Originally Posted by on4mj View Post
The brakes are not set by default.
Put the throttle at 100% on the TX.
Connect the RX battery.

You will hear
dit-dit-dit-dit (ignore that)
then
dididit-dididit-dididit-dididit

Put the throttle back to 0% during the second sequence (do not wait the end of the four sounds sequence, do it in the middle of it).

Recycle power (with throttle still at the minimum).

You can then check that you'll be unable to spin the prop by hand.
Thanks for that, just need to try it now!
P2k almost ready to go. Have set it up on dx6i with differential, 2 posn flaps and crow. Just to set esc and test motor.
Weather is crap just now, need a calm day for maiden. After that I will probably slope it until thermals arrive in warmer weather.

Iain.
ScottishPilot is offline Find More Posts by ScottishPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:40 AM
United Kingdom, England, Stokenchurch
Joined Feb 2014
43 Posts
Hi Phoenix guys,
I started to read this thread about a year ago. Now I have the 2000 and the 1600 versions. I have continued to follow the thread and there are some great guys, as well as some great ideas. There are quite a few novel ideas and solutions to problems (both perceived and actual).
I have seen some interesting radio set ups in here also.
I have been trying to trace back to find some of those brilliant notions from time to time, sometimes successfully and sometimes, I just can't find the item.

Is there an easy way to search a thread for a topic???

Actually what I am specifically looking for right now is a mention somewhere about the merits of putting the throttle on a switch, and using the throttle stick for crow mixing. I am using a basic Futaba T6J six channel.

Can i ask please, that somebody with a longer memory than I, point my nose at where those details were aired
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Baustin is offline Find More Posts by Baustin
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:59 AM
United States, ID, Twin Falls
Joined Sep 2005
75 Posts
[QUOTE=Baustin;30871871].....

Is there an easy way to search a thread for a topic???

Actually what I am specifically looking for right now is a mention somewhere about the merits of putting the throttle on a switch, and using the throttle stick for crow mixing. I am using a basic Futaba T6J six channel.

/QUOTE]

Hi Bruce,

Menu on the blue bar above, "search this thread," use the advanced search button.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...readid=1338888

I found a few things looking for words "crow mix throttle stick" but I'm not sure what your Futaba can do. With OpenTX (Taranis, etc..) you could program almost anything.

malcolm
deuxchevaux is offline Find More Posts by deuxchevaux
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokenchurch
Joined Feb 2014
43 Posts
Thank you Malcolm, for those directions.
Yup, I reckon Taranis is the way to go, for my radio "upgrade". I have been reading a bit about it on the Taranis thread. I have to say, I reckon it looks complicated enough already, and am basically bewildered by why folks are needing to solder even more stuff into it.
BUT then I am a newcomer to this hobby just playing and getting familiar with the Phoenix foamies.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Baustin is offline Find More Posts by Baustin
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:02 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baustin View Post
Yup, I reckon Taranis is the way to go, for my radio "upgrade". I have been reading a bit about it on the Taranis thread. I have to say, I reckon it looks complicated enough already, and am basically bewildered by why folks are needing to solder even more stuff into it.
BUT then I am a newcomer to this hobby just playing and getting familiar with the Phoenix foamies.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Hi, Bruce

What ever radio you use, provided it has an absolute minimum of 6 channels you will be able to effect crow. The problem I found was getting my head around the programming concepts for the radio I had then applying that to what I wanted to do. I have been using a DX6i and a JR11x. Each was quite different and 6 channels is quite limiting when you want full glider features. Some radios have pre-programed mixes for gliders that require you to put certain servos in certain channels. Whatever you have or whatever you get you may benefit from what I did to get my head around the JR programming. To avoid fiddling in my plane with wires and to avoid stressing servos and surfaces I grabbed a foam packing sheet from something we had bought and made up a rig with some old servos and a Ubec. I used some craft card and tape to make my various surfaces, ailerons flaps rudder elevator and one to represent the motor. This meant I could bind any Rx I wanted and plug it all in to see what worked without messing with the model. You can then transfer what works to your model and fine tune it. I had to reverse some servos etc and alter rates but it gave me the chance to really learn my radio and get what I wanted out of it.

