HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:19 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,160 Posts
Discussion
Hacker A60-7XS - lock ring problem

Hi,

I have a problem with my Hacker A60-7XS and it seems a spacer has come out of the motor (during flight).

Some background info from a post I have going at rcuniverse:

I flew with my MythoS 125E with Hacker A60-7XS motor this morning [yesterday] and I had flown about 6 or 7 flights and when I landed and took the canopy off to change battery I noticed a metal part hanging out of one of the smaller holes in motor case. I managed to get the metal part out after a while (had to mount off the motor from fuselage first).
After more careful examination of the metal part it seems to be some spacer or clip.
See images below how the metal part look like.
Total run time on the motor is about 120 flights = 850 minutes or ~14 hours.

I mounted back the motor on fuselage and tested it on ground at various RPM and it ran fine. I also made a 7 min flight and it was fine.
The metal part obviously is inside the motor for a reason but since I do not have an exploded view of Hacker A60-7XS I do not know where the metal part (spacer/clip) is mounted and if it would be stupid to run the motor without it.
http://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/e-v...&t=3&c=32&p=32
I have e-mailed Hacker support in Germany earlier today [Friday] but got no answer (maybe on Monday).

Anyone disassembled a Hacker motor that know what purpose the metal part has and if it might be OK to run the motor without it (for a limited time)?
It is competition next week so I will not be able to repair the motor before that. I might be able to buy a new motor and get it shipped to me in time but I'm willing to take a chance with my current motor if it would be OK to run it maybe 10 flight (some more practice flights and 4 competition flights).

And advice or if someone know what the metal part is for?

/Bo

----------
I got an answer in the thread from a user, Andrew, and he took apart an A60-6XS (basically same motor as 7XS) and he told me it was a spacer between bell and windings.
He said: I went and took an A60-6xs apart and it looks like its the spacer between the windings and the bell. I would probably see if you can find a washer to replace this. Mine was 12x8x.3
Andrew
-----------

I answered:
I measured the spacer and it was 38 millimeter long (I formed a leadwire to same shape on top of the spacer and then straighten the wire and measured it) so I could calculate the diamter:

38 diveded by 3.14 (Pi) is about 12 mm.
With of spacer is 1.6 mm
Inner diameter would be about 1.6 x 2 = 8.8 mm
So my measurment is about in the neighbourhood of the spacer that Andrew have in his A60-6XS.

Thickness of spacer is 0.8 mm so that is about same as 0.3 inch that Andrew measured on his spacer.

But one thing I find strange on my spacer is the it has rounded ends so it seems not to to have been a closed spacer. More like a clip?
See image below.
What do You think about the ends of my spacer, how can they be rounded?

And I can not understand how the spacer was able to get out of the original place between the windings and bell - it should be impossible?

To run my motor as it i now without the spacer - what is purpose of the spacer and what might happen to run without the spacer? Would the windings come dangerous close to front of bell so risk for windings to ge damaged without the spacer?
It is no play forward and back on drive shaft as it is now without the spacer. It is 1 millimeter / 0.4 inch space now on my motor between bell and backplate.

What tools do one need to get an A60 apart (to get the bell of)? - can somone give a brief step by step instructions how You do it?

Maybe someone at Aero-Model / Hacker brusless USA could give me advice?

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jun 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,160 Posts
OK guys, I have zoomed in to the pictures that Andrew took of inside his A60-6XS and I think I have found the metal part and where it is mounted.

It seems to be the clip that is on the outside of bearing on the part that carry the windings (the stator), see my zommed in picture below.
Notice the rounded end of the clip, just like on my clip.

So what is the purpose of that clip?

Can I safely run the motor without the clip, at least for maybe 10 more flights?

That clip is obviously not safe, at least not in my motor since it came loose by itself.
A clip like that that come loose can damage the windings for sure.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Jun 22, 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,160 Posts
OK, I took my Hacker A60-7XS apart now and the clip was missing on the stator.
Images below is on my own A60-7XS.

The windings had got some beating but no copper wire is broken, I examined them with a magnifying glass.

I have got some advice to just brush on some protective varnish on the copper wires that has some chafe on it.

I'm thinking of mounting a more ordinary black lock ring for axel - retaining ring (see image below for an example) on the motor instead of the type that Hacker use as standard.
I think it would be safer since it would be harder for such ring to come off.
Good or bad idea?

The slot in the black part on the stator where the clip is suppose to be is 17.40 millimeter diameter (and the original clip is 1.6 mm wide and 0.8 mm thick) so I will se if I can find a black lock ring for axel with that inner diameter, width and thickness.

/Bo
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,160 Posts
I sat down and have been thinking.
Why not reuse the old Hacker clip and after reshape to original shape use glue over the clip efter it is mounted back?
I managed to get back the shape of old clip rather good. Cleaned all surfacec with acetone and then mounted back the clip.
Then I know from past experience that Loctite Power Glue Extreme Repair is good - flexible, strong, handle vibration good and can handle temperatures between -50 to +120 deg celsius (-58 F to +248 F) and bond good to metal and various other materials. So that was the glue I used to make sure the clip will not be able to jump out of the notch.
I hope this will be enough and will last the life of the motor. Maybe I will mount a new clip later.

Motor is now assembled and mounted in the model again, ready to fly again tomorrow.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,160 Posts
Made 10 flights after the repair. So far so good.

/Bo
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
Mythos 125E 8S

deleted
flydynamics is offline Find More Posts by flydynamics