HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Nitroplanes.com still lists the Armonia under Tech One kits for $66.
Vince Caluori is online now Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2015, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by tksamac
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
42 Posts
Radio settings for Armonia

So I might be a few years late discussing the Armonia. I just recently got one from nitro planes and plan to have it built in the next couple of weeks. I have a hacker A10-12s and x5 pro for power. HV jr servos.

My question is what settings does anyone recommend in setting up the radio. I would like to see from beginner to advanced please. Oh, I'm using a spectrum dx9 and receiver.

Btw, I got a Vanth too from wattaplane? It just a few fractions larger but real close.
tksamac is offline Find More Posts by tksamac
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by Dansy
In search of speed......
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
586 Posts
What you mean by setup? It's a pretty simple plane??
Dansy is online now Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Nov 26, 2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,918 Posts
Has anybody tried removing the rest of the milled foam, and covering one of these with mylar?
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Nov 26, 2015, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
You will have to cut away much more than the milled areas to make covering with mylar worthwhile. If you do, you can have a light great flying model.

Vince
Old Nov 26, 2015, 06:16 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,918 Posts
Thanks. I'd love to see some photos of a mylar covered Armonia. I suppose that if I was to remove as much foam as possible, the airframe may require some additional carbon for stiffness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Caluori View Post
You will have to cut away much more than the milled areas to make covering with mylar worthwhile. If you do, you can have a light great flying model.

Vince
Old Nov 26, 2015, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by Free
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
It really depends how much foam you remove. If you wanted a really light, well flying airplane, you would need extra bracing, but if you were aiming for a 100-110 gram airplane you wouldn't need to take away too much extra foam and it would not require extra bracing.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Nov 26, 2015, 09:44 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,918 Posts
I've seen some depron models with so much foam removed that the remaining foam is barely even there. Obviously, those designs require lots and lots of carbon reinforcement. It seems to me that a plane like that is going to be really fragile. I think I'd go all carbon if I was that determined to save weight. The all carbon plane is going to be a lot stronger.

For my Armonia, I'm thinking that some moderate foam removal ought to save 10-15 grams or so, and will also counter the Armonia designs tendency to be tail heavy. Hopefully, it wont need much, if any, extra carbon. With so much less weight behind the cg, the plane should balance with a lighter motor. More grams saved.

I'm hoping to save 15-20 grams overall by going with mylar.

The first plane shown here has very little foam, and a lot of tiny little carbon bits. I'm thinking more along the lines of the second plane.
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Nov 26, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Here are a couple of "Armonia" copies in mylar. Dry weight with a 16g motor and two 11 inch props was 72 grams. With battery 80grams. I also show an Armonia kit on the scale with an 11 gram motor and 8.5 inch prop at a little over 80grams. Flying weight about 90 grams. The Mylar saved 13 grams.
Check out the thread "Every gram counts" for some weight saving ideas.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:26 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,918 Posts
Thanks Vince!
I didn't realize your planes were based on the Armonia. That looks just like what I had in mind.

I'm surprised you got the kit version to balance with only an 11 gram motor. (What motor is it?) I'd be happy enough at 90 grams for the standard kit version. Then I wouldn't have to run the nice graphics.

I've been considering extending the nose a little help out with the CG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Caluori View Post
Here are a couple of "Armonia" copies in mylar. Dry weight with a 16g motor and two 11 inch props was 72 grams. With battery 80grams. I also show an Armonia kit on the scale with an 11 gram motor and 8.5 inch prop at a little over 80grams. Flying weight about 90 grams. The Mylar saved 13 grams.
Check out the thread "Every gram counts" for some weight saving ideas.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:43 AM
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
The 11 gram motor was from Dualsky. Unfortunately they just can't be found anymore. I never had a CG problem with my Armonia. I did use 3 gram servos, light weight receiver and a YEP7 ESC(less than a gram). The prop was a PT carbon prop which saves a few grams compared to a plastic one. I found the Armonia to be a great flying model at those weights.

Everything just gets slower when you lose weight!