You will benefit from having 7 channels available. Google search your radio and crow mixing. Many people have made good videos or blog/forum entries for this programming on various radios. The next trick is remembering what does what when you go to fly
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Last edited by mutha; Feb 23, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:08 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Oban
Joined Sep 2014
19 Posts
ESC Programming

Just programmed the brake and throttle endpoints on the stock ESC
It was a piece of piss, I was overthinking it, never having done that kind of thing before
Took less than 2 minutes in the end

Iain
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:17 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishPilot View Post
Just programmed the brake and throttle endpoints on the stock ESC
It was a piece of piss, I was overthinking it, never having done that kind of thing before
Took less than 2 minutes in the end

Iain
It's good when you get it done for the first time. Gives one a feeling of achievement..

well done!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 23, 2015, 04:35 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Oban
Joined Sep 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
It's good when you get it done for the first time. Gives one a feeling of achievement..

well done!
Cheers Mutha
Can't wait to fly the thing, but we have a succession of lows hustling in off the Atlantic for at least the next week
Looks like I will have to

Iain
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:53 AM
Italy, Calabria, Calalunga-pietragrande
Joined Jan 2013
219 Posts
Maiden
Phoenix 2000 (2 min 15 sec)
The Condor is offline Find More Posts by The Condor
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:33 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baustin View Post
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Taranis has everything you need, especially for gliders as the guys who built the f/w are glider guiders!
Usually the ones who add stuff are fpv flyers who want flight modes to be more easily selectable and visible feedback as to flight mode.
Mine is stock early model, no speaker mod or anything , it works fine, I keep fw updated and use the lua scripts a LOT but many don't even bother with that.
I bet another tx will come out soon which surpasses the taranis (not just the long awaited Horus) but for now the taranis is king especially considering cost ....
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 25, 2015, 03:54 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,074 Posts
Nigel, I got the second model Taranis with upgraded sliders etc. I have never upgraded it and only save my EEPE file now and again. I use a few mixes and custom switches and telemetry and that is all. It does everything I want and heaps I don't need. You might say I use it the way it came out of the box and it has performed flawlessly. I even sold my other TXs as I stopped using them when I got Taranis. Speaker has never needed modded either as it has always been good. Maybe I am easily pleased.

I found the program/mixing side easy compared to the HiTec Optic 6 I used to own.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 25, 2015, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
94 Posts
What degrees aprox. are you using flaps..ail for crow .
Thanks.
GBazz is offline Find More Posts by GBazz
Old Feb 28, 2015, 04:04 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Apr 2014
24 Posts
check this post by SpeedsterDEN
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6303
cristian74 is offline Find More Posts by cristian74
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
RV-1D Grumman Mohawk, US Army
United States, NC, Reidsville
Joined Sep 2014
79 Posts
Slow progress on my build.

I recently purchased the Carbon Fiber rod that goes in a Radian (or Radian Pro). Cost was about $6 USD. The rod is slightly larger in diameter at 9.5mm and is 700mm (approx. 27.5-inches) long. I marked the mid point on the CF rod and I was able to insert it by rounding the entry of the aluminum spar with a pair of needle nose pliers, apply a bit of spray oil to the outside of the CF rod and a smidge to the inside of the aluminum spar and then simply (and carefully) tap it in for a FIRM and SNUG friction fit. When I tried the other half, the aluminum spar started to move further into the wing. NUTZ! Well, I pulled the aluminum spar out and managed to get the CF rod completely into the now naked spar. I had to trim the end of the aluminum spar and beveled the end so it would slide back into the wing. I applied Gorilla brand glue to the outside of the assembled spar and, with help from my better half, pushed the two wing halves together. Just before the halves met, I applied a liberal squirt of Gorilla glue between and we pressed them home. Had to lift the plastic pieces at the L.E and T.E. on top of the wing, but otherwise, it went together pretty well. I'm quite please with it now and, hopefully, I can work on it some more next weekend.

NSASarge is offline Find More Posts by NSASarge