Old Nov 15, 2015, 05:21 PM
Find More Posts by Knight Owl
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2013
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
It does sound like the ESC died on you. I stalled my 342 on its 5th flight. Ended up having to remount the motor. It probably had something to do with frying the stock 50A ESC. I don't think the crash should have fried the ESC since I wasn't at full throttle, or even partial throttle. There wasn't any noticeable burned area, but it just wouldn't work after that crash. So I replaced it with a EMax 60A model loaded with SimonK SW from LazerToyz.com. Been working fine since then with another 28 flights on the new ESC.

I'm a little leary of the Detrum brand when it comes to their servos and control horns too. I've had to replace all the servos and tail feather control horns too.
Don
P.S. I'm using a Lemon Rx/Stab. You might want to challenge the ESC on the ground before committing it to flight again with the same ESC. Restrain it so it won't go anywhere and move all the controls energetically at full throttle. Make sure nothing is in the blades line of rotation in case the spinner comes loose. The blades will be pulling with more force since it is restrained. In flight it only has to pull against the 2-3 lb airplane drag factor, not the entire weight of the plane.
I've done/suggest the same test as Don, except I keep the throttle off. Adding throttle probably presents a worse case, by heating up the circuits, but it makes me too uneasy doing it. I have witnessed a few (non-Dynam) instances when this test exceeded the BEC's output capability, resulting in a brief shutdown of the Rx.

As for Dynam ESC's, I have only used one (40A) Detrum ESC, in a different plane, and though it hasn't given me any major trouble, it did mysteriously seem to lose its programmed settings for no reason, and started stuttering on every throttle-up. Resetting to defaults fixed the problem. Using a BEC tester I built, this ESC/BEC appears to easily meet Dynam's claimed output of 3A. This gave me some confidence in their ESCs. But the original 50A ESC in my Dynam Sukhoi SU-26M had a poor solder joint at one of the motor/bullet connectors, which caused it to stutter. Resoldering it seemed to fix the problem, but not wanting to take a chance, I replaced it with something completely different before its first flight.

Like Don, I also have a Lemon Rx/Stabilizer in mine, and also had a Dynam control horn break on the rudder. They seem very brittle.
Knight Owl is online now Find More Posts by Knight Owl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2015, 05:12 AM
Find More Posts by hifinsword
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Owl View Post
I've done/suggest the same test as Don, except I keep the throttle off. Adding throttle probably presents a worse case, by heating up the circuits, but it makes me too uneasy doing it. I have witnessed a few (non-Dynam) instances when this test exceeded the BEC's output capability, resulting in a brief shutdown of the Rx.

As for Dynam ESC's, I have only used one (40A) Detrum ESC, in a different plane, and though it hasn't given me any major trouble, it did mysteriously seem to lose its programmed settings for no reason, and started stuttering on every throttle-up. Resetting to defaults fixed the problem. Using a BEC tester I built, this ESC/BEC appears to easily meet Dynam's claimed output of 3A. This gave me some confidence in their ESCs. But the original 50A ESC in my Dynam Sukhoi SU-26M had a poor solder joint at one of the motor/bullet connectors, which caused it to stutter. Resoldering it seemed to fix the problem, but not wanting to take a chance, I replaced it with something completely different before its first flight.

Like Don, I also have a Lemon Rx/Stabilizer in mine, and also had a Dynam control horn break on the rudder. They seem very brittle.
I agree. Running the throttle is a worst case scenario. It should test the over current & over temp circuitry in the Detrum ESC, if it has any. I'm not sure what protection circuitry it does have. I'm guessing if the ESC shuts down for any of those problems, it may also shut down the BEC. If it's a under voltage problem, it should still provide the 3 amps to the BEC for a controlled landing? Still just guessing.

All club fields I've been to have a maintenance/test stand to restrain planes when setting them up to fly. It consists of 2 vertical restraints made of 2x4 wood or PVC pipe in front of the wings. And just to be safe a strap across the tail in case it rotates up during the test. The biggest danger then is the prop and adapter coming off, so as long as that arc is clear on either side, you should be safe.

The Detrum motor doesn't have screw holes to mount a bolt-on adapter, which would be nice. The friction only adapter isn't what I would have chosen and if this one dies, I'll replace it with a motor that has a bolt-on type adapter.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by Phaeton
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,278 Posts
After extensively comparing the FMS, Art-Tech, Hobbyking and Dynam Sbach's (I like the model, already have the E-Flite UMX one), I decided to go for the Dynam.

