SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:02 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Discussion
Fixed Wing Pusher UAV

Hey Guys,

I have pursued this in the past and lost interest as I was busy with other things, so now that I have a little more time i decided I should get back into it. I wish to design and build (multiple scaled prototypes then a large scale) a fixed wing UAV. I have started CAD work on the a scaled aircraft which will be used purely to ensure the wing, tail and airframe configuration will fly (well). This first prototype will be powered by a 3S setup at this stage I am thinking the stock setup of a Parkzone f27q Stryker. I have posted below a screenshot of my nose assembly, so please give me feedback and if you think I need to know something please do let me know.

Cheers,

1stfoot
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
The Basic design will use a circular fuselage, forward swept anhedral wings and a Y-tail. I decided on this design basically because it looked the part. For my first prototype I have decided on the following measurements...

Overall Length = 600mm
Diameter of Fuse = 50mm

Haven't decided on wings yet but I am thinking 200-300mm chord at root and 150-200mm at tip.

I am aiming for a flight time of approximately 15-20 mins on a 2200mah Lipo (if I do end up using the stock F27q stryker power system).

I intend on using removable wings due to the fact each wing will be around 800mm in length but am unsure of the best way to do so. I have access to a 3D printer so will be utilising this to print the nose and tail cones as well as the wing mounting position so if anyone has any suggestions regarding removable built-up wings please let me know.

Cheers,

1stfoot
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Just an update (even though I have had no feedback yet), am working on the fuselage and have completed the nose and tail cones and am working on the battery compartment. I have attached a screenshot of the battery compartment so far (bare in mind that the batteries I will be using are 2 x 3S 2200mAh lipo's which will be in series so the battery bay is quite large at around 300mm in length).

1stfoot
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
Looks like an intersting build.

I'm always on the lookout for new airframes.

Something that i've always wanted was an airframe with a fully removable electronics chassis. Preferably with a pusher setup at the rear so the whole assembly (with motor and prop at the rear) could be pulled out of the rear of the fuselage giving easy access to the avionics.
It would allow you to take a small pod into a workshop / van, to make modifications rather than something wth huge wings that get in the way.

I'm sick of trying to connect batteries and modems through keyhole sized gaps in a canopy or similar.
twobarboost is offline Find More Posts by twobarboost
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Well I don't know about a removable electronics bay but it will have large hatches to access all electronics easily. I have decided today that I will double the diameter of the fuselage as the original 50mm was too small. This has allowed me to place the two 3S lipo's next to each other and that therefore conserves space (therefore length has increased to only 800mm)

Power system hasn't changed as the airframe is now very similar in size to the f27q stryker, so on 6S it should reach 200kph.

Cheers,

1stfoot
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
For those who are looking here I have just completed my wing mount (using AutoCad instead of Inventor Fusion). If anyone spots any issues please let me know.

Thanks,

Matt
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
So after a little re-designing I have been able to 3D print the formers for the battery bay. They turned out great and I think they will fit together extremely well. I have both hatches in the printer now and also a pair of wing ribs that incorporate servo mounts into them. I still have to print the nose, motor mount, wing mount and tail mount. Will have the drawings for the laser cutter drawn up within a week so will hopefully be putting it all together within a month.

1stfoot
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just an update, files have been sent to lasercutkits.com.au and parts should be produced soon. Rest of 3D printing will begin later this month. I am hoping to be able to begin assembly by early-mid december.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
Done a few calculations based on current motor I have that I want to use in this aircraft, I got the following results...

Anyone think they are realistic?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
More Data...
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Nov 2011
285 Posts
This is a concept of what the side of the fuse will look like. Hope it looks ok.