HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2014, 11:05 PM
Foamy Fan
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Dekan f22 built out of dollar tree foam or epp cheap and survives well, easily repaired, my current dekan f22 cost me 2 bucks for the airframe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740049
also the KESL wing, built out of dollar tree foam with 5/16inch wood dowel leading edges http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1040837&page=3,
timwhoa is offline Find More Posts by timwhoa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 03:15 PM
Foamy Fan
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
here is another great CHEAPY combat design, the "versa wing" by the flight test guys,, 2 sheets of dollar tree foam and a super common 1300kv blue wonder motor, cheapy to build cheap electronics, easy to repair, or simply cut out another one from dollar tree foam is you bust it up while laughing your way to the bank
http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-versa-wing-build
timwhoa is offline Find More Posts by timwhoa
Old May 27, 2014, 06:41 PM
East Tennessee
Joined Nov 2007
148 Posts

The Corvo

Here is a quick look at preliminary efforts to develop a better Park Flyer combat machine. Here's the breakdown as shown in the pictures and video:

Motor : 1300KV Blue Wonder with prop saver setup - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=2069
Prop : GWS 8040 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10046
ESC : Turnigy Plush 10A - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=4204
Battery : Turnigy Nano-Tech 1000mAh 3S - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=11901
Receiver : Orange 6ch ( with case intact ) - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=11965
Servos : Hextronic D-MG16 metal geared digital servos - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=6608
Airframe : 42" Symmetrical 336sq. in. EPP/EPS combo with Coroplast fuselage and elevons
Covering : 1.5Mil laminating film ( colored with water based paint sprayed directly onto foam before covering )

AUW : 14.32oz

FYI : The above setup has been radar clocked at exactly 35mph in a smooth constant circle ( i.e. no power dives ). It may seem kind of slow, but the goal is to keep the action in close, especially since the Corvo is relatively small. It performs quite well in a tight space and the speed feels higher when that close in.

Setup :

Ailerons : High Rates = +/- 13/16" Low Rates = +/- 9/16" Soften controls with 25% expo ( Spektrum )

Elevator : High Rates = +/- 7/16" Low Rates = +/- 1/4" Soften controls with 50% expo ( Spektrum )

CG : 1.7" behind the leading edge at the center of the wing

Notes : I like my planes sensitive and responsive. Slightly less Elevator throws than even the low rates above would probably be best in the beginning. My High Rate setting may be too aggressive for many and requires restraint to keep from snapping in maneuvers as the plane slows. Low rates are typically aggressive enough.

The coloring was applied directly to the foam with a water-based paint thinned and sprayed through an airbrush. Not all paints are created equal. The red on my prototype has faded to almost white from reacting with the UV rays. Currently, I am inclined to use latex house paint, which is known to be foam safe. Still, test it on some scrap. You can pick up any color ( Behr ) you want in small sample sized quantities at Home Depot for under $3 each, which provides you PLENTY enough for a ton of planes.

The laminate covering requires high heat ( iron set almost to full ) to attach firmly to the foam, but once it does, it stays very well. This being said, you must be careful and quick with the iron. Staying in one place too long will quickly change your airfoil as the foam melts away. Practice on some scrap ( wing husks ) before covering the wing for the first time. I like the ability to paint your markings and details on the wing, as fancy as you want, without needing a bunch of different covering films. The laminate proves lighter and more tear resistant than the other colored shrink films I have tried. Just my $.02. Experimentation with other covering methods is bound to happen as each of you approach that step.

This particular plane has been in the hands of many pilots and has suffered MANY hard knocks and full throttle hits without any damage. It will pull a standard crepe paper combat ribbon without issues and is intended for 8 minute rounds, although it will usually fly right at 10 minutes without overdrawing the battery. It also handles the wind amazingly well and is currently my "go to" plane when I want to fly combat. It essentially flies like the big boys without the mess or noise. It is almost silent, but the video below had so much talking in the background that I chose to replace it with music.