It's in the mail from Germany now, probably arriving Wednesday and the following modifications are on the to-do list before I maiden her:
  • Replace the ESC. I do happen to have a Jeti Spin Pro 66 from a plane I don't fly anymore. Overkill, but there is a 5A BEC on-board.
  • Replace the control horns.
  • Replace the servo's. Taken from the same plane I don't fly anymore (Hitch's).
  • Replace the stock prop with an APC-E 13x7 (thanks to pulsar110).
  • Do some landing gear enhancement, don't know yet, have to see the construction first.
  • Perhaps remove the pilot. It doesn't look right. Better no pilot than a bad one.

There will be a Spektrum AR6210 receiver combined with a Lemon Telemetry unit. I fly almost all my planes with telemetry for the low voltage warning, but Amps and temperature measurement are nice extra's.

The aileron servo's will be on their own rx channel to be able to configure flaperons.

Juice will be provided by a 284 gram (10.02 oz.) SLS Xtron 30C 4s 2600 mAh Lipo.

And attached the math from http://www.ecalc.ch.

Yvo

Phaeton is offline Find More Posts by Phaeton
Last edited by Phaeton; Dec 21, 2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by pulsar110
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
After extensively comparing the FMS, Art-Tech, Hobbyking and Dynam Sbach's (I like the model, already have the E-Flite UMX one), I decided to go for the Dynam.

It's in the mail from Germany now, probably arriving Wednesday and the following modifications are on the to-do list before I maiden her:
  • Replace the ESC. I do happen to have a Jeti Spin Pro 66 from a plane I don't fly anymore. Overkill, but there is a 5A BEC on-board.
  • Replace the control horns.
  • Replace the servo's. Taken from the same plane I don't fly anymore (Hitec's).
  • Do some landing gear enhancement, don't know yet, have to see the construction first.
  • Perhaps remove the pilot. It doesn't look right. Better no pilot than a bad one.

There will be a Spektrum AR6210 receiver combined with a Lemon Telemetry unit. I fly almost all my planes with telemetry for the low voltage warning, but Amps and temperature measurement are nice extra's.

The aileron servo's will be on their own rx channel to be able to configure flaperons.

Juice will be provided by a 284 gram (10.02 oz.) SLS Xtron 30C 4s 2600 mAh Lipo.

And attached the math from http://www.ecalc.ch.

Yvo

I would add to your list to put an APC prop on instead of the stock prop.
pulsar110 is online now Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:10 PM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,278 Posts
Done, thanks ;-)

Yvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar110 View Post
I would add to your list to put an APC prop on instead of the stock prop.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by pulsar110
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
992 Posts
You bet. Many pages back I think I posted that an APC 14x7 drew the same power as the stock prop. This was taken from the data log on the Castle ESC that I put in my Sbach. I no longer fly the one I had but fly the SU-26 and also use the 14X7 with it. They both hovered for me easier with the larger prop.
pulsar110 is online now Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Jan 09, 2016, 07:40 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,278 Posts
Ok, build done.

I am very pleased with the design(solutions) of this plane. And the overall quality. Perhaps a larger "plate" could have been embedded in the fuse to give the landing gear better crash resistance, but it feels sturdy as it is. Have to improve my landing skills then

I decided to order new electronics instead of taking them out of another plane.
  • Turnigy 60A Plush ESC. Seems to be reliable and I noticed that it is very responsive to throttle. Which is good for a 3D plane. I have set the timer mode to middle, it comes default with the setting low.
  • Hitec HS-65 HB servo's for the ailerons. They are a direct replacement fit.
  • Hitec HS-81 servo's with 2 cm servo arms for rudder and elevator. Also direct fit replacement.

Others:

I am used to balance low wing planes upside down, so that all the weight is "below" the wings, but to be able to be even more precise, I drilled a hole on the foam at the bottom of the fuse, filled it with 2 component epoxy and put a self tapping hook in it. Made balancing easier. CG is 76 mm spot on. After balancing I only removed the hook. The hole is there for future use.

Almost all my (prop) planes have APC props, but despite the stories in this thread about self destructing Dynam props, I decided to leave the stock prop on. For now.

And the prop/spinner combi did feel out of balance at first installation. Turned the prop 180 degrees in the spinner and now it is turning vibration free. The being out of balance of both prop and spinner probably compensated each other.

