday. The plane will fly really slow, to a point, then it will stall. He pushed it too far and failed to react.

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot