HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 10, 2016, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by bafbob
United States, VT, Brattleboro
Joined Aug 2012
108 Posts
Powerline gear resistance

I have been flying a PL 1025 for a season with about 100 flights on it and I have noticed a freewheeling spin to the prop when I give it a twirl with my fingers (power off!). I don't detect much - if any - resistance fro the motor/gearbox. Does anyone have this experience?
bafbob is offline Find More Posts by bafbob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Westranm
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
595 Posts
I have the same experience. Runs smoothly and brakes with no issues, too.
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by Rudix
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2013
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafbob View Post
I have been flying a PL 1025 for a season with about 100 flights on it and I have noticed a freewheeling spin to the prop when I give it a twirl with my fingers (power off!). I don't detect much - if any - resistance fro the motor/gearbox. Does anyone have this experience?
My motors spin quite freely, without the ESC brake engaged the prop will continue to freewheel after shutting the motor down.

I assume your motor is still running as it should?

My 1025 with the most flights on it, around 150 launches (most of them below 100m and many only up to about 30m for landing practice), is the one in my Supra, I cannot say I have detected and changes in the motor or gearbox when I turn it by hand.

Rudi
Rudix is offline Find More Posts by Rudix
Old Feb 11, 2016, 01:25 AM
Find More Posts by arno888
Germany, NRW, Selfkant
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafbob View Post
my 1025 has 1000 + flights and is still spinning like the new version
It was sent to Schambeck for maintenance and came back without remarks .....
arno888 is offline Find More Posts by arno888
Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by Jebera
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Oct 2006
602 Posts
Several aspects influence on the "free and smooth" spining, gear ratio, ammount of grease, lubricant viscosity, temperature and motor magnets strength to mention a few.
Keep the gearbox clean and freshly lubricated and it will go for several years.

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:25 AM
Germany, NRW, Selfkant
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebera View Post
Several aspects influence on the "free and smooth" spining, gear ratio, ammount of grease, lubricant viscosity, temperature and motor magnets strength to mention a few.
Keep the gearbox clean and freshly lubricated and it will go for several years.

André
As said; i had 1000+ flights with this engine and used the parts as delivered.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by zephirus
Scott J.
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined Jan 2013
346 Posts
Hi Arno had you taken the gearbox apart and lubricated it or was the trip to the manufacturer the only maintenance done?

Thanks,

Scott
zephirus is offline Find More Posts by zephirus
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM
Germany, NRW, Selfkant
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephirus View Post
Hi Arno had you taken the gearbox apart and lubricated it or was the trip to the manufacturer the only maintenance done?

Thanks,

Scott
It was sent back to Schambeck for maintenance as required/asked for in the set's manual . I have not taken apart anything ! (never)
First service on the set is free of charge, you only have to pay for the postal costs.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by zephirus
Scott J.
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined Jan 2013
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arno888 View Post
It was sent back to Schambeck for maintenance as required/asked for in the set's manual . I have not taken apart anything ! (never)
First service on the set is free of charge, you only have to pay for the postal costs.
Thanks Arno !
zephirus is offline Find More Posts by zephirus
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Germany, NRW, Selfkant
Joined Oct 2005
217 Posts
Despite all the tribute being payed to this sweet little toy I do have to make some remarks. The 1025 is developed to be used in F5J and not for endless long runs on full power.

The maximum power output, I measured on my 1025 is 55 A max. on a 1000mah 3s lipo and I can assure you that after 10 seconds, the engine is pretty hot, and for sure the temperature will be close to 80 centigrades after 30 secs. For this reason Schambeck says in the manual, as not to use lipo’s exceeding 1300 Mah capacity. The voltage drop, on the bigger lipo’s, is less thus allowing the motor to run longer on higher Amps. And exceeding this 80 degree border is a bad thing, as from this temp onwards, the magnetic properties of your engine start to decrease rapidly. Thus reducing the effectiveness of the unit.

So I think you have to be quite careful, running this engine on full bore, but then on the other hand when flying F5J you don’t have to worry that much. My 1550 grams Xplorer climbs on full power with 11-12 m/sec. And you don’t want to start your F5J flight at 300 meters +

I now from some heavier planes (22-2300 grams) that on full power they easily reach 230-250 meters within 30 seconds so the power available is sufficient. Just be careful as to not overheat this little baby. For that reason also consecutive runs should be avoided or minimized and in case you do have your doubts; current RC equipment does allow quite often for temp measurements.

As said before, I do fly F5J and had 1000+ flights in the last 12 months or so. I do fly on 800 and 1000 Mah, 3s lipo’s. My estimated power consumption was such that approx. 60% of the time the engine was running on 35% of the max power (17 Amps giving 5m/sec climb), 30% of the time it was running on 10% power (searching for thermals giving an actual 0m/sec climb) and 10% was on full power.

My unit was like new after flying for hours and hours and hours
Last edited by arno888; Today at 10:50 AM.
Old Today, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Jebera
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Oct 2006
602 Posts
Goo d statement!

Thank You!
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera