SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,100 Posts
Files

ok, thats good. I will stay with rx2atp.c then.

And yes, no problem. I can test out with all my rx's and let you guys know.
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:20 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
GPS integration

Does anybody have experience with a GPS unit I should look at for this? The plan is to receive the data on the Arduino and then maybe do something with it right there or send it up to the drone program and let it deal with it. Need input on that choice as well.
miru
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:36 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,100 Posts
Gps

I was just looking at this.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...gps-modules-at

But seems to be pretty cheap. Don't if it might work for us. I'll let the expert decide. (you! and the rest )
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:55 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
I was just looking at this.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...gps-modules-at

But seems to be pretty cheap. Don't if it might work for us. I'll let the expert decide. (you! and the rest )
The price is good, but I currently gave up on making boards and soldering SMD components. I'll need something that is already mounted and hopefully has a voltage regulator on it, I don't want to overstress the little SOT on the Arduino board (it already powers the RX).

Actionplus, have you been flying yet?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:04 PM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,100 Posts
Flight log

No flight yet.
Still at work. Hopefully will have something to report tomorrow evening.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
USA, IL, Niles
Joined Sep 2004
48 Posts
miru, thanks a million! I was starting to think about selling the drone before I saw this thread. I guess I was right that the tinkering potential of the drone (software) was a major plus why I should buy it.

I loaded the new software to my arduino, and moved the wires around to convert from nosaari's setup. I only tested channels 1-4, so startup took me a bit... had the aux switch in FM2 on power-up.

I power cycled and everything started up fine. I was in cramped space, so all i did was hover around in FM1 and yank the right (mode 2) stick around a bit.. response seemed less "digital". Can't wait to try it outside.

I just realized I didn't even clean up the drone's software, so i had it up with nosaari's mod's in place on drone. Does anyone know if upgrading the firmware will wipe those out? or do i have to telnet in and clean up?

thanks again!

ed d.
dowtort is offline Find More Posts by dowtort
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:50 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtort View Post
I loaded the new software to my arduino, and moved the wires around to convert from nosaari's setup. I only tested channels 1-4, so startup took me a bit... had the aux switch in FM2 on power-up.

I power cycled and everything started up fine. I was in cramped space, so all i did was hover around in FM1 and yank the right (mode 2) stick around a bit.. response seemed less "digital". Can't wait to try it outside.
ed d.
If the green light on the Arduino blinks 3 times at a one second rate, 'rx2atp' wants you to get your transmitter sticks and switches set to a configuration that it can start with. It waits for you to center the throttle stick and flip the flight mode switch to LAND.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Feb 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowtort View Post
miru, thanks a million! I was starting to think about selling the drone before I saw this thread. I guess I was right that the tinkering potential of the drone (software) was a major plus why I should buy it.

I just realized I didn't even clean up the drone's software, so i had it up with nosaari's mod's in place on drone. Does anyone know if upgrading the firmware will wipe those out? or do i have to telnet in and clean up?

thanks again!

ed d.
I deleted the files that I FTP'd over and restored the files nossari recommended to back up, then updated the firmware to the latest version. Everything worked as normal with the iPhone controlling so I hope that's all I needed to do? The only gremlin is that video doesn't work now but I don't care about that!
sevensixty is offline Find More Posts by sevensixty
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Does anybody have experience with a GPS unit I should look at for this? The plan is to receive the data on the Arduino and then maybe do something with it right there or send it up to the drone program and let it deal with it. Need input on that choice as well.
miru
I have attached a GPS onto my AR.drone via the serial port directly.
I'm trying to write an on-drone app with PID control to AR.Drone with the GPS data.
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPGPS View Post
I have attached a GPS onto my AR.drone via the serial port directly.
I'm trying to write an on-drone app with PID control to AR.Drone with the GPS data.
I figured out how to make a serial port from regular DIO pins that is totally driven by interrupts, unlike the 'softserial' from the Arduino folks. It uses timer0 to do the timing and at this point can go from 110 to 115200 baud. This means we could pass on the data to the drone program 'GP*<whatitis>=....' and have it interpreted there?
Still worried about the power....
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
It uses timer0 to do the timing and at this point can go from 110 to 115200 baud. This means we could pass on the data to the drone program 'GP*<whatitis>=....' and have it interpreted there?
Still worried about the power....
For 1~4Hz GPS NMEA data string, 1200~4800 baudrate is enough.
My GPS uses 5V power with 48mA working current.

