New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by tweety777
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,393 Posts
Hey guys,

Last thursday I've been starting up the programming project for Well Enhancer together with my father and brother in law.
We started we firing up the Pi's for the first time, which takes quite some time actually.
After that we tried getting some servo's to work but we didn't manage to get that done yet, apparantly there is some command send to the PWM module but apparantly that doens't receive or doesn't understand.
We'll get into that later on.

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2016, 01:38 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,393 Posts
Hey guys,

Been quite some time since my last post concerning the electronics. Yesterday evening I decided it was quite about time to start working on this again. During the summer my father managed to get some programming to flash a light for a given number of times attached to a given pinnumber.
Yesterday evening I managed to add some code to that so I now can do the same with 2 lights.
Not a great improvement but it's something.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 21, 2016, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,393 Posts
Hey guys,

Lately my mind has been somewhat focused on the controls of this vessel, which won't be by ordinary means but rather by means of a combination of 2 types of small computers, each communicating with each other making the best use of the specialities each has.
Because I don't want to multiplex functions (in other words: control several functions with the same switch) I first came up with building an entire desk which would accommodate a 7" tablet and a fortune worth switches and self made control sticks.
At some point I realised the desk (large enough to actually sit behind it) was way to bulky and would make transportation very difficult.
Then I decided to make myself a more normal sized radio to make it much easier in handling and carrying around.
Yesterday I made up my mind about the size, the base plate using some 13 to 15 joysticks would a A4 paper size, 29cm wide and 21cm deep which turns out to be about the size of 2 4-channel radios like the one I used at the start of this project.
The first 2 joysticks have been ordered and I used them to make an impression as to which joystick would be placed where and controlling which function.
The next design feature is the 7" touch screen which will be connected to the raspberry Pi computer inside the transmitter which will send video to the screen using a simple HDMI cable, the touch being transformed by the screen itself to act as a normal mouse.
The Pi will be equipped with software like what I've already written for testing the laptop control which worked to some degree at some point but was dropped due to problems and the fact that laptops don't handle rain well and are prone to be stolen.

Anyway, the reason for this post is the picture below:

The first 2 plates have been made and fitted with holes to accommodate and attach the first 2 joysticks and the 7" touchscreen.
The joysticks will have a plate on top of the wooden plate to conceal the electronics and to try and keep the water out, for that I will make an extra edge under the stick itself.
The plates will be screwed in place with the screws holding the electronics below.
Now I need to make 11 to 13 more sets of holes, the sides and bottom plate, a hatch for the 2 batteries (I will put 2 5V Ly-Ion batteries in there to compensate the weight of the screen, it's a little under a quarter of the calculated total weight of the transmitter and is fitted topside so I need the total battery weight to make it more balanced).
For added balance and to not make my arms carry the weight of this thing all day long (it will weigh in a little over a kilo, not quite light weight) by adding a camera neck-strap to the sides of the transmitter.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 25, 2016, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by capricorn
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,281 Posts
Josse, Your photo did not make it, would be interesting to see it. Another option would be to get a trailer and build a full size pilot house on it and use that as the controller. A roof to keep out the rain and a lock on the door to keep the thiefs out...

I don't recall from the previous posts, nor do I bother to go back and look, but what type of radio or comm system do you use to communicate between all your joysticks and the boat? What type of reciever does it have?

My project, idle again for months, uses an arduino mega on the boat with xbee and a laptop as the controller, it is working fairly well, but nowhere as simple as a regular radio, bug after bug to work through, the idle time is usually long enough for me to forget most of what I learned the last time around.

Cap
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:05 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,393 Posts
Hi Capricorn,

That is weird, I can clearly see the picture, so far this is also the only report of this...

I'm thinking of using 2,4GHz transceivers with a range of about a kilometer.
Due to the WiFi connection that will serve me with life video feed Im also thinking about using only WiFi as connection but Ill need to look into that to check the possibilities.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 28, 2016, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by blutoh
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ
Joined Mar 2012
1,736 Posts
Hi Josse,

I can see it. How much movement do you have in those joysticks?. Many that I have looked at have very limited movement, so I was thinking of using sliders in a project, to get better range of motion.

Blutoh
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Apr 29, 2016, 05:18 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,393 Posts
Hi Blutoh,

I didn't check the range, it appears to be adequate for how I want to use it, being steering as speed regalution.

Greetings Josse
Old May 12, 2016, 05:16 AM
Find More Posts by Dutchraptor
The Netherlands, ZH, Hoogvliet
Joined Jul 2008
351 Posts
Hi Josse,
Good to see you're working on this ship and control. I'm also still busy. The Seabex is now converted to a dual control boat. I can use a normal transmitter or use the Arduino control-unit (either smartphone with NRF24L01, an add-on to the standard transmitter for just the non-navigation functions or full-arduino control).
The normal transmitter option is based on the program I presented in the topic switch a lot with 8 channels on this board. The Full-arduino version is a further development from the full-arduino control.

I hope you continue your work. Looking forward to see you one day with "soepvaren" at my club.

grtz.

Danny
PS: attached a few pics of my setup. The pin rows are there to easily connect the functions and are controlled by a second arduino which gets its commands from the main controller. The lcd switches off when the lid is closed (I used a light-sensor for that)
Dutchraptor is online now Find More Posts by Dutchraptor
Old May 12, 2016, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,393 Posts
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the kind words!

I certainly keep on working on this boat.

Your Seabex looks great too!

Greetings Josse