SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub(Hobbyzone) engine/electrical problem

First, I am a beginner and more of a beginner than my son. I bought him a Hobbyzone Super Cub to begin our journey into RC planes. On the maiden voyage we had a few crashes. Took out the cowling, wing supports but nothing to stop the plane. On the second outing with a duct taped cowling, the plane flew for a bit then the motor stopped while in the air. Nose dive onto pavement. Busted up the engine mount. We replaced the engine mount. As we tested the engine, it would start up and then stop. This happened several times until it would not start up at all. Rudder and rear stablizer worked fine. We thought it the radio and took that apart. It looked fine. Called around and learned that the speed controller probably shorted when we crashed. Advised to put a fuse inline and replace the speed controller. Replaced speed controller(with the correct channel) and the engine still will not run when the throttle is activated. Rear stablizer and rudder work fine. Next we replaced the motor. Still nothing. Battery checks out, other controls work fine and I am at a loss for ideas. Have used a voltmeter to check the contacts at the engine. Not measuring any voltage with the throttle activated. Any ideas from the group?

Thanks
Yamabiker
yamabiker is offline Find More Posts by yamabiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,351 Posts
Take the fuse out. It really won't help you and may be screwing things up. It's just another thing to fail and really won't protect the ESC.

Disconnect ACT (pull the plugs and tape them out of the way). Contrary to the much vaunted HZ marketing the feature is complete crap. Once unplugged the switch will act as a Dual Rate with controls being 'softer' in the on position.

If that doesn't work, replace the ESC/RX.....(sigh) again. Call Horizon-they'll probably give you one free. The ESC/RX is a terrible little thing that gives people fits. If you stop the prop for ANY reason for even 1-2 seconds while power is on it'll burn up.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:25 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Sure sounds like the LVC is kicking in. Not sure if your aware but once the battery reaches a low enough level the ESC will stop the motor. It can be restarted for a few seconds by lowering the throttle stick back to low and then advancing it again. Eventually if you keep restarting it with the low battery it will refuse to run at all as the battery is really to low now to power the motor at all. It will still power the radio at all times as this requires a lot less voltage/amps than the motor draws. Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery terminals? Should be 12.6 volts or close for a freshly charged battery. Good luck and the cub is a great little trainer.
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. We will try them out. Can't wait to get the bird in the air again.

Yamabiker
yamabiker is offline Find More Posts by yamabiker
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Super Cub Motor won't turn off

I just replaced the motor on my super cub, once i got everything back together and plugged the battery in the motor will not stop. I did verify the rutters work fine from the remote but not matter what i do with the throttle it is always on full.

Any insight to the issue would be great.
bagg222 is offline Find More Posts by bagg222
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagg222 View Post
I just replaced the motor on my super cub, once i got everything back together and plugged the battery in the motor will not stop. I did verify the rutters work fine from the remote but not matter what i do with the throttle it is always on full.

Any insight to the issue would be great.
Let me guess, you replaced the motor because you crashed it.
When you crashed it you didn't think in the moment to turn off the throttle and you burned up the ESC (see post #4). Been there, done that.

Told you it gives people fits.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
wingymaster is offline Find More Posts by wingymaster
Last edited by wingymaster; Mar 09, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5,351 Posts
Water may in the ESC - shorts it out. If not ruined FULLY drying may bring it back.
If you forgot to kill the throttle IMMEDIATELY you may have fried it.

Try running the motor with bare leads via a single D-cell. If it runs, it's OK. Hard to kill those motors. The ESC on the other hand is painfully easy to kill on the Cub.