HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Discussion
battery over worked?

I have a parkzone t28 with a eflite power 15 and a castle esc 55 in it I run a 3s 2200mah in it then I ran a 4s 3200ma and 4000ma since I ran the 4s and ran it full throttle for a while because the up lines were unlimited and I like the awesome speed! But since flying it a couple times it seems like one of the 4s batteries has lost a cell and the other dies after 1.5 minutes of flight not at full throttle. My question is have I over taxed the batteries when flying full throttle for to long and how do i figure how much full throttle I can use in general 10secs 20secs 30secs I dont want to know the physics just in general terms. This battery, this prop, this esc, this motor.......... Thanks for any help.
dfsmith is offline Find More Posts by dfsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:14 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,700 Posts
1. what is your prop?
2. what is your batt voltage when it dies?
3. what are the cell voltages (you can read off your charger)?
4. connect a wattmeter (like this http://www.valuehobby.com/gt-power-130a-wattmeter.html) between the fully charged batt and ESC. throttle up and see how quickly the voltage drops and what value it drops down to (~14.8V for 4s, ~11.1V for 3s). let us know how quickly it drops and what that final voltage is. don't do this for more than ~ 10 seconds.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:10 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,428 Posts
You may have noticed that all lipos have a C-rating...e.g. 20C, 30C etc. That's intended to let you work out hard you can work that battery (though it's often a bit on the optimistic side).

If you know those figures and you know what maximum current your battery/motor/prop combination are drawing then you can work out if you're overusing your battery. Without those figures we'd all just be guessing.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:24 PM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
I'll dig into it with a meter and see what its doing as im getting better at flying I most likely am pushing the envelope on more more more throttle for to long.
dfsmith is offline Find More Posts by dfsmith
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:43 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,504 Posts
If you didn't reduce the prop size when switching from 3S to 4S LiPo, you may be over-amping the motor, ESC, and battery at full throttle.

As already mentioned, further details of your setup, plus wattmeter readings, will help diagnose your problem further.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn