HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:46 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,568 Posts
Also, about balancing... if you take the time to really balance the blade and the hub, you'll find that after using enough props, all brands will eventually need some minor attention. The spinners are actually worse than props, so if you don't balance the blade, the hub, and the spinner, I'm not sure it's worth the time. Then there is always the quick accumulation of nat and mosquito remains in the summer. If you don't clean and re-balance, why bother? Xoar, APC, and Falcon seem to be fine almost all the time, but my spinners are always a problem.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:55 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
...The spinners are actually worse than props...my spinners are always a problem.
I've run into that, too, many times. You'd think it would be easier to make well-balanced spinners than props, but apparently it isn't.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jan 26, 2014, 05:17 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
I've mentioned it before that in some sizes despite the APC on paper showing worse performance i've preferred them to the wood alternatives. I can't state why other than they sometimes seem to be more predictable to me, but as AP has I guess alluded to they all perform differently and just because one prop produces less thrust doesn't necessarily make it worse, if you prefer it in flight and more correctly matches your power system in regards to power draw and flight times.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Jan 26, 2014, 05:42 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,568 Posts
Yeah, as you can see from the results, some numbers are so close, that it seems almost impossible to feel the difference in the air. During our discussions on the power thread (and there were many), some guys didn't like the higher performance, while other would gladly give up the lower Amps and more flight time for the increase in thrust.

It all depends on your flying style. Even though this is a 3D thread, not all 3D pilots do the low and slow stuff all the time, and some guys stay mostly with the high speed, high energy freestyle type of extreme aerobatics. Because of this, there is no one-size-fits-all prop. Of the smaller 3D planes I have, I actually have a 14x7 APC on two because the 14x7 beechwoods draw a bit more Amps than I want to produce here in the summers of Florida... less power, but more flight time and less worrying about heat.

You also have to remember that you can produce more airspeed from one prop, but it will produce less torque, Watts, and thrust, than a prop with a bigger diameter and less pitch. So some guys want a hot rod, while others want ballistic pull-out from a hover, or the high torque and more vectored thrust of a bigger prop at lower RPMs to pull off some full stall maneuvers. My son loves the bigger props with less pitch because it helps him cut into rollers from a near zero airspeed in a harrier.

So even after all the testing I have done, trying different prop brands is something I still do, but I know what to expect from most of the Xoar, Falcon, APC, and Mejzlik, at this point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:41 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Also, about balancing... if you take the time to really balance the blade and the hub, you'll find that after using enough props, all brands will eventually need some minor attention. The spinners are actually worse than props, so if you don't balance the blade, the hub, and the spinner, I'm not sure it's worth the time. Then there is always the quick accumulation of nat and mosquito remains in the summer. If you don't clean and re-balance, why bother? Xoar, APC, and Falcon seem to be fine almost all the time, but my spinners are always a problem.
Have you tried the Spinners that EF sells? They are the best hands down.
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:16 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Have you tried the Spinners that EF sells? They are the best hands down.
Yeah, I'll agree with that... It may be the fact that we can secure them with two screws, or just that they are really good quality. I have them on my four smaller EXPs and never had to balance any of them... but the CF spinners I have on the bigger planes with the single mounting bolt are the problem. I like the way the CF looks on the bigger plane, and the length of some CF spinners have a more scale look to them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:34 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,568 Posts
I wish I remember where I bought this 4 inch CF spinner two years ago. I'll have to see if I still have the receipt because it was actually spot on with a solid back plate too. Maybe I just got lucky.
RCG Plus Member