There is a Lemon telemetry unit, measuring Volts, current, temperature and height. The volt/current sensor is "embedded" in the fuse. Wiring fitted better that way.
I fly with a Spektrum DX7 black edition.

Battery is a 284 gram SLS Xtron 30C 4s 2600 mAh Lipo.

ESC lead goes under the wing spar from rx to ESC. Saves also a bit on the wiring mess. And the wing spar is replaced with an aluminium one. The carbon or fiber tube cracked already.

I have a Hobby Eagle A3-L in my ParkZone SportCub so I can fly in winds that would otherwise be too strong and if I decide to put a stabiliser in the Sbach, it will be the Hobby Eagle A3 Super II. Since I have the ailerons on two separate channels, not much (affordable) gyro's to choose from. The Super II supports two separate ailerons.

Basically ready to fly now. If only weather permitted. Flights will be recorded...

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; Jan 09, 2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2016, 07:59 AM
I prefer Deans
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
1,278 Posts
Oh, and about self-ejecting canopies, when you have a spare servo and a spare channel on the rx, this could be a solution. This is a 7 gram servo. Almost no weight penalty and/or impact on cg.

Q&D mockup with tape, but you'll get the idea...

(And in case the servo malfunctions while the canopy is locked, you can always get to it through the vent hole and pull it away when flexible glue like UHU Por is used)

Yvo
Last edited by Phaeton; Jan 09, 2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by mahmoodmusaddi
Radio gives you wings ;)!!
Joined Jun 2008
651 Posts
Guys i just had new lipos for my sbach and just enjoying too much. Its like it has come back to life. I am using all stock except for apc prop , eachine 4s 1800mah lipo 35C.
Perfomance is v good. Verticals are ballistic and it even does little bit of hover before it struggles and dropped just after few seconds of trying on its nose.
Before i was using 1800mah and 2200 nanotechhs 4 cell, they were bit puffy too.

Will soon post a video . My airgrame is gettin worn out as i have got it repaired few times. I guess will need to get new airframe only kit ��
mahmoodmusaddi is offline Find More Posts by mahmoodmusaddi
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by mahmoodmusaddi
Radio gives you wings ;)!!
Joined Jun 2008
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Ok, build done.

I am very pleased with the design(solutions) of this plane. And the overall quality. Perhaps a larger "plate" could have been embedded in the fuse to give the landing gear better crash resistance, but it feels sturdy as it is. Have to improve my landing skills then

I decided to order new electronics instead of taking them out of another plane.
  • Turnigy 60A Plush ESC. Seems to be reliable and I noticed that it is very responsive to throttle. Which is good for a 3D plane. I have set the timer mode to middle, it comes default with the setting low.
  • Hitec HS-65 HB servo's for the ailerons. They are a direct replacement fit.
  • Hitec HS-81 servo's with 2 cm servo arms for rudder and elevator. Also direct fit replacement.

Others:

I am used to balance low wing planes upside down, so that all the weight is "below" the wings, but to be able to be even more precise, I drilled a hole on the foam at the bottom of the fuse, filled it with 2 component epoxy and put a self tapping hook in it. Made balancing easier. CG is 76 mm spot on. After balancing I only removed the hook. The hole is there for future use.

Almost all my (prop) planes have APC props, but despite the stories in this thread about self destructing Dynam props, I decided to leave the stock prop on. For now.

And the prop/spinner combi did feel out of balance at first installation. Turned the prop 180 degrees in the spinner and now it is turning vibration free. The being out of balance of both prop and spinner probably compensated each other.

There is a Lemon telemetry unit, measuring Volts, current, temperature and height. The volt/current sensor is "embedded" in the fuse. Wiring fitted better that way.
I fly with a Spektrum DX7 black edition.

Battery is a 284 gram SLS Xtron 30C 4s 2600 mAh Lipo.

ESC lead goes under the wing spar from rx to ESC. Saves also a bit on the wiring mess. And the wing spar is replaced with an aluminium one. The carbon or fiber tube cracked already.

I have a Hobby Eagle A3-L in my ParkZone SportCub so I can fly in winds that would otherwise be too strong and if I decide to put a stabiliser in the Sbach, it will be the Hobby Eagle A3 Super II. Since I have the ailerons on two separate channels, not much (affordable) gyro's to choose from. The Super II supports two separate ailerons.

Basically ready to fly now. If only weather permitted. Flights will be recorded...

Yvo
Enjoyed your post thanks!
mahmoodmusaddi is offline Find More Posts by mahmoodmusaddi