10" Root, 6" tip and the leading edge of the tip is 0.75" forward of that of the root. Any symmetrical airfoil or one that is suitable for a "plank" will work, but many airfoils outside of these will present problems. ( A quick Google search will reveal several, often times found on slope gliding planks... each with different strengths and weaknesses. ) These additional pictures should also help. I typically round my motor mounts with a hole saw to match the motor mount just to clean things up a bit, but I think you can get the idea. Word of warning... this is not a flying wing! It is a plank and the correct CG is absolutely critical, but it may vary slightly depending on the chosen airfoil. A CG difference of 1/8" - 1/16" can make the difference between a great flying combat monster and a virtual nightmare that you can barely control enough to keep in the sky. Be precise. Fingertips won't cut it here. I balance mine on the edge a a very thin steel rule. This requirement makes planks VERY pitch sensitive and you should expect to use very little elevator throw with a lot of exponential ( like 50% )to smooth it out. It may take a little tuning in the beginning for your first one until you find the preference of your airfoil and any layout deviations you may have with your building alignment. That being said, once you have it tuned in, it is hands-off stable but can turn ridiculously tight if you want.

Try everything you can to keep it as light as possible. Mine are coming in less than 14.5oz AUW. There is little armor, but then little is needed as all of the planes are weighing about the same and flying at about the same speed. We penalize BIG TIME if you cannot make a full round and also have penalty points for impacts ( collisions ) to both parties, thus it has become a more precise game with less damage...especially with the planes of this size and speed. Increased speed is countered by having to use more throttle control or you run out of power and lose major points... increased durability is countered by the propulsion requirements and added weight to haul it around... longer wing spans may offer increased cutting area, but take a weight and performance hit, etc. You probably get the idea. Good luck.

Note : Each Corvo in this video below is run with different props and motors from each other, but the one taking the ribbons is as listed above.

3 Corvos are better than one!!..Park Flyer ultimate combat (5 min 33 sec)

Video of solo Corvo with first test flight dragging a ribbon. Kind of a long video, but it shows it's ability in a tight area with both inside and outside maneuvers.

BNC Corvo : Park Flyer Ribbon Combat Plane.mpg (8 min 27 sec)
Blue Note is offline Find More Posts by Blue Note
Last edited by Blue Note; May 27, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 06:54 PM
East Tennessee
Joined Nov 2007
148 Posts
Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscar" ( Flat Foil ) e1000 Combat Plane

This plane is just to show some variety that would qualify for the e1000 class using different building techniques. The Oscar was made from scrap sheets of 1.3# EPP foam using a 1300KV "Blue Wonder" motor, a 10A ESC, GWS 0804 prop, and a Turnigy Nanotech 1000mAh 3S 25C battery ( the exact same gear that is in the Corvo demonstrated in the previous post ). 10 minute flight times at 75% throttle average ending at 3.85V per cell. 34.5" wingspan, 200sq.in of wing area with an AUW of 9.48oz to give a wing loading of 6.83oz/sq.ft. This was just a test of concept and materials. The drag of the fuselage, wing, and tail is typical and expected for this type of construction, but I was surprised of the performance penalty compared to other designs boasting some actual aerodynamic considerations that use the same propulsion system. For the cost and time commitment, the results are not bad, but not spectacular...about as expected. Initial flights ( on video ) reveal that it could potentially be improved with an actual airfoil and/or an application of some light weight laminating film ( 1.7mil ) to stiffen the wing a little. Thinner tail feathers certainly would not hurt in the drag department as well. ( The laminating film was later tested on this exact plane and it did indeed remove any traces of flutter. ) Originally, the control surfaces were secured and hinged with Welder contact cement, which works great. Unfortunately, I applied a little too much which made them too tight. I had to cut them free and reattach with Blenderm tape to make them flexible enough to operate freely. This step takes away from the appearance and may account for some of the flutter that was generated in a pullout from a high speed dive on the original setup. Lessons still being learned...

Again, I am not promoting one particular design, just trying to showing some of the different options that are available for builders of all levels. Let's face it, combat requires some degree of scratch building if you are going to participate much.

Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscar" ( Flat Foil ) e1000 Combat Plane (7 min 51 sec)
Blue Note is offline Find More Posts by Blue Note
Last edited by Blue Note; May 27, 2014 at 07:09 PM.