New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by wab25
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Discussion
1S vs 2S planes (8mm vs 180 brushless)

I got real excited about the UMX planes when they came out. I got the P-51 and the Corsair, the day they came out. For me, they are the right size and fly well in the field next to my office. I don't need any more speed or much more power. I would like to say that I flew the wings off them. Unfortunately, I flew the motors out on them, repeatedly.

Over time, the motors give less and less power, till the planes can't fly. Then I have to buy a new motor, rip apart the tiny plane, and install a new motor. The new motor will be good (flyable) for maybe 30 flights or maybe 200 flights. Then you are back to replacing the motor again. Since the motors are glued into place, and into the foam, every time you take one out, your plane suffers a bit.

Now that we have a bunch of 2S brushless 180s coming out, are these going to be the same headache? Or will these motors last? My little UMX planes get more damage ungluing the motor mount than they do flying. And more than half of my flights, are very under powered, I just don't want to change out the motor yet.

Both planes started being able to loop from level flight, roll easily and do nice high hammer heads. 20 flights later, I have to dive to loop, hammer heads are very short and rolls are out, unless you have lots of altitude.

I am hoping these 2S brushless motors offer more consistent performance.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by 2Winger
Joined Apr 2015
446 Posts
I've only been into rc for about a year, and have a few 1s and 2s brushless planes. I love them all, and 1s has its place. I have been told that 2s brushless will last for a very, very long time. The motors don't wear out, but the bushings in the motor can. I'm told that takes a long time to happen.
2Winger is online now Find More Posts by 2Winger
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Joined Aug 2015
239 Posts
2s brushless > 1s brushed.
Captain Muscles is offline Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by mattman0182
Joined Apr 2013
214 Posts
I have the original UMX Corsair, I just now got to fly it.

3 flights in the motor is gone. THREE flights.
mattman0182 is offline Find More Posts by mattman0182
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Joined Aug 2015
239 Posts
You guys should consider this motor.
http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col.../cl-0820-15-9t

This is what I currently have in my Corsair, and she flies a lot better!
Captain Muscles is offline Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Old Sep 17, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by wab25
Sausalito Marin Cty, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger View Post
I've only been into rc for about a year, and have a few 1s and 2s brushless planes. I love them all, and 1s has its place. I have been told that 2s brushless will last for a very, very long time. The motors don't wear out, but the bushings in the motor can. I'm told that takes a long time to happen.
I was hoping that someone who has one or more of these 2S 180 planes could verify this.
wab25 is offline Find More Posts by wab25
Old Sep 17, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
3,831 Posts
I have 3 umx planes ,,Sbach,Beast,Yak.....over 2yrs flying almost every day,Motors still going strong,,No issues....
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1