New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2015, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjo148 View Post
When charging 2 batteries in parallel PowerLab 6 shows info just for one battery? Same in PowerLab 6 PC SOFTWARE?

Where can I see info (or graph) for second battery?
You can't. The very nature of parallel operations precludes seeing the individual batteries. What you see is a single battery that has the properties of the two (or more) batteries combined. This is true for every charger no matter the manufacturer.

If you must see each of the batteries then you must do a single battery.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by Ohmic
USA
Joined Jan 2002
5,408 Posts
duplicate....
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Oct 06, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
A new 4s5000 pack from our favorite overseas cheap battery source.

First time putting it on the PL6 it triggers into a Safety charge. I check cells, one cell is 0.3 volts lower than the other 3.

Can the PL6 save it, or do I consider it a waste, discharge it down to zero with my car tail light assembly and throw it away?

Bought in July, discovered the issue in mid-September, so even a strong customer service org would be unlikely to help.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Oct 06, 2015, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by JohnWilliamson
Joined May 2010
514 Posts
If one cell is that low, because its faulty, or just because something discharged it, its toast anyway. Bin it after your tail light affair.

But beware that the tail light will put the dead cell into reverse charge, which may make it ignite! Better to use a charger to discharge it with balance enabled, to a low level, (if it will do so without the usual "error" issues). Or take it outside and bang a nail through it safely and watch the fireworks! Then throw it away.
JohnWilliamson is offline Find More Posts by JohnWilliamson
Last edited by JohnWilliamson; Oct 06, 2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Turner2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,245 Posts
I wouldn't automatically toss a pack because one cell is 0.3 lower than the others. Charge it and run some cycles and see how it does.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Oct 07, 2015, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by Gregor99
Revolectrix Ambassador
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
First time putting it on the PL6 it triggers into a Safety charge. I check cells, one cell is 0.3 volts lower than the other 3.
The main concern with packs that show a single low cell is an internal short. If there is an internal short, the low cell will just getting lower. If that is the case, the pack should be discharged and discarded.

In some cases packs arrive out of balance due to faults in the assembly process. If the low cell does not have an internal short, the pack can be recovered by bringing up the low cell and balancing the pack.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Oct 08, 2015, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by JohnWilliamson
Joined May 2010
514 Posts
I must add that I miss-read that post!
I thought one cell was at 0.3V...

Either way its a good sign of a bad cell. It wouldn't have left the factory that way so it has some internal self discharge fault going on. So I may well charge it in a safe sack, but would watch carefully. Houses and cars cost more than a battery pack. And it may do it while you are out of the house at some random point. I keep my stored lipo packs in the fridge normally at 60% in a safe sack.
JohnWilliamson is offline Find More Posts by JohnWilliamson
Old Oct 08, 2015, 02:45 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson View Post
It wouldn't have left the factory that way
I wish that were always a safe assumption, but its not. There have been many reports like this of users receiving brand new packs that the vendor claimed were checked during packing for shipment to the customer. The packs arrive with one low cell which is later confirmed to be not caused by self-discharge. If you report these to the vendor within their required timeframe, they may address it. Others have just cycled the packs and found that cell appeared to recover and showed no signs of self-discharge.

It points to several issues in the manufacturing and supply chain. It may be caused by a bad cell, but not always. One is wise to select quality packs, and quality vendors to avoid such issues. And of course, I would not fault anyone for not wanting to take a chance on a pack in this condition.
Old Oct 08, 2015, 04:02 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
Yeah my inquiry with HK pointed out their 30 day warranty period, which is long expired.

I may see if the PL6 can bring it back up this weekend, but don't think I'll trust it anyway, it's already been marked with a ? with a sharpie (which is my scarlet letter for Questionable ie don't trust it on anything I care about).

So it wasn't high end to begin with and I'm SOL now anyway. Likely hook it to a tail light bulb in a metal pan and let it discharge.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 04:18 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
2,117 Posts
At my bench building a wing so I said what the hell and out that lipo on for a 1C charge. It immediately kicked into safety charge and has been valiantly trying to balance it for an hour and twenty minutes. Three of the cells are in the 3.81-3.82 range while cell 4 is at 3.76. Internal resistance range is 2.5 to 4.8, with the questionable cell at 4.4.

Didn't write it down but I think starting voltages were 3.75 range for three and lowest was cell 4 at 3.55.

Fiddle with it and keep trying or discharge and discard?

Wouldn't even bother but I'm sitting next to it building
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:43 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
At my bench building a wing so I said what the hell and out that lipo on for a 1C charge. It immediately kicked into safety charge and has been valiantly trying to balance it for an hour and twenty minutes. Three of the cells are in the 3.81-3.82 range while cell 4 is at 3.76. Internal resistance range is 2.5 to 4.8, with the questionable cell at 4.4.

Didn't write it down but I think starting voltages were 3.75 range for three and lowest was cell 4 at 3.55.

Fiddle with it and keep trying or discharge and discard?

Wouldn't even bother but I'm sitting next to it building
Its your call. But can tell you this. You are now below the 150mv delta that will trigger safety charge. I'd stop the charge cycle and restart it and will likely charge normally. I would charge at least at 1amp and not above 1c for the first charge.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by JookSing
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
582 Posts
How Do I Restore PL 6 To Factory Defaults?

Just bought a used PL 6 from the classifieds coming from a iCharger 206b, so this PL6 and the whole preset charging concept is new to me.

I would like to restore the PL6 to it's factory defaults just to be safe before I start doing anything with it. I already downloaded the CCS to my laptop and have the FUMI3 on order. Should I go ahead and download the USB driver now or wait until I get the FUIM3?

I looked through all the tabs on the CCS but can't find a specific box/drop down menu to perform the restore.

Sorry if this is already discussed. I did a search on Google but the only threads that showed up were mentions of "...I did a factory restore..." or "...you should do a factory restore..." or ..."the factory restore is..." but no specific instructions of how to actually do it in the CCS.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
JookSing is online now Find More Posts by JookSing
Last edited by JookSing; Apr 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JookSing View Post
Just bought a used PL 6 from the classifieds coming from a iCharger 206b, so this PL6 and the whole preset charging concept is new to me.

I would like to restore the PL6 to it's factory defaults just to be safe before I start doing anything with it. I already downloaded the CCS to my laptop and have the FUMI3 on order. Should I go ahead and download the USB driver now or wait until I get the FUIM3?

I looked through all the tabs on the CCS but can't find a specific box/drop down menu to perform the restore.

Sorry if this is already discussed. I did a search on Google but the only threads that showed up were mentions of "...I did a factory restore..." or "...you should do a factory restore..." or ..."the factory restore is..." but no specific instructions of how to actually do it in the CCS.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
You can install the USB driver at anytime.

In the CCS click on the FIRMWARE tab
You will find the Factory Restore button there. (Left hand side middle of the page.)

Also you should download and read the Users Manual.
http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1380.pdf

Enjoy, You have a great charger.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 16, 2016, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by JookSing
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
582 Posts
I see it...thanks!
JookSing is online now Find More Posts by JookSing