Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:18 AM
I like to fly!
United States, WI, Monona
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
Discussion
Top Flight Cessna 182 - Finishing Options

Hi everyone,
I was recently given an almost-completed Top Flight Cessna 182 Skylane. The wingspan is about 82" and it looks great and really scale. I even have the one-piece molded wheel pants and the interior detailing kit with seats, sides, etc. It still needs all the tail surfaces installed, an aileron rebuilt, a new fuel tank, some sanding and filler, etc, as it has been sitting around for quite a while from what it appears, but it also needs to be covered. With all the detailing parts, I think it would be a waste to cover the plane in monokote, but I don't think it would be worth it to fiberglass the entire thing and I've never done it before. A co-worker who gave the plane to me (the plane was given to him, and he passed it down to me) said he researched it and, apparently, found some people mixing epoxy 50/50 with something else. it was spread on the plane's balsa sheeting and, once dried, could be sanded before painting everything. I would love to do that, but I'm not sure what else it was mixed with. Help, anyone?

The other thing is I would like to do lighting. Unfortunately, the plane is already built and sheeted. I think I could get wires through the wings to the wingtips, but I'm not sure about how to do the tail beacon. Maybe cut a channel for the wire and run it up the inside of the hinge of the rudder, and it could enter the fuselage where the rudder controls do. I think it could be possible. Does anyone know of any kits out there that would be good for this kind of plane? The scale is roughly 1/5 (1/5 11/48 to be exact, I believe).

This is my first plane this size and I'm really excited to start finishing it all up.

Thanks,

Alex

Attached is the paint scheme I was thinking of for the finished thing
alexkmmll is offline Find More Posts by alexkmmll
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:31 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,913 Posts
You seem to have your mind made up. They are probably thinning the epoxy, using denatured alcohol, and saturating the wood, in an attempt to stabilize it for painting.

In my opinion, it's not the best option.

If it were mine, I'd glass it with 1/2 oz cloth, and finishing resin. It WILL stabilize the wood, and provide an excellent surface for paint. It's only marginally more difficult that what you are asking about, but I believe that it provides a far superior result.

If I didn't want to do that, I'd use a plastic covering, with your option as a distant last on my list.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,561 Posts
I'm with Tom on that. My preferred method is West System.epoxy used to apply the 1/2 oz cloth.

Will outline complete procedure if you are interested. It sounds a lot harder than it really is and is one of my favorite modeling duties.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jun 27, 2013, 01:34 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,289 Posts
Here is a good article on "glassing". In fact this whole website is a wealth of information.

http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...nish/index.htm

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
There are lots of different options and thoughts out there regarding fiberglassing. I have glassed a few 1/4 scale gliders using West System epoxy and 3/4 oz cloth and in each case it gave a magnificent finish, it is not the cheapest option but the results are well worth it. My last glassing effort was on my TopFlite Skylane and I used 3/4 oz cloth again but tried a water based polyurethane, results came out just as good as using epoxy but much cheaper.
The following link is a good reference on how to go about it:

http://www.tompierce.net/190/html/paint/glassing.htm

You can also find lots of info on the Skylane build here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55...tm.htm#5531029
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:59 PM
I like to fly!
United States, WI, Monona
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies! I've been researching fiberglassing as well, and you guys have encouraged me to give it a try here. I've already ordered everything I need from work (I work at the LHS here), so I'll be all set next week. I'm thinking about grabbing the robart version for the nose wheel strut because the one it comes with is really ugly, but it will depend on cost.

By the way, does anyone know of any good lighting kits that would work here? Like I said, there will be a few problems with installing, but I'm trying to work around them here.

Thanks everyone,

Alex
alexkmmll is offline Find More Posts by alexkmmll
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:33 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,812 Posts
I would highly suggest you glass it. I ended up with a few planes over the years that were just wood sealed then painted. I dont know how long it took but the wood eventually cracked. I've seen several at swap meets that had the same problem.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,191 Posts
Lights are fairly easy

Check with hangar 9 for a lighting kit...We used the available kit for the 1/4 scale Super Cub..
A little pricey, but very good quality.

I drilled through the vertical fin with a 24" 1/4" bit,and retro fitted the beacon...From the tail cone you can 'fish' the wire under the floor boards.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2010
76 Posts
Hi to all! I also just acquired a new in the box Cessna 182 kit V1.0. It promises to be an exciting and challenging build which I really look forward to doing.

Alex, your questions regarding finishing and painting are really timely, as I was wondering the same.

Crowe, I think you are right on with the 3/4 oz glass cloth and water based acrylic. I recently strengthened a Cularis foamie fuselage from TE forward as that apparently is a weak area. I used 5 oz cloth but first I had to CA it it to the foam as the acrylic would not stick to the Multiplex foam. I then used the acrylic to seal and fill with excellent results. I don't think you would need to CA it over the balsa in this case, although it might add some strength. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks Crowe and Ken for the web sites, I will check them out.

Jack
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:43 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,431 Posts
Eze-Kote

I have 'glassed' a plane with Eze-Kote from Horizon and really like it - didn't all any weight to speak of and would highly recommend it!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined May 2010
76 Posts
Eze-Kote

Thanks Tailskid2. I looked it up and it does have excellent reviews. Another option to consider. It will be awhile before I'm ready to paint so I can think about it some more.

Jack
Jack McC is offline Find More Posts by Jack McC