If I attach the GPS directly onto the AR.Drone's serial port, it is powered from the USB +5V VBUS Pin (with dwc_otg.ko loaded).
If I attach the GPS onto Arduino Nano, it is powered from the Nano's +5V Pin.
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Last edited by MAPGPS; Apr 15, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:34 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
ar drone over grass

miru

I have done both of the previous mods on an AR Drone and my brother is doing your version of RC control now on his drone. With the nosaari conversion the drone would not fly over grass or some rugs without losing pitch and roll control. Does your conversion have the same problem if it does do you have a fix for it?

I have this 6 channel Tx/Rx, it is only $31 and worked fine for me.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html .
My bother has this Tx/Rx which is almost the same TX/Rx as mine but cost a little more with shipping to USA.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9042
Thanks for your hard work on this conversion.

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerhead View Post
With the nosaari conversion the drone would not fly over grass or some rugs without losing pitch and roll control. Does your conversion have the same problem if it does do you have a fix for it?
I have not experienced it lately, but then there is no grass out here, just dirt and some weeds. I am logging most flights (commands and navdata) so when it happens, I'll have data to see what is going on and provide a fix. If you can reproduce it, LAND + FTRIM, use FM_2 (the one where it is not told to hover) and let me know what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerhead View Post
I have this 6 channel Tx/Rx, it is only $31 and worked fine for me.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html .
My bother has this Tx/Rx which is almost the same TX/Rx as mine but cost a little more with shipping to USA.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9042
Thanks for your hard work on this conversion.

Larry
Did you do a range check on these, very reasonable, radios?

miru
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:29 AM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello Miru,

How do you log navdata... ?

I have a projet to stabilyze horizontaly a FPV cam by reading the pitch navdata info and then setting a tilt servo with the arduino...

I went through the AR.drone sdk, and I examined a code in java from mapgps... So I have some clue about it, but if you already did the routine in your code to read and exploit the navdata, I would be very interesting to have some info to find it in your code...

Thank's

Laurent
Lorenzo29 is offline Find More Posts by Lorenzo29
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo29 View Post
Hello Miru,

How do you log navdata... ?

I have a projet to stabilyze horizontaly a FPV cam by reading the pitch navdata info and then setting a tilt servo with the arduino...

I went through the AR.drone sdk, and I examined a code in java from mapgps... So I have some clue about it, but if you already did the routine in your code to read and exploit the navdata, I would be very interesting to have some info to find it in your code...

Thank's

Laurent
Hi Laurent,

check linux/drdat.c in drs003.zip, it knows how to get command data from 'at2so', navdata and video data from drone that runs 1.5.1 . 1.4.6/7 interface is not implemented, but no problem.
In a nutshell (1.5.1): Make a UDP socket and send a little endian binary 1 to the navdata port of the drone (4 bytes), it will send navdata back to the port where the 1 came from. If you send a binary 2, it will broadcast navdata to multicast address 224.1.1.1:5554 so you can have multiple observers. Same applies to the video port 5556.
On 1.4.6/7 the destination port of nav/vid-data is 5554/6, which is not a problem if you are on a computer different from drone. On the drone these port numbers are occupied by the firmware.

The problem you will be facing is that you can't really talk to the 16Mhz Arduino at 115200 unless you spoon feed it 1 byte at a time (see NOTES USART). Best solution is to change the crystal. Second best would be to have the rx2atp/at2so pair change speed of the tty to something the Arduino receiver can handle.

Have you tried rev 0.03 yet?

miru